Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Scouting

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Stuart Armstrong scored the opening goal at Old Trafford tonight while Andy Robertson is widely considered the best left back on the planet. 

Did United get lucky or do they have a better scouting system than us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See Robbie Raeside (under 15's coach) has volunteered to work for nothing. Well done Robbie! 👍 

It could be a combination of factors. We have equally seen proven ‘quality’ players come to Dens and spectacularly flop. I think it was @harry94 who pointed out that a lot of our recruitment has been

I like a few of the lads coming through but unfortunately injury and coronavirus prevented a few of them getting game time out on loan. Fisher injured his cruciate after impressing at East Kilbri

7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Stuart Armstrong scored the opening goal at Old Trafford tonight while Andy Robertson is widely considered the best left back on the planet. 

Did United get lucky or do they have a better scouting system than us?

Did they no steal Robertson fae queens park

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mitch said:

Did they no steal Robertson fae queens park

Aye they shafted QP to get Robertson for buttons. Still, an pretty impressive find for them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

For that I give you Ure, Gilzean, Cooke, Duncan , Steele, Strachan.

All played around top in England. Would Hegarty, Sturrock, Narey be found out? Ralphie was big time.

I know historically we've found diamonds at the lower end of Scottish football but not this century.

Strachan's comments suggest you need a miracle these days to find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BCram said:

But to find that miracle you at least have to have someone looking.

True. I just wonder if Andy Robertson and Jamie Vardy really are one-offs or whether there are lots of players with that potential that just need the right opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Aye they shafted QP to get Robertson for buttons. Still, an pretty impressive find for them.

 

We played Queens Park in the cup at Hampden a few years ago, anyone who was at the game would have noticed Robertson tearing up and down the park for the ninety minutes...he was outstanding...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BCram said:

But to find that miracle you at least have to have someone looking.

👏👏👏

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

True. I just wonder if Andy Robertson and Jamie Vardy really are one-offs or whether there are lots of players with that potential that just need the right opportunity.

I think there must be youngsters who have potential in parts of their game and they miss out on the coaching that would help them to overcome their weaker areas. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I know historically we've found diamonds at the lower end of Scottish football but not this century.

Strachan's comments suggest you need a miracle these days to find them.

We managed to pick up a couple of boys from Cowdenbeath a few years back.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've probably got one of the worst Recruitment Processes out of all the full-time teams in Scotland, seems it's all down to the manager to find players through contacts, we signed duds like Mandianga and Ngwatala because Jackie Mac recommend them to McCann, If we had a department dedicated to Recruitment with the wages we throw at players we wouldn't be in a constant mess.

  • Star Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For as long as I can remember United have been a better prospect for young players. They had the pick from The J League at Gussie Park and had a look at plenty players in the DDYFA.

Queens park did the hard work with Andy Robertson and Barry Douglas, it's a reflection on football in the Glasgow area that none of the clubs in a higher league would take a chance on either player.

I will give United credit for scouting Stuart Armstrong in Aberdeen.

If we had Robertson, Douglas and Armstrong we would have been ripped off by the Old Firm and sold all three for pennies, probably due to a clause in their contracts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

For that I give you Ure, Gilzean, Cooke, Duncan , Steele, Strachan.

All played around top in England. Would Hegarty, Sturrock, Narey be found out? Ralphie was big time.

Andy Gray and Ray Stewart had good top-flight careers...Big Duncan is still a hero at Everton.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

We managed to pick up a couple of boys from Cowdenbeath a few years back.

The Blue Brazil were at the level of Ayr back then. Brilliant signings from Hartley but I'm wondering if there are diamonds in the bottom two divisions or lower. 

Martin Boyle is a player we helped become a top player but I can't think of many other examples in recent times. I remember being hopeful about Monti but that ultimately didn't work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.