The Dark Blues

Dfc Fanzines

Rate this topic

We must have had about 3 or 4, maybe 5. I absolutely loved it when I found a new one on sale at the top of the hill or in the music shop by the Nethergate? Who were the guys who knocked these up? Anyone on here? 

Before the internet, these guys gave us a brilliant alternative to the odd bit of bland coverage we got in media.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh Mind of Gillie had Grimbo  as editor in chief. I was a contributor for a few years (Mostly captions and jokes/photos) as was several of our mutual work colleagues. Was a real team effort and I

Eh Mind o Gillie was done by Alan Patullo, now journo at The Scotsman.

Was Robin Grimmond not involved in Eh Mind O' Gillie? Sure he was posting on here recently. I've still got a copy of an EMOG lying around somewhere, will try dig it out and upload shots of it.

It's half past four and we're two nil down, Derry Rhumba, Eh mind O'Gillie and Dens Scene are four I remember. I think there was another one that had 1 or 2 prints then disappeared. 

My favourite was It's half past four and we're two nil down was good humour without being crass, it was them or Derry Rhumba that did free badges with a few additions.

• Love 1

I enjoyed them all.

If anyone reading this was involved in making these fanzines, take a bow.

You made a big effort to entertain a generation of Dees, and you succeeded.

• Like 1

Happy Days 🙌🏻

I’ve still got the Derry Rumba Fanzine

‘UTD ARE SH**E’ badge on Me Scarf 😍

Robin Grimmond was One or The D’EEvil Mastermind behind ‘Eh Mind O Gillie’ and a Good Guy to boot.

It’s on my bucket list 😂 to digitise the ones I still have and put the links on the forum for a look back and a wee laugh.

Would be interesting to see how many could be sourced and listed up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Eh Mind o Gillie was done by Alan Patullo, now journo at The Scotsman.

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense that some of the country's top journalists might emerge from fanzines.

Sat behind him at Dingwall not that long ago. Didn't bother him but he and Patrick Barclay seemed just as chilled and approachable as you'd expect from their media work.

2 hours ago, DeeVinci said:

It's half past four and we're two nil down, Derry Rhumba, Eh mind O'Gillie and Dens Scene are four I remember. I think there was another one that had 1 or 2 prints then disappeared. 

My favourite was It's half past four and we're two nil down was good humour without being crass, it was them or Derry Rhumba that did free badges with a few additions.

Happy days.  The Sleeping giant was another I remember.  Dont think it made it past one issue though.   Can anyone remember the early issue of derry rhumba or its half past four that came with a free straw ? 😂

Edited by Annandee
2 hours ago, Cobra said:

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense that some of the country's top journalists might emerge from fanzines.

Sat behind him at Dingwall not that long ago. Didn't bother him but he and Patrick Barclay seemed just as chilled and approachable as you'd expect from their media work.

Alan Patullo is friends with the couple who sit behind us (think HIS parents are more pals to be honest), the journos are at the top of the Mainstand behind us so he sometimes stops to blether with them. Get the impression he knows his own keech stinks.

Was Robin Grimmond not involved in Eh Mind O' Gillie? Sure he was posting on here recently.

I've still got a copy of an EMOG lying around somewhere, will try dig it out and upload shots of it.

• Like 3

Eh Mind of Gillie had Grimbo  as editor in chief. I was a contributor for a few years (Mostly captions and jokes/photos) as was several of our mutual work colleagues.

Was a real team effort and I enjoyed those times immensely and always looked forward to its publication.

The others were great too but I think EMOG lasted the longest??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Plus EMOG won The National Fanzine Football tournament at Stirling beating Hibs in the final.

Career highlight for me was banging in a few goals against the DABS Fanzine guys with Jim Spence in goal!!!!  ;oD

(we even got a grudging mention in the Tully!!)

That era (mid 90s) was tops for following Dundee.

• Like 3

I’ve still got a few, there one with Jim Duffy on a chariot on the front cover when he resigned from thistle after his injury, I’ll have to go to my mums and dig them out, there was also one that had a hand drawn poster off billy Dodds in it 

• Like 2

I sadly miss the Dundee fanzines.Robin,Alanand their contributiors did a great job. Living in Bristol I was unable to get other publications. If on my football travels I see fanzines for sale I always buy a copy but again sadly they are becoming a thing of the past. However the magazine “When Saturday Comes” is still going strong thankfully and they have featured Dundee on occasions.

• Like 2

The ones I remember are:

Derry Rhumba

Its Half Past 4

The Sleeping Giant

Dens Scene

The Beloved

Eh Mind O’ Gillie

Derry Rhumba was the first Dundee fanzine and Eh Mind O’ Gillie came out as most of the rest came to the end of their run. It was the longest running by far.

Derry Rhumba was appallingly racist. One issue featured a cartoon of Raphael Meade with bones through his nose, carrying a spear etc. Horrible, horrible stuff. 

It’s Half Past 4 was probably one of the best football fanzines in Britain at the time.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Alan Patullo is friends with the couple who sit behind us (think HIS parents are more pals to be honest), the journos are at the top of the Mainstand behind us so he sometimes stops to blether with them. Get the impression he knows his own keech stinks.

What does that all mean?