The Dark Blues

Watcing the Dee On the Terracing

Rate this topic

For those old enough, what do you remember about watching Dundee from the terracing?

I used to worry about the life being crushed out of me as a kid when if we scored in the derby because there always seemed to be a bit on a stampede and pure mayhem with elbows everywhere.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old away end at the dump, either behind the goal or in the 'seggy' was terrifying at times for a young kid. Quickly learn not to lean on the crush barriers at a derby, about had my lungs crushed w

Do you still go to bed at 6.30 on Christmas Eve to try to make sure you're sleeping when Santa comes?  

I know what you mean. When the surge started you were praying your legs were going faster than the guys behind you. 😂

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

For those old enough, what do you remember about watching Dundee from the terracing?

I used to worry about the life being crushed out of me as a kid when if we scored in the derby because there always seemed to be a bit on a stampede and pure mayhem with elbows everywhere.

I know what you mean. When the surge started you were praying your legs were going faster than the guys behind you. 😂

• Like 1

The old away end at the dump, either behind the goal or in the 'seggy' was terrifying at times for a young kid. Quickly learn not to lean on the crush barriers at a derby, about had my lungs crushed when the crowd surged forward, eyes popping out the head 🤪

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The old away end at the dump, either behind the goal or in the 'seggy' was terrifying at times for a young kid. Quickly learn not to lean on the crush barriers at a derby, about had my lungs crushed when the crowd surged forward, eyes popping out the head 🤪

Was that the "cliff" on the north side of the dump? Remember being there one October with fireworks being tossed back and forth. Muirton was always good for a laugh as well. Segregation on terrace but not in the bogs!

Me and the Old Man would always go behind the goal at Tannadice - slightly less mayhem when we scored than the cliff!  

Always remember the 3-1 win at the dump in '87. I was 7yrs old, my Grandad took me and my older brother to the game, queues for the 'seggy' or 'cliff' were right down the street, didn't get in until after the match had kicked off. Just remember running up the steps ahead of my Grandad and brother as soon as I was through the turnstile, got to the top, squeezed between two guys who were standing at the back, just in time to see Super Tommy Coyne put us 1-0 up. Brilliant memory that :D 

• Love 1

Me and my mates always used to stand just in front of the crush barriers at Tannadice.

Standing there you had a chance of not being caught in the tidal wave after we scored.

41 minutes ago, OCDee said:

Me and my mates always used to stand just in front of the crush barriers at Tannadice.

Standing there you had a chance of not being caught in the tidal wave after we scored.

I did the same, never seemed to work for some reason

Standing on The Cliff was highlight of any season for me. The crush of bodies, songs, atmosphere, mental surges and celebrations when we scored.

Regardless of whether we leave or remain at Dens, would love to turn the clock back and create a terrace, as steep as permissible, for safe standing in line with modern safety standards.

3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

I did the same, never seemed to work for some reason

You're right, it didn't. It could be pretty scary as a youngster in there but it was the only place I wanted to be when we were at the dump. The only time I went behind the goal was when we went in at the Tannadice Street turnstiles and didn't know a fence had been put up splitting behind the goal and the cliff.

Nothing to beat being up the back of the South Enclosure when packed although usually ended up about halfway down when we scored 😂

On 14/07/2020 at 15:41, Barfly said:

Standing on The Cliff was highlight of any season for me. The crush of bodies, songs, atmosphere, mental surges and celebrations when we scored.

Regardless of whether we leave or remain at Dens, would love to turn the clock back and create a terrace, as steep as permissible, for safe standing in line with modern safety standards.

Agree, terracing could be magic, really miss it.

27 minutes ago, johan scott said:

Agree, terracing could be magic, really miss it.

I don't to be honest, probably because of getting older too but I'm more than happy to have a seat at the football. Been to plenty 'wee' grounds over the years that I've stood at and don't mind it but I'm sort of used to having a seat now. I doubt there would be so many women at the football if we were still on the terraces moving around as much, probably a lot more scary for them. 

While I doubt I'd use it, I'd like to see some safe standing at the Campy Nou, get the young ones all excited and jumping about.

I went to Glasgow with my mates for the last Rous Cup game at Hampden. We were all 14. I remember thinking "this is insane". Tens of thousands of drunk folk swaying in unison on the terracing, and that was before a goal was scored.