The Dark Blues

Sport and Politics

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

It could end up like the hokey cokey if players are having to 'drop the knee' or 'take a stand' or.... 'whatever' for every cause that is dear to us. As you said earlier, a lot of us go to football to get away from real life. I'm content that football want's rid of racism, it doesn't 'knee'd' to make racism its reason for being. Especially when football has considered Poppies too political in the past. What next, Scottish football for Pro Abortion ? Its not the place of football to push this, it can only lead to division.

Apparently at the weekend a top (black) basketball player refused to take a knee before an NBA game and during the game he endured a devastating knee injury. There was delight on Twitter with folk celebrating the player suffering "karma".

I dread to think how toxic things could get if every sportsman and woman has to worry about whether to support or reject a particular cause every time they take to the field.

• Like 3
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Football already did, Kick It Out was a football-centric way of dealing with racism. Could more be done ? Yup but just because BLM is the new kid on the block and getting all the attention doesn't mea

No I do not want to see the Dundee players take a knee. Infact I do not want to see any more football players take a knee. This movement should not be brought into football. 

Hamilton turning every podium into a BLM protest is quite jarring for me. It's like the sport has been demoted below Hamilton's political views with rival teams and drivers shamed into doing whatever

Posted Images

I understand this is a very very emotive subject and one that I am not particulalry qualified to talk about but I do have one point in relation to players taking the knee. 

Personally I feel it was important for sports to get invovled and give sport an the opportunity to show thier support and raise awareness. However was saying to the other half a few days back that it should have been a one off for each team and that's it. I feel players doing this week in week out has totally watered this down (for want of a better phrase). A perfect example of this was Marcus Alonso during the FA Cup Final. 

Screenshot_20200803_194205_com.twitter.android.jpg

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Football already did, Kick It Out was a football-centric way of dealing with racism. Could more be done ? Yup but just because BLM is the new kid on the block and getting all the attention doesn't mean its the only organisation that is against racism. Have a look at BLM's manifesto, its a bit more than just racism. At best you could call their manifesto 'divisive'. 

I’d better be clear here, before it all goes tonto  🙃 I agree Chomp, it’s not the BLM agenda/manifesto I’m referring to here but merely the vehicle that’s been created for bringing the deep rooted racism problem into the publics focus through football whether it’s BLM or Kick It Out etc. 

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

Apparently at the weekend a top (black) basketball player refused to take a knee before an NBA game and during the game he endured a devastating knee injury. There was delight on Twitter with folk celebrating the player suffering "karma".

I dread to think how toxic things could get if every sportsman and woman has to worry about whether to support or reject a particular cause every time they take to the field.

Whilst i think i understand what blm is all about, i'm not really buying into the branding of it. It appears to be that" if you're not with us fully...you're against us" seems to be the opinion of many. My personal opinion is that ALL lives matter and racism in any form is completely wrong.....no doubt i will be castigated for my opinion Cobra, but will watch with interest when the first individual doesn't go down on the knee in support.....toxic it will be.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Whilst i think i understand what blm is all about, i'm not really buying into the branding of it. It appears to be that" if you're not with us fully...you're against us" seems to be the opinion of many. My personal opinion is that ALL lives matter and racism in any form is completely wrong.....no doubt i will be castigated for my opinion Cobra, but will watch with interest when the first individual doesn't go down on the knee in support.....toxic it will be.

Nobody will attack you for your opinion Janny on here. I can see where you are coming from.

I think "Black Lives Matter" is an American movement against the awful systematic racism over there and the message really is that "black people deserve be treated like white people".

Whether the exact same message and movement is necessary here in the UK I don't know but I think this thread will be closed if we stray too far into that subject.

The SPFL said that 'taking is a knee' is acceptable. Whether it becomes a regular thing at Dens I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The plans have been announced after talks between the SPFL, PFA Scotland and Show Racism the Red card

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Spot on, all lives do matter and racism against anyone is abhorrent. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Nobody will attack you for your opinion on here. 

🤔 You sure about that 

• Funny 1

Dont usually get involved in these types of things but blm is an anti semitic black supremacist group and want to form a black militia and are marxists it's gone way beyond being about justice and is about power currently in america they are extorting businesses for money so keep it out of football it's to divisive as is politics were all Dundee supporters and that's all that should matter and for Hamilton grew up in privileged life was groomed to be a f1 driver and if hes so bothered about companies countries past discretions maybe stop promoting hugo boss or Mercedes and no player should be forced to kneel as kneeling has different meanings kneeling in usa is a sign of rebellion in uk it's a sign of submission and blm were in london on the weekend in full paramilitary apparel which is illegal this is all I have to say on the matter.

• Star Post 1
6 hours ago, Alzie1893 said:

Dont usually get involved in these types of things but blm is an anti semitic black supremacist group and want to form a black militia and are marxists it's gone way beyond being about justice and is about power currently in america they are extorting businesses for money so keep it out of football it's to divisive as is politics were all Dundee supporters and that's all that should matter and for Hamilton grew up in privileged life was groomed to be a f1 driver and if hes so bothered about companies countries past discretions maybe stop promoting hugo boss or Mercedes and no player should be forced to kneel as kneeling has different meanings kneeling in usa is a sign of rebellion in uk it's a sign of submission and blm were in london on the weekend in full paramilitary apparel which is illegal this is all I have to say on the matter.

Totally agree

10 hours ago, Janny62 said:

My personal opinion is that ALL lives matter and racism in any form is completely wrong....

I had to do some research into why people get so upset at this - The best explanation I read was that imagine how you'd feel if you were sitting around the dining table and you got a smaller helping than everybody else and complained to Dad that you should get the same sized portion as everybody else - he simply replied everyone should get the same sized portion.  

Made sense to me after that.