The Dark Blues

Sectarianism

Rate this topic

39 minutes ago, Barfly said:

Your last sentence exposes the root of football-related sectarianism in Scotland. The SFA doesn't possess the backbone to get involved and would rather turn a blind eye and pretend there's no serious issue to address. Do they view tackling sectarianism as restraint of trade on the OF?

At continental level, UEFA need to put the boot in and impose severe sanctions to embarrass and humiliate the OF and SFA to the point where meaningful action becomes obligatory.

The attitude of the person you spoke to a few weeks ago demonstrates a closed mind  The type of mindset that believed colonialism, slavery, exploitation and cruelty were acceptable so long as it brought great wealth to our nation. Just part of our heritage I guess.

Shameful.

For UEFA its not a massive problem, a couple clubs who often don't progress that far..... For Scotland its a much bigger chunk of our game. I don't think I can recall playing the OF where some sort of sectarian singing/chanting didn't take place. I'm not going to come over all faux offended, I find it saddening that there is still the willingness to buy into this in the attempt to cause offence rather than take offence. Its became the semi acceptable face of shitty behaviour in Scotland. Can't abuse people because of their colour or sexuality, no problem, I can default to the sectarian guff to get my rant on knowing that I'm surrounded by thousands of others.

For me this is something we should be sorting out here, whether that's the SFA, the Scottish Government or the police that are pushing this. There is already legislation in place, there was no need for the extra 'super dooper' football sectarian stuff, what was the point of introducing more legislation when the current one wasn't being enforced. If the country is wanting to eradicate this, at least from football then the unpopular (in certain circles anyway) decisions will have to be made and the policies pushed through.

• Like 2
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UEFA have a three-step protocol for tackling racism from the stands. This was seen to good effect last year when England visited Bulgaria and the game was stopped twice due to crowd-related racist inc

I saw that.......surely he should have posted it yesterday...........the 12th

It's hard to argue with him - any discrimination is bad and maybe we shouldn't have a hierarchy when talking about discrimination.  

26 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

For UEFA its not a massive problem, a couple clubs who often don't progress that far..... For Scotland its a much bigger chunk of our game. I don't think I can recall playing the OF where some sort of sectarian singing/chanting didn't take place. I'm not going to come over all faux offended, I find it saddening that there is still the willingness to buy into this in the attempt to cause offence rather than take offence. Its became the semi acceptable face of shitty behaviour in Scotland. Can't abuse people because of their colour or sexuality, no problem, I can default to the sectarian guff to get my rant on knowing that I'm surrounded by thousands of others.

For me this is something we should be sorting out here, whether that's the SFA, the Scottish Government or the police that are pushing this. There is already legislation in place, there was no need for the extra 'super dooper' football sectarian stuff, what was the point of introducing more legislation when the current one wasn't being enforced. If the country is wanting to eradicate this, at least from football then the unpopular (in certain circles anyway) decisions will have to be made and the policies pushed through.

Scottish govt has a new bill coming up to deal with stuff like this. They failed to sort out the football crowds now they have decided to tackle all sorts of "hate speak". 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, BCram said:

Scottish govt has a new bill coming up to deal with stuff like this. They failed to sort out the football crowds now they have decided to tackle all sorts of "hate speak". 

Let's hope the outcome is a vast improvement on the discredited Offensive Behaviour At Football Act.

Mutterings already suggesting that proposed legislation will face serious challenges and be difficult to implement a la freedom of religious speech and expression needs to be respected, blah, blah.

Let's not violate the rights of Green Brigade, Union Bears, full time bigots and pseudo terrorists/freedom fighters to freedom of speech and expression. Their traditions and heritage are under siege. It's unjustified and completely unfair. 😆

Poor wee lambs. Yawn. 🥱

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

All of those strands together can provide a solution if the will exists.

9 minutes ago, Barfly said:

Let's hope the outcome is a vast improvement on the discredited Offensive Behaviour At Football Act.

Mutterings already suggesting that proposed legislation will face serious challenges and be difficult to implement a la freedom of religious speech and expression needs to be respected, blah, blah.

Let's not violate the rights of Green Brigade, Union Bears, full time bigots and pseudo terrorists/freedom fighters to freedom of speech and expression. Their traditions and heritage are under siege. It's unjustified and completely unfair. 😆

Poor wee lambs. Yawn. 🥱

I agree, but I think there is something to worry about with the proposed new legislation.

21 minutes ago, BCram said:

I agree, but I think there is something to worry about with the proposed new legislation.

I haven't followed this closely enough to form an opinion to date.

I'm guessing you think the bill proposals go too far? Debates, opposition and amendments may yet alter the trajectory.

1 hour ago, BCram said:

This could get very messy when you start throwing in the religious aspect and I'm not talking about the knuckle draggers at the football, i'm on about the 'Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve' types. 

When it comes to all this stuff I'm with a couple of avant garde free thinking types (who have got a new film coming out soon).

0772725c6a4a7b8238592bb1031baec9.gif

3 minutes ago, Barfly said:

I haven't followed this closely enough to form an opinion to date.

I'm guessing you think the bill proposals go too far? Debates, opposition and amendments may yet alter the trajectory.

I don't know anything about the new bill either, will be have a nose later on. BCram, if you have any links I'd appreciate it mate.

8 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I don't know anything about the new bill either, will be have a nose later on. BCram, if you have any links I'd appreciate it mate.

Front page of a well known left wing paper, laidy lima. 🤔

• Like 1