Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Sport and Politics

It's quite something to see Lewis Hamilton doing his Black Power salute and sending his Black Lives Matter messages every weekend.

I wonder if we're letting politics creep too far into sport.

I'm in favour of the occasional generic anti-racism drive but do we want to see Dundee players 'taking a knee' before every game or doing some other kind of gesture to support a particular movement?

I imagine a lot of people would rather forget about the depressing events being covered in the news when they go to a football match.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Football has (sensibly in my view) tried to steer clear of politics, even the poppy became a political issue. For it now to fully buy into the BLM movement has been a bit naive, its a highly politicised organisation that goes far beyond the core message. I would guess 95% plus of us are totally against racism and are for a generic anti racism message (Kick It Out etc) but football has definitely become more political because of this.

5 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

No I do not want to see the Dundee players take a knee. Infact I do not want to see any more football players take a knee. This movement should not be brought into football. 

Perhaps you could explain why ? Don’t you want racism ended ?

Solidarity, Brother  😉

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Perhaps you could explain why ? Don’t you want racism ended ?

Solidarity, Brother  😉

Of course I want all racism ended. 

The blm organisation is far too political and I do not think that football should get involved with it. 

Hamilton turning every podium into a BLM protest is quite jarring for me. It's like the sport has been demoted below Hamilton's political views with rival teams and drivers shamed into doing whatever he wants. Thankfully the same thing isn't happening in football.

8 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

Of course I want all racism ended. 

The blm organisation is far too political and I do not think that football should get involved with it. 

It’s too late now, it is a political matter and already happening at the beginning of matches. Football reaches out to the masses and I’d expect this to continue, as racism isn’t going anywhere fast.

Will be smashed in the end though  😉

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

There’s no monopoly required to bring focus on the problem and current situation.

Football can help spread the message.

I was looking at a message board mainly populated by middle-aged conservatives and it looks like Hamilton has alienated a lot of fans. Maybe it resonates with younger folk, I don't know.

Every generation becomes more tolerant than the last. Can you speed up progress by bombarding people with messaging? I'm doubtful.

There are subjects I care about but do I want Gowser to come up to the Derry after every game to highlight what's happening to Uighurs, Palestinians or the indigenous people of Amazon? No, it's probably going to annoy the hell out of people and be counter-productive.

Adblock Detected