The Dark Blues

Migrants

Rate this topic

I see a Sudanese teenager was found dead on a Calais beach.

It makes sense that you'd want to escape from a war-torn country but why risk your life trying to get from France to England?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The issue for that unfortunate lad who died isn't political. But you must know many people's reaction to the news will be strongly influenced by politics. FWIW I would guess the answer to your qu

And not to Germany, Belgium, Spain, France, Portugal, Norway Sweden, Finland etc etc etc Oh and how many are coming to Scotland?

I can only assume its a 'the streets are paved with gold' kind of thing and the UK has become THE place to go. Like you I don't 'get' the difference between starting again in France or Germany compare

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

It makes sense that you'd want to escape from a war-torn country but why risk your life trying to get from France to England?

And not to Germany, Belgium, Spain, France, Portugal, Norway Sweden, Finland etc etc etc

Oh and how many are coming to Scotland?

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 2

None, none and none is the answer.

They know where they can and can not get a decent re-start in life.

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 1

Purely to save time, lets shut this discussion down now. It cannot end well.

I'm sure many of us would love to have a deep and thoughtful discussion on this issue and on migration generally, but I don't think this is the right place for it.

Am I the only one who regrets finding out what posters think about certain topics, especially if they are a poster I like?

• Like 2

This is not the place for a political discussion on the migrant issue. I was just curious about why there is such a desperation to get to these shores. 

The issue for that unfortunate lad who died isn't political. But you must know many people's reaction to the news will be strongly influenced by politics.

FWIW I would guess the answer to your question is one or more of: Family, language, personal dream. He would receive more money in France and Germany and Sweden are easier to get into. There is no great mystery. He is just a human like you and me.

It is a terrible tragedy and I don't think any country has an answer. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

None, none and none is the answer.

They know where they can and can not get a decent re-start in life.

I read today that the migrants in Calais have rejected state help in France. I think the benefits are similar but the black market in London must offer a lot of opportunities that maybe don't exist elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I read today that the migrants in Calais have rejected state help in France. I think the benefits are similar but the black market in London must offer a lot of opportunities that maybe don't exist elsewhere.

This is what I mean. Politically or ideologically influenced responses. Or at the very least, responses laden unsubstantiated with assumptions.

Please please please moderator, shut this conversation down.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, andrak said:

The issue for that unfortunate lad who died isn't political. But you must know many people's reaction to the news will be strongly influenced by politics.

FWIW I would guess the answer to your question is one or more of: Family, language, personal dream. He would receive more money in France and Germany and Sweden are easier to get into. There is no great mystery. He is just a human like you and me.

It is a terrible tragedy and I don't think any country has an answer. Britain's posture on this issue is generally unwelcoming and Scotland's more welcoming rhetoric is a bit pointless given that immigration is not a devolved matter.

You are right on the first point and if anyone is unable to resist the temptation to get political then then thread will be immediately be closed. 

Family, language, personal dream are all perfectly good reasons to crave a move to the UK but to risk your life in a dinghy when the alternative is living in somewhere like the Netherlands or France or Sweden is baffling. Surely it would make sense to settle in mainland Europe for a period of time until you're on your feet and able to reach the UK without putting your life on the line.

2 minutes ago, andrak said:

This is what I mean. Politically or ideologically influenced responses. Or at the very least, responses laden unsubstantiated with assumptions.

Please please please moderator, shut this conversation down.

I removed your comment about the British government's response to the migrant crisis as it's obviously too political.

It's not political to say that London has a thriving black market. It's a fact.

4 minutes ago, BCram said:

Why choose London? What about Paris, Rome, in fact almost any large metropolis?

It doesn't make sense to me. I met illegal immigrants in London and they tend to live in horrendous, crowded conditions. At least if they go to southern Europe they don't have to deal with our brutal winters. They just seem hell-bent on crossing the Channel.

• Like 1

Me neither. Maybe anywhere that has some support system is much better than the countries that they migrate from. 

24 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I removed your comment about the British government's response to the migrant crisis as it's obviously too political.

It's not political to say that London has a thriving black market. It's a fact.

I said this would not end well. And it hasn't.

Just now, andrak said:

I said this would not end well. And it hasn't.

Andrak, if you don't like a particular topic it's probably best you ignore it.

• Like 1