The Dark Blues

do We Really Need Another Fund Raising Source To Help Our Club?

Rate this topic

I SAY YES, MAYBE WE DO.

I think the latest idea from the Club is commendable and even in this very early stage, it has got of to a tremendous start. But I would be even more delighted if Our Forum (With 1500 plus current members) could independently take a lead here and show just how much we are capable of raising.

Maybe asking £10 a month from DFC Fans/Supporters towards the survival or running costs is not so much.  But to be honest, I think it is a bit too much even for me at this time ... And I have a feeling it may also be a stretch for some others as well who may be struggling financially ...  out of work, or living on benefits ... And yet already supporting their Club, in many other ways.

The following idea I accept may be no more than a dream, but it may give room for thought and open up a constructive discussion ...

More than anything I want DFC to survive. Not only that, I want it to be successful. And become again Dundee City's Leading Club. And I still think this can happen. Although probably not again, in my lifetime.

But just about as important to me personally, is the success of Our Forum. We all know it is the best. And the one, others try to copy (okay I accept I am biased here and it may well be only my opinion)

If each of the Present, Current, Forum Members (1500) contributed/committed, a £1 per week (£4 per month) over a 12 month period that would amounting to a grand total of £72, 000 annually from TDBF (Our Forum) towards the funding of DFC (Our Club) ... (Jings hope eh did meh sums right here)

I am sure (and probably rightly) others will say, it would be absolutely impossible to sign up every forum member.

Possibly so... But we are talking here of Only £1 per week (No more and no less) No need for big contributions.

If you feel there is some merit in this idea (or even if you don't) I would still like to hear what other members think.

I think Our Forum (Admin John, Scott, all Staff & Members are way ahead the best) Let's now make a real mark...

If we can New Members on to TDBF, contributions will increase And Our Forum will be even better ... Any Ideas?

Meanwhile it's Well Done & Thanks to everyone, who continue to contribute to TDBF and of course the DFC:chaplin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm one of the one's that can't afford £10 a month and would also struggle at £5. I enter prize draws/bonus ball draws as and when I can afford them. I've been doing the 50/50 draw as I would buy a co

13 dees in my watts app group 6 contributed a 10er a month 1 contributed 20 a month... none are season ticket holders, but happy to contribute in this small way. only a £1000 a yea

Early days methinks. This needs fuel and enthusiasm and ongoing promo. Not left to wither after a few weeks. Evidence of fund use will energise fans if they see it used wisely and in a way that improv

15 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I SAY YES, MAYBE WE DO.

I think the latest idea from the Club is commendable and even in this very early stage, it has got of to a tremendous start. But I would be even more delighted if Our Forum (With 1500 plus current members) could independently take a lead here and show just how much we are capable of raising.

Maybe asking £10 a month from DFC Fans/Supporters towards the survival or running costs is not so much.  But to be honest, I think it is a bit too much even for me at this time ... And I have a feeling it may also be a stretch for some others as well who may be struggling financially ...  out of work, or living on benefits ... And yet already supporting their Club, in many other ways.

The following idea I accept may be no more than a dream, but it may give room for thought and open up a constructive discussion ...

More than anything I want DFC to survive. Not only that, I want it to be successful. And become again Dundee City's Leading Club. And I still think this can happen. Although probably not again, in my lifetime.

But just about as important to me personally, is the success of Our Forum. We all know it is the best. And the one, others try to copy (okay I accept I am biased here and it may well be only my opinion)

If each of the Present, Current, Forum Members (1500) contributed/committed, a £1 per week (£4 per month) over a 12 month period that would amounting to a grand total of £72, 000 annually from TDBF (Our Forum) towards the funding of DFC (Our Club) ... (Jings hope eh did meh sums right here)

I am sure (and probably rightly) others will say, it would be absolutely impossible to sign up every forum member.

Possibly so... But we are talking here of Only £1 per week (No more and no less) No need for big contributions.

If you feel there is some merit in this idea (or even if you don't) I would still like to hear what other members think.

I think Our Forum (Admin John, Scott, all Staff & Members are way ahead the best) Let's now make a real mark...

If we can New Members on to TDBF, contributions will increase And Our Forum will be even better ... Any Ideas?

Meanwhile it's Well Done & Thanks to everyone, who continue to contribute to TDBF and of course the DFC:chaplin:

Certainly the idea of a combined contribution has a lot of merit, Gedee. Not everyone has a spare tenner a month to commit but a spare fiver or less,  maybe.

I just wonder if the forum can commit to x number of £100 memberships and the forum members would make a donation to the forum to pay for them? Any prizes could be raffled off to contributing members.

One concern/thought I have though is that the new scheme won't necessarily bring in 'new' money, rather take money from other revenue streams instead. I'm not necessarily opposed to that as admin costs etc can be reduced but let's not forget the great efforts that many have made/are making to chip in.

Ultimately, folk who wish to contribute can and those who don't needn't.

• Like 1

Major problem is that you should never assume that anyone who has committed to donate any amount of money will continue to do so in the medium to long term. Individuals can discontinue their contributions at any time.

Anyway, and without damping your enthusiasm too much Gedee, there are more than enough methods of putting cash into the club as it stands right now and at all levels of spend to suit most pockets. Another one might be the one that makes people say 'sod it'.

The number of DFC fund raisers going on right now is actually beginning to get to Comic Relief levels of asking for cash from people that might be able to afford it but also from many that realistically can't. And I'm sure that most of you, like me, just cannot stick that Comic Relief nonsense getting rammed down our throats every year.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

Certainly the idea of a combined contribution has a lot of merit, Gedee. Not everyone has a spare tenner a month to commit but a spare fiver or less,  maybe.

I just wonder if the forum can commit to x number of £100 memberships and the forum members would make a donation to the forum to pay for them? Any prizes could be raffled off to contributing members.

One concern/thought I have though is that the new scheme won't necessarily bring in 'new' money, rather take money from other revenue streams instead. I'm not necessarily opposed to that as admin costs etc can be reduced but let's not forget the great efforts that many have made/are making to chip in.

Ultimately, folk who wish to contribute can and those who don't needn't.

Thanks HK' for your helpful response& I appreciate it, because I do want a discussion to open up on this.

I pushed the idea of a £5 contribution, because I feel the regular monthly £10, may be a bit scary for some and frankly just that little bit too much for many. When things are tough, even £5 can seem a lot.

(If ye think eh'm going a bit over the top, jist ask Mrs G)...On reflection it's maybe better ye dinnae)

I take the point you make about whether it would bring in any "new" money & it may mean a bit of "shuffling around" But I still strongly believe there are lots of DFC Fans (especially at this time with the present momentum) who are eager to help, but are not in a position to commit too much, but might consider a wee bit less ... And it really does all add up.

But again to be honest, I would really like to see Our Forum leading the way on this... No one would disagree John,  Scott & others (staff & members) have given a great deal in time & money ...and at times a bit of pain & heartache to make this forum a success. And I make no apologies for stating, part of my thinking is ... They/we are due some credit for this. And if this did mean taking something from other sources, I am not sure I would lose any sleep over that.

I think TDBF led by Admin John & Scott deserve more recognition ... And More New Members.

SUPPORT DFC THROUGH TDBF. WHERE ARE YOU LADS & LASSES, THE FORUM NEEDS YOU?

Couple of things Gedee - firstly it strikes me that approx 1500 members of the forum is fantastic but I really wish that some of the large number of guests would sign up and contribute ( to the many threads). Secondly I totally agree with the power of the forum to potentially raise funds for player sponsorship etc in the past .  I had hoped that more members could donate 50p to the forum covid fundraiser to raise 750 but few members have - I realise lots of folks have split there contributions into many streams - all are important( as are small or large donations) but I like the idea of the forum doing some good with donations . Again I stress that nobody should contribute anything at all unless they can. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Major problem is that you should never assume that anyone who has committed to donate any amount of money will continue to do so in the medium to long term. Individuals can discontinue their contributions at any time.

Anyway, and without damping your enthusiasm too much Gedee, there are more than enough methods of putting cash into the club as it stands right now and at all levels of spend to suit most pockets. Another one might be the one that makes people say 'sod it'.

The number of DFC fund raisers going on right now is actually beginning to get to Comic Relief levels of asking for cash from people that might be able to afford it but also from many that realistically can't. And I'm sure that most of you, like me, just cannot stick that Comic Relief nonsense getting rammed down our throats every year.

Thanks for your response Prince ... As I was just about to send off my response to HK yours arrived.

You make a lot of fair points of course .... But maybe I have already addressed some in my last post.

I accept there are many DFC organised fund-raising schemes, which for probably many is off-putting.

No doubt a lot of hard work is going into the planning & organising of all of them ...So good for them.

Rightly or wrongly though, I feel want some of this focus to move onto the Dark Blues. Mon the Dee:chaplin:

9 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Thanks for your response Prince ... As I was just about to send off my response to HK yours arrived.

You make a lot of fair points of course .... But maybe I have already addressed some in my last post.

I accept there are many DFC organised fund-raising schemes, which for probably many is off-putting.

No doubt a lot of hard work is going into the planning & organising of all of them ...So good for them.

Rightly or wrongly though, I feel want some of this focus to move onto the Dark Blues. Mon the Dee:chaplin:

I'd rather any cash raised by forum members via the forum went on maintaining the forum if I'm honest.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Couple of things Gedee - firstly it strikes me that approx 1500 members of the forum is fantastic but I really wish that some of the large number of guests would sign up and contribute ( to the many threads). Secondly I totally agree with the power of the forum to potentially raise funds for player sponsorship etc in the past .  I had hoped that more members could donate 50p to the forum covid fundraiser to raise 750 but few members have - I realise lots of folks have split there contributions into many streams - all are important( as are small or large donations) but I like the idea of the forum doing some good with donations . Again I stress that nobody should contribute anything at all unless they can. 

Hi DBK .... I've only got as far as your opening line & I am already into responding (I was dying to say exactly the same thing when opening my topic, but quite rightly, probably felt I said enough)

However now you have raised this important point, I really do feel, as much as I appreciate visitors occasionally "poppin-in" to the forum would it not be better for them, the forum, and all active current members if those "visitors" would take the next step & sign-in?

(Chomp & me wid protect you "new folk" fae Admin John, who eh accept, can get himself a wee bit over-excited at times)

The rest of your post friend is as always, right on the mark. In fact maybe the comments are too sensible ...

So maybe we can have a bit less of that please.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ENGAGING IN TOPIC :wub:

• Funny 2
3 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I'd rather any cash raised by forum members via the forum went on maintaining the forum if I'm honest.

Hello again friend ... I popped in a "like" to your comment.

The reason being I am a bit of the same mind. Each of my posts here are praising Our Forum and initially I was going to suggest that if we could get every member to donate on here £5, then £1 of this should go towards the running & promotion of the Forum. It doesn't seem so much, but if the member numbers are there and they each contribute, even £1 regularly on a monthly basis, it would not only help the forum, it would also take some of the pain & pressure of John & Scott.

Anyway Prince, the reason I did not mention this directly, was because I thought it would cloud & confuse the main issue.

However, although the more action/contributions the better, let's keep this discussion going.

PS. Mrs G smiled at me today...Things are looking good again :excited:

2 minutes ago, Gedee said:

PS. Mrs G smiled at me today...Things are looking good again :excited:

I'd be extremely worried if Mrs. PB smiled at me. Chances are there would be a very long and sharp knife in her hand.

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

I'd be extremely worried if Mrs. PB smiled at me. Chances are there would be a very long and sharp knife in her hand.

I've got one of them too, if it wasn't 'knife in hand', there would be a Grand Piano or an anvil about to land on my napper.

13 dees in my watts app group

6 contributed a 10er a month

1 contributed 20 a month...

none are season ticket holders, but happy to contribute in this small way.

only a £1000 a year, but a £1000 the club wouldn’t have had.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Mr Sensible said:

13 dees in my watts app group

6 contributed a 10er a month

1 contributed 20 a month...

none are season ticket holders, but happy to contribute in this small way.

only a £1000 a year, but a £1000 the club wouldn’t have had.

Is that the @Wattie Rojas WhatsApp group 😂

I'm one of the one's that can't afford £10 a month and would also struggle at £5. I enter prize draws/bonus ball draws as and when I can afford them. I've been doing the 50/50 draw as I would buy a couple if I went to a match. I think it would be a good idea to keep it going during the closed season once the football starts up again. I've also signed up for the Dee lotto as I don't have the expense of traveling to matches at the moment.

Postie also arrived with the new top for Jason. 😁

Edited by Mary
Spelling
  • Like 9