The Dark Blues

Greatest British Bands

Rate this topic

Before my time by I thought Joy Division were pretty special and the follow-up New Order did some great stuff.

Who stands out for you in the history of British music?

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it depends on your age and taste in music. I was a Caird Hall steward for many years in the 70s and saw all the great bands that used to include Dundee in their tours at the time. Getting pa

Before my time by I thought Joy Division were pretty special and the follow-up New Order did some great stuff. Who stands out for you in the history of British music?

Surprised no one has mentioned Showaddywaddy yet.

I suppose it depends on your age and taste in music. I was a Caird Hall steward for many years in the 70s and saw all the great bands that used to include Dundee in their tours at the time. Getting paid, albeit a small amount, to watch Led Zeppelin, ELP, Bowie, Genesis, Deep Purple, etc.etc. was brilliant. Best for me were The Who, Queen and Free with Free being my favourite band of the time. Just wish Pink Floyd had played the Caird Hall though. Finally there was a downside. You had to suffer some crap at the same time e.g. Bay City Rollers!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

I suppose it depends on your age and taste in music. I was a Caird Hall steward for many years in the 70s and saw all the great bands that used to include Dundee in their tours at the time. Getting paid, albeit a small amount, to watch Led Zeppelin, ELP, Bowie, Genesis, Deep Purple, etc.etc. was brilliant. Best for me were The Who, Queen and Free with Free being my favourite band of the time. Just wish Pink Floyd had played the Caird Hall though. Finally there was a downside. You had to suffer some crap at the same time e.g. Bay City Rollers!

A good few top bands in there.  It's around 49 years since I bought my first 7" single, so in that time you could have a lot of the names above, add in the Stones and personally I would have the Stone Roses, The Clash and Roxy Music.  Personally I am a big Simple Minds fan and although plenty people think their music is a bit insipid, Coldplay have sold millions of records, packed out concerts world-wide so they must be doing something right.

My first ever gig was at the Caird hall, Gillan's Magic Tour in '82. They even had naughty ladies dancing on stage with next to nothing on..... for this 14 year old that was the icing on the cake. 😁

4 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Iron Maiden

The end!

Was a fan 'back in the day', saw them at the Glasgow Apollo about 84. Still like a bit of metal, I'm more open to all sorts now though.