Jump to content
The Dark Blues

1971–72 Uefa Cup

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Wolves have reached their first European quarter-final in 48 years.

Dundee reached the last 16 that year in the same tournament.

Anyone remember much about that run?

First round

Dundee 4-2 AB Kopenhagen (Bryce 2, Wallace, Lambie) - Att. 9,000

AB Kopenhagen 0-1 (Duncan) - Att. 2,000

Second round

FC Köln 2-1 Dundee (Kinninmonth) - Att. 15,000

Dundee 4-2 FC Köln (Duncan 3, Wallace) - Att. 15,500

Third round

Milan 3-0 Dundee - Att. 25,000

Dundee 2-0 Milan (Wallace, Duncan) - Att. 15,500

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember Jim Steele grabbing the ball out the net when we scored our third, he ran back up the park with it before placing it on the centre spot, best ever game at Dens for me.

Just had a glance over RWD Molenbeek history. I know, I know, I'm a bit of a saddo. 🙂 The club took its title from a 1973 merger. Quickly became successful, Belgian champions in 74-75, same season the

Was at all 3 home games and still got the programmes. The Cologne game was the most exciting game I think I’ve ever seen at Dens. Beating AC Milan at Dens wasn’t too shoddy either, although not en

11 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Wolves have reached their first European quarter-final in 48 years.

Dundee reached the last 16 that year in the same tournament.

Anyone remember much about that run?

First round

Dundee 4-2 AB Kopenhagen (Bryce 2, Wallace, Lambie) - Att. 9,000

AB Kopenhagen 0-1 (Duncan) - Att. 2,000

Second round

FC Köln 2-1 Dundee (Kinninmonth) - Att. 15,000

Dundee 4-2 FC Köln (Duncan 3, Wallace) - Att. 15,500

Third round

Milan 3-0 Dundee - Att. 25,000

Dundee 2-0 Milan (Wallace, Duncan) - Att. 15,500

 

I must have been at every game but only remember the Cologne and Milan ties for obvious reasons.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cologne  match at Dens was probably the most epic last 20 minutes of all time.We were 4-2 down on aggregate with 20 minutes left and the boys just stepped it up with a very late 3 goals to win the tie 6-4.Pandemonium beyond belief when the winner went in.

In the AC Milan match we valiantly tried a repeat but despite that just could not get the 3rd home goal which would have put us into extra time.Still an epic attempt.

Did Bobby Wilson not score one of his rare goals?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dfcman said:

The Cologne  match at Dens was probably the most epic last 20 minutes of all time.We were 4-2 down on aggregate with 20 minutes left and the boys just stepped it up with a very late 3 goals to win the tie 6-4.Pandemonium beyond belief when the winner went in.

In the AC Milan match we valiantly tried a repeat but despite that just could not get the 3rd home goal which would have put us into extra time.Still an epic attempt.

Did Bobby Wilson not score one of his rare goals?

If Chris Kamara had been there it would have been a case of 'Unbelievable Jeff!'

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfcman said:

The Cologne  match at Dens was probably the most epic last 20 minutes of all time.We were 4-2 down on aggregate with 20 minutes left and the boys just stepped it up with a very late 3 goals to win the tie 6-4.Pandemonium beyond belief when the winner went in.

In the AC Milan match we valiantly tried a repeat but despite that just could not get the 3rd home goal which would have put us into extra time.Still an epic attempt.

Did Bobby Wilson not score one of his rare goals?

Bobby Wilson got the winner, not Gordon Wallace.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dundee beating Koln and St Johnstone beating Hamburg in the same year. It shows how strong our game was. 

Juventus and Milan did for us and Aberdeen while the third Italian team Bologna were knocked out by the team that put St Johnstone out in the last 16.

Rangers won the Cup Winners Cup and Celtic lost on penalities in the semis of the European Cup.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfcman said:

The Cologne  match at Dens was probably the most epic last 20 minutes of all time.We were 4-2 down on aggregate with 20 minutes left and the boys just stepped it up with a very late 3 goals to win the tie 6-4.Pandemonium beyond belief when the winner went in.

In the AC Milan match we valiantly tried a repeat but despite that just could not get the 3rd home goal which would have put us into extra time.Still an epic attempt.

Did Bobby Wilson not score one of his rare goals?

We were indeed 4 - 2 down on aggregate in the Cologne game with 15/20 minutes left but if we had only scored twice late on we would have been out as this was the first year where away goals decided the winner of a tie. At 4 - 4 we had 1 away goal they had 2 so extra time was impossible and the final goal that brought the pitch invasion and pandemonium walking down the Hilltown after the game was crucial in our 5 - 4 overall win.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed the Cologne game because I was ill.. was at the other games.. Unfortunate to go out against Milan.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at all the games, Cologne the most exciting match I've ever seen. 

They had Overath, while in the next round v Milan we were playing Rivera and Schnellinger, who funnily enough had played for Cologne against us in 62-63. It was weird how that and 71-72 Euro campaigns were mirrored. 

Just checked Wikipedia there, to be sure. Rivera played against us in 60s and 70s ties and in the 1970 World Cup final, just a year previously! 

Edited by blueboy
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, blueboy said:

I was at all the games, Cologne the most exciting match I've ever seen. 

They had Overath, while in the next round v Milan we were playing Rivera and Schnellinger, who funnily enough had played for Cologne against us in 62-63. It was weird how that and 71-72 Euro campaigns were mirrored. 

Just checked Wikipedia there, to be sure. Rivera played against us in 60s and 70s ties and in the 1970 World Cup final, just a year previously! 

Dont think Rivera played for Koln.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

We were indeed 4 - 2 down on aggregate in the Cologne game with 15/20 minutes left but if we had only scored twice late on we would have been out as this was the first year where away goals decided the winner of a tie. At 4 - 4 we had 1 away goal they had 2 so extra time was impossible and the final goal that brought the pitch invasion and pandemonium walking down the Hilltown after the game was crucial in our 5 - 4 overall win.

Sorry i hit the 6 key insted of 5 in my original post.

Thanks for reminding me that away goals counted double so we go out at 4-4.Still get goose bumps at the memory of the 5th goal.

As a sidenote the great Yehudi Menuhin was performing at the Caird Hall that night.My then wife and my pals wife went to that.After the match we descended on my pals house with a few other drunks and a large carry out.It must have been the most extreme juxtaposition of emotions for the women relaxing after a cultural  evening of virtuoso music from the Maestro then to endure us until God knows when.How I got to work the next morning was with extreme difficulty and I remember the great relief of just making it to the toilets in time.......

  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at all 3 home games and still got the programmes.
The Cologne game was the most exciting game I think I’ve ever seen at Dens.
Beating AC Milan at Dens wasn’t too shoddy either, although not enough on the night.

Great memories of Dens under the floodlights

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Sorry i hit the 6 key insted of 5 in my original post.

Thanks for reminding me that away goals counted double so we go out at 4-4.Still get goose bumps at the memory of the 5th goal.

As a sidenote the great Yehudi Menuhin was performing at the Caird Hall that night.My then wife and my pals wife went to that.After the match we descended on my pals house with a few other drunks and a large carry out.It must have been the most extreme juxtaposition of emotions for the women relaxing after a cultural  evening of virtuoso music from the Maestro then to endure us until God knows when.How I got to work the next morning was with extreme difficulty and I remember the great relief of just making it to the toilets in time.......

Making it to the toilet on time is always a good start. Anything after that is a bonus. 😀

 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.