The Dark Blues

Sport and Politics

Rate this topic

It's quite something to see Lewis Hamilton doing his Black Power salute and sending his Black Lives Matter messages every weekend.

I wonder if we're letting politics creep too far into sport.

I'm in favour of the occasional generic anti-racism drive but do we want to see Dundee players 'taking a knee' before every game or doing some other kind of gesture to support a particular movement?

I imagine a lot of people would rather forget about the depressing events being covered in the news when they go to a football match.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Football already did, Kick It Out was a football-centric way of dealing with racism. Could more be done ? Yup but just because BLM is the new kid on the block and getting all the attention doesn't mea

No I do not want to see the Dundee players take a knee. Infact I do not want to see any more football players take a knee. This movement should not be brought into football. 

Hamilton turning every podium into a BLM protest is quite jarring for me. It's like the sport has been demoted below Hamilton's political views with rival teams and drivers shamed into doing whatever

Posted Images

Football has (sensibly in my view) tried to steer clear of politics, even the poppy became a political issue. For it now to fully buy into the BLM movement has been a bit naive, its a highly politicised organisation that goes far beyond the core message. I would guess 95% plus of us are totally against racism and are for a generic anti racism message (Kick It Out etc) but football has definitely become more political because of this.

• Like 2

No I do not want to see the Dundee players take a knee. Infact I do not want to see any more football players take a knee. This movement should not be brought into football. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1
5 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

Perhaps you could explain why ? Don’t you want racism ended ?

Solidarity, Brother  😉

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Solidarity, Brother  😉

Of course I want all racism ended. 

The blm organisation is far too political and I do not think that football should get involved with it. 

• Like 2

Hamilton turning every podium into a BLM protest is quite jarring for me. It's like the sport has been demoted below Hamilton's political views with rival teams and drivers shamed into doing whatever he wants. Thankfully the same thing isn't happening in football.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

Of course I want all racism ended. 

The blm organisation is far too political and I do not think that football should get involved with it. 

It’s too late now, it is a political matter and already happening at the beginning of matches. Football reaches out to the masses and I’d expect this to continue, as racism isn’t going anywhere fast.

Will be smashed in the end though  😉

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Solidarity, Brother  😉

I didn't realise BLM had the monopoly on this. 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

There’s no monopoly required to bring focus on the problem and current situation.

Football can help spread the message.

That's not what's happening though, football is backing a 'cause' rather than a 'message' and that cause is quite political.

• Like 2

It is getting to the point that the blm are doing more harm than good. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

There’s no monopoly required to bring focus on the problem and current situation.

Football can help spread the message.

I was looking at a message board mainly populated by middle-aged conservatives and it looks like Hamilton has alienated a lot of fans. Maybe it resonates with younger folk, I don't know.

Every generation becomes more tolerant than the last. Can you speed up progress by bombarding people with messaging? I'm doubtful.

There are subjects I care about but do I want Gowser to come up to the Derry after every game to highlight what's happening to Uighurs, Palestinians or the indigenous people of Amazon? No, it's probably going to annoy the hell out of people and be counter-productive.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I was looking at a message board mainly populated by middle-aged conservatives and it looks like Hamilton has alienated a lot of fans. Maybe it resonates with younger folk, I don't know.

Every generation becomes more tolerant than the last. Can you speed up progress by bombarding people with messaging? I'm doubtful.

There are subjects I care about but do I want Gowser to come up to the Derry after every game to highlight what's happening to Uighurs, Palestinians or the indigenous people of Amazon? No, it's probably going to annoy the hell out of people and be counter-productive.

It could end up like the hokey cokey if players are having to 'drop the knee' or 'take a stand' or.... 'whatever' for every cause that is dear to us. As you said earlier, a lot of us go to football to get away from real life. I'm content that football want's rid of racism, it doesn't 'knee'd' to make racism its reason for being. Especially when football has considered Poppies too political in the past. What next, Scottish football for Pro Abortion ? Its not the place of football to push this, it can only lead to division.

• Like 2
Just now, Gnasher said:

Every little helps in eradicating racism and why shouldn’t football participate in this ? 

Football already did, Kick It Out was a football-centric way of dealing with racism. Could more be done ? Yup but just because BLM is the new kid on the block and getting all the attention doesn't mean its the only organisation that is against racism. Have a look at BLM's manifesto, its a bit more than just racism. At best you could call their manifesto 'divisive'. 

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1