The Dark Blues

The Return of Fans

Rate this topic

I see Celtic have failed in their bid to have a limited number of fans attend this weekend's game against Motherwell.

Curious that fans will be allowed to attend a rugby game at Murrayfield on Friday.

I'm guessing the people responsible for the law that lets ordinary rugby fans drink alcohol but not football fans are the same people green-lighting the return of rugby fans while continuing to block the return of football fans.

I think the chattering classes have long had a disdainful view of the working man's sport while holding rugby in high esteem.  I remember the rector at my school wouldn't allow us to have a football team because he felt the sport was for commoners. Of course we had a rugby team though.

You look at the reaction to the Aberdeen and Celtic players breaking the rules and instead of the individuals being held responsible (as would have happened in England) the entire sport was condemned as though Scottish football as a whole was, once again, letting down the country.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find this hilarious tbh. ScotGov essentially denying their favourite team (Sellick), to host fans (having said they would only a few weeks ago). Yet now allow Rugby Union (that they have n

If Rangers & Celtic matches on 12 September are set to be test events, somehow I can't shake the feeling that this is where they f**k it up for everybody else.

There is a big difference between rugby and football fans in Scotland. There is a reason why alcohol is sold at a rugby game and not a football game, that is football supporters caused so much tr

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Cobra said:

I see Celtic have failed in their bid to have a limited number of fans attend this weekend's game against Motherwell.

Curious that fans will be allowed to attend a rugby game at Murrayfield on Friday.

I'm guessing the people responsible for the law that lets ordinary rugby fans drink alcohol but not football fans are the same people green-lighting the return of rugby fans while continuing to block the return of football fans.

I think the chattering classes have long had a disdainful view of the working man's sport while holding rugby in high esteem.  I remember the rector at my school wouldn't allow us to have a football team because he felt the sport was for commoners. Of course we had a rugby team though.

You look at the reaction to the Aberdeen and Celtic players breaking the rules and instead of the individuals being held responsible (as would have happened in England) the entire sport was condemned as though Scottish football as a whole was, once again, letting down the country.

There is a big difference between rugby and football fans in Scotland.

There is a reason why alcohol is sold at a rugby game and not a football game, that is football supporters caused so much trouble at games due to being pissed at games and now, they cannot be trusted.

Football fans gave themselves a bad reputation and it is well deserved.

You tell me which games in Scottish football where fans from opposite sides could site together with a drink and there wouldn't be trouble? You would be hard pressed to find that in football, yet you can in Rugby.

To allow this to happen, you would have to train the mindset of the football fan.... good luck with that!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

The there is a reason why alcohol is sold at a rugby game and not a football game is that football supporters caused so much trouble at games due to being pissed at games that they cannot be trusted at games.

You tell me which games in Scottish football where fans from opposite sides could site together with a drink and there wouldn't be trouble? You would be hard pressed to find that in football, yet you can in Rugby.

To allow this to happen, you would have to train the mindset of the football fan.... good luck with that!

Sad but yet so very true

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

There is a reason why alcohol is sold at a rugby game and not a football game, that is football supporters caused so much trouble at games due to being pissed at games and now, they cannot be trusted.

England has had far bigger problems with hooliganism than Scotland over the years and has 10x the population and yet there is absolutely no problem with English fans enjoying a pint at half-time and there are no calls for alcohol to be banned by police, council, fans, residents or anyone else. Why is it that the Liverpool fans who caused the Heysel disaster can be trusted to hold a pint of beer at half-time but a few hours up at the road at Palmerston fans cannot be trusted?

I was at a Dundee game not that long ago and there was a guy so drunk he fell down the steps and ended up in a heap. If you can get blind drunk and still get into the ground, how could the situation possibly be made worse if fans have to queue for a drink at half-time for a beer? Nobody is going to sit quietly watching the first half, have a half-time pint and then start a riot. It just doesn't make sense.

At the time when alcohol was banned fans were allowed to take in their own carry-out and get hammered while watching the game. I don't think anybody would suggest we return to those days.

David Cameron when he was PM said it was ridiculous that Scottish football fans can't have a beer at games like the rest of the UK. That was the one time I agreed with him.

• Like 1

I find this hilarious tbh.

ScotGov essentially denying their favourite team (Sellick), to host fans (having said they would only a few weeks ago).

Yet now allow Rugby Union (that they have no affinity with), to go ahead - baffling. 

Edited by Dondeh
  • Confused 2
  • Wowzer 1
On 27/08/2020 at 19:29, Cobra said:

England has had far bigger problems with hooliganism than Scotland over the years and has 10x the population and yet there is absolutely no problem with English fans enjoying a pint at half-time and there are no calls for alcohol to be banned by police, council, fans, residents or anyone else. Why is it that the Liverpool fans who caused the Heysel disaster can be trusted to hold a pint of beer at half-time but a few hours up at the road at Palmerston fans cannot be trusted?

I was at a Dundee game not that long ago and there was a guy so drunk he fell down the steps and ended up in a heap. If you can get blind drunk and still get into the ground, how could the situation possibly be made worse if fans have to queue for a drink at half-time for a beer? Nobody is going to sit quietly watching the first half, have a half-time pint and then start a riot. It just doesn't make sense.

At the time when alcohol was banned fans were allowed to take in their own carry-out and get hammered while watching the game. I don't think anybody would suggest we return to those days.

David Cameron when he was PM said it was ridiculous that Scottish football fans can't have a beer at games like the rest of the UK. That was the one time I agreed with him.

I understand your frustration at the double standards being applied to Scottish fans v English but we live in a world of double standards, Cobra, and this issue isn't really high on many people's agenda. Every single time the OF rock into town there follows a barrage of complaints about their behaviour - throw alcohol in grounds into the mix and it won't help - may not make it worse mind you. It just isn't worth the hassle i guess.

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I understand your frustration at the double standards being applied to Scottish fans v English but we live in a world of double standards, Cobra, and this issue isn't really high on many people's agenda. Every single time the OF rock into town there follows a barrage of complaints about their behaviour - throw alcohol in grounds into the mix and it won't help - may not make it worse mind you. It just isn't worth the hassle i guess.

I think it might help HK. Many times I've seen folk down pints and shots at ten to 3 to get tanked up for going into the ground because they aren't able to have a wee drink inside. Treat adults like children and they're more likely to act like children.

When I was a teenager the nightclub bar would shut at 12 and everyone would be thrown out at 1. The intention was to reduce drunkenness and violence but of course it had the opposite effect. Let people have a drink when they want to have a drink (like on the continent) and you reduce the problems associated with alcohol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I think it might help HK. Many times I've seen folk down pints and shots at ten to 3 to get tanked up for going into the ground because they aren't able to have a wee drink inside. Treat adults like children and they're more likely to act like children.

When I was a teenager the nightclub bar would shut at 12 and everyone would be thrown out at 1. The intention was to reduce drunkenness and violence but of course it had the opposite effect. Let people have a drink when they want to have a drink (like on the continent) and you reduce the problems associated with alcohol.

I'm not, and never have been, a pints before the game guy so I'm not best placed to comment Cobra - I love a beer every bit as much as the next guy but am just not into it at the game.

From my memory of clubbing - it was the disco in my day - most of us were well oiled before even going to the disco so not a huge amount was drunk inside relatively speaking but i take your point - people will drink up to their limit regardless so elongating the drinking time won't make people drink more.

I'm not convinced continentals hold their drink better because of licensing laws mate - I'd put it down to their drinking culture i.e. food with drink, eating late, drinking wine etc...they're just a more sophisticated bunch of people!

For what it's worth i agree that allowing alcohol in games won't result in mass riots but i just don't see the need for it personally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

For what it's worth i agree that allowing alcohol in games won't result in mass riots but i just don't see the need for it personally.

We don't need booze at football games, rugby games, theatres or music venues. What annoys me is the government effectively saying 'everyone can enjoy a drink at their chosen entertainment except for football fans based in Scotland who can't afford hospo. They are animals who can't be trusted to have a pint at half-time without starting a riot.'

• Like 2

If Rangers & Celtic matches on 12 September are set to be test events, somehow I can't shake the feeling that this is where they f**k it up for everybody else.

Edited by Attilio
  • Like 1
  • Star Post 2
16 hours ago, Attilio said:

Again, such is the influence of the OF on our game it's necessary for them to be 1st - that way if the do f**k up then they cannot blame anyone else.  If Abedeen fans, for example, were part of the test and it didn't go well then you can only imagine the reaction from either of the OF.

• Like 1
On 26/08/2020 at 13:51, Cobra said:

It seemed pretty obvious to me as to why they didn’t allow the Celtic game to be a test. They “planned”for the Murrayfield event (yes it’s a rugby match) to be the first test. Given that Celtic asked for it to be less than 48 hours after was always going to be stupid. Firstly a test is a test for a reason, so that the data gathered can be evaluated. So the game on Friday took place and now they are reviewing how it went, what could be better, what was good, could numbers be increased etc etc. THEN they will look to another “test” when the information has been processed. I get the urge for people to want to get back to “normal” but that just simply isn’t going to happen any time soon and the sooner we accept that the better. The world has changed massively. And if as numbers over the past 2 weeks have shown, we can’t resume working in big numbers, educate children and go out for a pint without spreading the virus further then I think large gatherings of people wether it be at sporting events or concerts will not return anytime soon

• Like 1
21 hours ago, dblair said:

It seemed pretty obvious to me as to why they didn’t allow the Celtic game to be a test. They “planned”for the Murrayfield event (yes it’s a rugby match) to be the first test. Given that Celtic asked for it to be less than 48 hours after was always going to be stupid. Firstly a test is a test for a reason, so that the data gathered can be evaluated. So the game on Friday took place and now they are reviewing how it went, what could be better, what was good, could numbers be increased etc etc. THEN they will look to another “test” when the information has been processed. I get the urge for people to want to get back to “normal” but that just simply isn’t going to happen any time soon and the sooner we accept that the better. The world has changed massively. And if as numbers over the past 2 weeks have shown, we can’t resume working in big numbers, educate children and go out for a pint without spreading the virus further then I think large gatherings of people wether it be at sporting events or concerts will not return anytime soon

Ifollow the logic of a test being a test but if only 700 fans can attend in a stadium that holds 70k approximately what are they testing? These numbers were absolutley stupid. NO CLUB can survive on 1% of their stadium capacity being allowed to attend.

It was an absolute farce and someone should tell these so called experts to get their commonsense thinking hats on. 

I am fed up hearing how lockdowns will be applied if we misbehave. These politicians should get into the real world and understand that they are NEVER going to kill this virus, so they need plans to encourage the vulnerable to look after themselves, and give outdoor sports the chance to survive.

apologies for my grumpy mood but I have been gardening and my back is not best pleased and letting me know about it!

14 hours ago, BCram said:

Ifollow the logic of a test being a test but if only 700 fans can attend in a stadium that holds 70k approximately what are they testing? These numbers were absolutley stupid. NO CLUB can survive on 1% of their stadium capacity being allowed to attend.

It was an absolute farce and someone should tell these so called experts to get their commonsense thinking hats on. 

I am fed up hearing how lockdowns will be applied if we misbehave. These politicians should get into the real world and understand that they are NEVER going to kill this virus, so they need plans to encourage the vulnerable to look after themselves, and give outdoor sports the chance to survive.

apologies for my grumpy mood but I have been gardening and my back is not best pleased and letting me know about it!

I hear you!

I think if there has been a positive from the virus it's the confirmation of what we've always known - governments and their experts are at best a half-step ahead of the rest of us and that's not just the UK.

On the plus side for you guys, you could be where I am where it's becoming ridiculous.