The Dark Blues

Uighurs

Rate this topic

It is political and it should have nothing to do with football but the genocide happening in China is kind of a big deal, and the brands involved are going to affect DFC at some point.

I'm reading that Nike, Apple, BMW, Gap, Huawei, Samsung, Sony and Volkswagen are involved in forced labour of Uighurs.

Would we want DFC to avoid working with such companies or do we have other things to worry about?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any individual or company with links to human rights abuses or atrocities should be avoided like the plague. I don't think we should ever turn a blind eye. Newcastle fans shattered by the news th

Of course you couldn’t and neither would your grandad have been able to . It is far more important that DFC stands for decency and what is right . On that note I was very proud to hear this week about

97% of Newcastle fans wanted Saudi ownership. Somebody asked me tonight if I I'd accept that kind of ownership if it meant Dundee being successful and I said I couldn't look myself in the mirror if my

14 minutes ago, Cobra said:

It is political and it should have nothing to do with football but the genocide happening in China is kind of a big deal, and the brands involved are going to affect DFC at some point.

I'm reading that Nike, Apple, BMW, Gap, Huawei, Samsung, Sony and Volkswagen are involved in forced labour of Uighurs.

Would we want DFC to avoid working with such companies or do we have other things to worry about?

Any individual or company with links to human rights abuses or atrocities should be avoided like the plague. I don't think we should ever turn a blind eye.

Newcastle fans shattered by the news that the Saudi-led consortium have withdrawn their megabucks offer to buy the club ought to have been relieved by that news story. I get that they want rid of Mike Ashley but, seriously, they wanted their club to sell to a group with links to a regime notorious for human rights abuses and the recent murder of a dissident journalist? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Barfly said:

Any individual or company with links to human rights abuses or atrocities should be avoided like the plague. I don't think we should ever turn a blind eye.

Newcastle fans shattered by the news that the Saudi-led consortium have withdrawn their megabucks offer to buy the club ought to have been relieved by that news story. I get that they want rid of Mike Ashley but, seriously, they wanted their club to sell to a group with links to a regime notorious for human rights abuses and the recent murder of a dissident journalist? 

97% of Newcastle fans wanted Saudi ownership. Somebody asked me tonight if I I'd accept that kind of ownership if it meant Dundee being successful and I said I couldn't look myself in the mirror if my team's success was build on the misery of others. 

• Star Post 2
4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

97% of Newcastle fans wanted Saudi ownership. Somebody asked me tonight if I I'd accept that kind of ownership if it meant Dundee being successful and I said I couldn't look myself in the mirror if my team's success was build on the misery of others. 

97% is staggering. I didn't  know that. I'm shocked.

I would withdraw my support from the club if they chose money over morals in the context of what you've described.

Good on you for having values.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Of course you couldn’t and neither would your grandad have been able to . It is far more important that DFC stands for decency and what is right . On that note I was very proud to hear this week about the efforts of DFC in the community trust 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Barfly said:

97% is staggering. I didn't  know that. I'm shocked.

I would withdraw my support from the club if they chose money over morals in the context of what you've described.

Good on you for having values.

My mum's cousin bought me a United kit after they won the league. I said, "No thanks, I'm a Dee".

My dad's dad bought me a Celtic kit and said I should support the Scotland's biggest team. I said, "No thanks, I'm a Dee".

I just love Dundee. Would I withdraw my support if we became involved with an evil regime? I hope I don't ever have to answer that question.

I would break the law for family and Dundee is my family so I probably stick by the team whatever.

I do admire your attitude though.

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

My mum's cousin bought me a United kit after they won the league. I said, "No thanks, I'm a Dee".

My dad's dad bought me a Celtic kit and said I should support the Scotland's biggest team. I said, "No thanks, I'm a Dee".

I just love Dundee. Would I withdraw my support if we became involved with an evil regime? I hope I don't ever have to answer that question.

I would break the law for family and Dundee is my family so I probably stick by the team whatever.

Withdrawal of support can be temporary. Similar to a Hearts boycott. 😄  

• Funny 2
1 minute ago, Barfly said:

Withdrawal of support can be temporary. Similar to a Hearts boycott. 😄  

Colin McMenamin was asked if he felt bitter towards Dundee after what happened with admin. His response was: "I was bitter against certain individuals, not against the club."

That was said 10 years ago. I liked the guy as a footballer but that statement puts him on a level Billy Dodds will never understand.

I like to take Coco's view. A club should not be defined by the individuals currently in charge.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Colin McMenamin was asked if he felt bitter towards Dundee after what happened with admin. His response was: "I was bitter against certain individuals, not against the club."

That was said 10 years ago. I liked the guy as a footballer but that statement puts him on a level Billy Dodds will never understand.

I like to take Coco's view. A club should not be defined by the individuals currently in charge.

People come and go. Good and bad. Well said by CM.

I wouldn't support a Saudi-type takeover. I'd pause my support for the club which is what I probably didn't make clear earlier. I'd actively want them out. But that's just me.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Barfly said:

People come and go. Good and bad. Well said by CM.

I wouldn't support a Saudi-type takeover. I'd pause my support for the club which is what I probably didn't make clear earlier. I'd actively want them out. But that's just me.

The thing is these Muslim countries go against our values but are trying to stick to their religion's values.

The Chinese Communist Party are f**cking monsters and a whole lot more dangerous than Qatar and UAE.

• Like 1

I've had the harrowing experience of spending a day at Auschwitz. Ive emailed my MP to express my disgust at what's happening in China. I'll bring it up here. There's not much more I can do.

• Like 1

Auschwitz is happening in Xinjiang.

Let's not act surprised when the truth comes out.

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

The thing is these Muslim countries go against our values but are trying to stick to their religion's values.

The Chinese Communist Party are f**cking monsters and a whole lot more dangerous than Qatar and UAE.

I am neither a religious nor political animal. I have no issues with Islam or any other religion. Freedom of worship I say, respect and tolerance to all. It's the deranged few who hijack religion in the name of their twisted causes that damage the reputation of their religion through terror, death and destruction.

Let's not pretend that the West is significantly better, with its long history of slavery and exploitation of vulnerable nations and civilisations.

US abuses of Iraqi prisoners acted as a recruiting sergeant for opposition groups who wanted to bite back. Chaos and anarchy in Iraq spawned ISIS.

The UK arms industry will sell weapons to any regime in the name of trade eg Saudi Arabia, which indiscriminately bombs schools and hospitals in neighbouring Yemen.

The Chinese regime is hideous and completely indifferent to global opinion. Ethnic cleansing, detention camps, correction facilities, human organ harvesting, etc, are routine. 

What goes on at political level we won't know much about but so long as China has strong trade ties with the UK our political representatives will most likely utter a few token words of condemnation then return the issues to their box.

The international community needs to stand up as a whole to expose and condemn what goes on in China, threaten trade sanctions, demand an end to the regime's abhorrent practices. However, the default position of the Chinese Communist Party is to deny everything, its secrecy difficult to penetrate.

The real battle is between good and evil.

End of essay. 🙂

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Barfly said:

I am neither a religious nor political animal. I have no issues with Islam or any other religion. Freedom of worship I say, respect and tolerance to all. It's the deranged few who hijack religion in the name of their twisted causes that damage the reputation of their religion through terror, death and destruction.

Let's not pretend that the West is significantly better, with its long history of slavery and exploitation of vulnerable nations and civilisations.

US abuses of Iraqi prisoners acted as a recruiting sergeant for opposition groups who wanted to bite back. Chaos and anarchy in Iraq spawned ISIS.

The UK arms industry will sell weapons to any regime in the name of trade eg Saudi Arabia, which indiscriminately bombs schools and hospitals in neighbouring Yemen.

The Chinese regime is hideous and completely indifferent to global opinion. Ethnic cleansing, detention camps, correction facilities, human organ harvesting, etc, are routine. 

What goes on at political level we won't know much about but so long as China has strong trade ties with the UK our political representatives will most likely utter a few token words of condemnation then return the issues to their box.

The international community needs to stand up as a whole to expose and condemn what goes on in China, threaten trade sanctions, demand an end to the regime's abhorrent practices. However, the default position of the Chinese Communist Party is to deny everything, its secrecy difficult to penetrate.

The real battle is between good and evil.

End of essay. 🙂

I don't think you can judge the past by today's standards. World War II hero Alan Turing was bullied and tortured to death for being gay. It sounds appalling in 2020 but must have seemed reasonable at the time. 

China committing these atrocities in 2020 is to me especially deplorable in an era when the whole world is much more sensitive to the suffering of minorities.

I guess the survival of their party is all that matters to China's leaders. The only way things will change is if companies and governments refuse to trade with them while they continue these crimes against humanity. Pressure is growing but so far it's nowhere near enough.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I don't think you can judge the past by today's standards. World War II hero Alan Turing was bullied and tortured to death for being gay. It sounds appalling in 2020 but must have seemed reasonable at the time. 

China committing these atrocities in 2020 is to me especially deplorable in an era when the whole world is much more sensitive to the suffering of minorities.

I guess the survival of their party is all that matters to China's leaders. The only way things will change is if companies and governments refuse to trade with them while they continue these crimes against humanity. Pressure is growing but so far it's nowhere near enough.

You've got your finger on the pulse mate. Sadly, I reckon there will be a lot of pain ahead before there is regime change in China. Agree that the world must stand up and collectively condemn, impose sanctions and demand change.

We can only hope they instal a moderate leader at some point but it's difficult to envisage the Communist Party relaxing their stranglehold on power. It's all about control, ideology, and with the degree of control they have comes abuse of power. 

• Like 1