The Dark Blues

Favourite Opening Day

Rate this topic

Couldn't believe my eyes as I watched Dundee race into a 3-0 lead in Dingwall this day.

Wasn't at Rugby Park to see this obscenely good performance.

Any others stand out?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Killie game.... there won't have been many Dees exiting the ground without a flow of blood to the nether regions and the delusion that this was going to be our year. 

2000 for me down at Motherwell, there was a buzz with the Bonettis and all the foreign signings, the atmosphere was buzzing and we won 2-0 which flattered Motherwell. It felt like a new dawn, like we

The next one we will be allowed to see.

That Killie game.... there won't have been many Dees exiting the ground without a flow of blood to the nether regions and the delusion that this was going to be our year. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I was at that game and for some reason can only remember the Harkins flick for the third goal. 

Certainly can't remember exiting the ground.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Huge disappointment that day, Kane couldn't hit a barn door. Had he had his shooting boots on it would have been at least 8-0. Moaned all the way home.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Couldn't wait for the next game.  Quality all over the park and from what has gone on since, wish I appreciated it more at the time.

Must be our best performance of the last 10 seasons or so.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, chomp my root said:

The pundits were purring on Sportscene that night. It was 4 going on 10. I thought, 'surely Dundee can't be this good'. Hearts visited Dens the following week and we murdered them for 45 minutes. I started to think we were the real deal but then Neilson's half-time team-talk brought me back to reality as we were bullied to defeat.

Still, at least we had a game and a half to marvel at perfection.

• Like 1

2000 for me down at Motherwell, there was a buzz with the Bonettis and all the foreign signings, the atmosphere was buzzing and we won 2-0 which flattered Motherwell. It felt like a new dawn, like we were going to win something big ... the opening match at Dens the week after was another big win 3-0 against the Pars I think and I can't remember being so happy at the start of the season, then some warning bells at Hibs when we lost 5-1 in week 3 the roller coaster never stopped from then on.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, DeeVinci said:

2000 for me down at Motherwell, there was a buzz with the Bonettis and all the foreign signings, the atmosphere was buzzing and we won 2-0 which flattered Motherwell. It felt like a new dawn, like we were going to win something big ... the opening match at Dens the week after was another big win 3-0 against the Pars I think and I can't remember being so happy at the start of the season, then some warning bells at Hibs when we lost 5-1 in week 3 the roller coaster never stopped from then on.

I didn't get to many games back then but I flew up for that and absolutely loved being in the away end that day.

On 25/07/2020 at 11:54, Attilio said:

Couldn't wait for the next game.  Quality all over the park and from what has gone on since, wish I appreciated it more at the time.

Must be our best performance of the last 10 seasons or so.  

Yep. In recent times it's that game for me.

Tragic really how it all went from there (again).

At HT v Hearts I really thought Hartley was the man. But we were bullied and kicked to defeat by a very ordinary, skill wise, Hearts team. It was a harsh lesson and we then spent a few years as a physically weak side in a physically strong league.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

At HT v Hearts I really thought Hartley was the man. But we were bullied and kicked to defeat by a very ordinary, skill wise, Hearts team. It was a harsh lesson and we then spent a few years as a physically weak side in a physically strong league.

Hartley was a god at HT v Hearts. 45 minutes later he was a naive fool. Who'd be a football manager eh.

PH actually assembled a fantastic team so deserves a lot of credit. It's just a pity he couldn't organise the defence and couldn't instil that nasty cynicism needed to consistently pick up points in Scotland.

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Hartley was a god at HT v Hearts. 45 minutes later he was a naive fool. Who'd be a football manager eh.

PH actually assembled a fantastic team so deserves a lot of credit. It's just a pity he couldn't organise the defence and couldn't instil that nasty cynicism needed to consistently pick up points in Scotland.

Given he played for Celtic and Hearts and was a winner at both clubs that aspect did surprise me.

3 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Given he played for Celtic and Hearts and was a winner at both clubs that aspect did surprise me.

He was a winner but I think he was an attacking midfielder focused on delivering in the final third. I got the impression he didn't really understand or care about the art of defending and just wanted the likes of O'Dea to deal with the problem of preventing the opposition from scoring.

I loved watching Stewart play but his body language spoke volumes about Hartley's attitude to defending. Stewart could do as he pleased and the object was to outscore the opposition. Great to watch at times but not ideal if you want to win a trophy or achieve a high finish.