Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

1971–72 Uefa Cup

Cobra

8 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

We were indeed 4 - 2 down on aggregate in the Cologne game with 15/20 minutes left but if we had only scored twice late on we would have been out as this was the first year where away goals decided the winner of a tie. At 4 - 4 we had 1 away goal they had 2 so extra time was impossible and the final goal that brought the pitch invasion and pandemonium walking down the Hilltown after the game was crucial in our 5 - 4 overall win.

Sorry i hit the 6 key insted of 5 in my original post.

Thanks for reminding me that away goals counted double so we go out at 4-4.Still get goose bumps at the memory of the 5th goal.

As a sidenote the great Yehudi Menuhin was performing at the Caird Hall that night.My then wife and my pals wife went to that.After the match we descended on my pals house with a few other drunks and a large carry out.It must have been the most extreme juxtaposition of emotions for the women relaxing after a cultural  evening of virtuoso music from the Maestro then to endure us until God knows when.How I got to work the next morning was with extreme difficulty and I remember the great relief of just making it to the toilets in time.......

• Funny 3

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Was at all 3 home games and still got the programmes.
The Cologne game was the most exciting game I think I’ve ever seen at Dens.
Beating AC Milan at Dens wasn’t too shoddy either, although not enough on the night.

Great memories of Dens under the floodlights

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Thanks for reminding me that away goals counted double so we go out at 4-4.Still get goose bumps at the memory of the 5th goal.

As a sidenote the great Yehudi Menuhin was performing at the Caird Hall that night.My then wife and my pals wife went to that.After the match we descended on my pals house with a few other drunks and a large carry out.It must have been the most extreme juxtaposition of emotions for the women relaxing after a cultural  evening of virtuoso music from the Maestro then to endure us until God knows when.How I got to work the next morning was with extreme difficulty and I remember the great relief of just making it to the toilets in time.......

Making it to the toilet on time is always a good start. Anything after that is a bonus. 😀

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, dfcman said:

Like you god knows how I got to my work the next day. As I have posted before that game was the only time I ended up 'invading' the park at the end of the game, thankfully I was by no means alone. Remember getting caught in a very sweaty bear hug with Biffo. In later years had a conversation with said Biffo who described it as the most exciting game he was ever involved in.

• Like 3

Another 4-2 classic was Against Raith in 1961/62.I think it was the week after our decisive 'We are the new force in football'win at Ibrox,5-1.Nobody did that but we did.

Raiths goalkeeper played a blinder until late in the game and we were 2-1 down with 20 minutes to go.Gillie scored one from just inside the Raith half (Goalkeeper might have done better) Bobby Wishart hit a screamer left foot first timer from the touchline just in front of the crowd packed into the South enclosure 30 yards out and we went on to a mighty 4-2.Highlights were on TV that night and my uncle whose wife was Scott Symons sister sat with us mightily impressed especially with Wisharts  goal one of the most stunning shots ever at Dens or anywhere.

• Like 2

Was at every game. We absolutely battered Milan and were so very unlucky not to take the game to extra time. The Cologne game remains one of my all time favourite games at Dens ever. The last 15 mins Will live with me forever and the roar when Bobby Wilson scored the winner was incredible 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Another 4-2 classic was Against Raith in 1961/62.I think it was the week after our decisive 'We are the new force in football'win at Ibrox,5-1.Nobody did that but we did.

Raiths goalkeeper played a blinder until late in the game and we were 2-1 down with 20 minutes to go.Gillie scored one from just inside the Raith half (Goalkeeper might have done better) Bobby Wishart hit a screamer left foot first timer from the touchline just in front of the crowd packed into the South enclosure 30 yards out and we went on to a mighty 4-2.Highlights were on TV that night and my uncle whose wife was Scott Symons sister sat with us mightily impressed especially with Wisharts  goal one of the most stunning shots ever at Dens or anywhere.

I think we were 4- 2 down in this game and came back to win 5-4.

Adblock Detected