Dave Mackay

Rate this topic

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An obvious move after Nicoll departure, how anyone can criticise this is beyond me. Our finances are perilous even with Foundation money, we need more contributors and less detractors. Hopefully

I think the driving factor behind this appointment is finances as there was no real reason to have punted Nicholl. Coronavirus has probably drained our finances to the same effect as about 50 Neil McC

Far from impressed with this. John Nelms performance is really becoming an issue IMO. Does he actually have any strategy in place whatsoever? He went with the inexperience of McCann and Gartland

Far from impressed with this. John Nelms performance is really becoming an issue IMO. Does he actually have any strategy in place whatsoever?

He went with the inexperience of McCann and Gartland which was a huge mistake, he then panicked and lunged for McIntyre (after Keyes had to step in and sack McCann) without doing any due diligence on the fact McIntyre would need Billy Dodds. From that fiasco, and looking increasingly lost, he goes for the easy option of McPake, apparently because he'll be advised by the experienced Jimmy Nicholl, only to then get rid of Nicholl and go back to where he started with a totally inexperienced management team. 

Nelms is a mess. Unless this endless cycle of bad decision making gets arrested (pun intended James) we are never going to improve. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Is Mackay a brilliant young coach with some great ideas? Possibly. I guess we'll find out soon enough if this was a good decision.

I suggest this is cost driven, less money than last year, budget cuts all over the club so it's an easy to move a coach up to assistant as he was going to need someone after JN left. 

I'm not a big Nelms fan but not sure all the blame for this coaching reshuffle is all his fault.

• Like 5

Why the negativity from some people - well done DM on getting a plum role at the Dees , now work some magic and help get us back to the good times 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Alexis said:

Far from impressed with this. John Nelms performance is really becoming an issue IMO. Does he actually have any strategy in place whatsoever?

He went with the inexperience of McCann and Gartland which was a huge mistake, he then panicked and lunged for McIntyre (after Keyes had to step in and sack McCann) without doing any due diligence on the fact McIntyre would need Billy Dodds. From that fiasco, and looking increasingly lost, he goes for the easy option of McPake, apparently because he'll be advised by the experienced Jimmy Nicholl, only to then get rid of Nicholl and go back to where he started with a totally inexperienced management team. 

Nelms is a mess. Unless this endless cycle of bad decision making gets arrested (pun intended James) we are never going to improve. 

I think the driving factor behind this appointment is finances as there was no real reason to have punted Nicholl. Coronavirus has probably drained our finances to the same effect as about 50 Neil McCann transfer windows. I’m confident the club is doing everything in its power to be able to finance a team that capable of a promotion push, let alone surviving a pandemic. Let’s not be overly critical this season. 

• Like 6

Living out with what the club could finance got us in deep trouble twice before, so I can't criticize the measures they are taking. I'd rather have a club to support than no club at all.

Doesn't stop me for hoping better times ahead. 

• Like 4
  • Star Post 1

An obvious move after Nicoll departure, how anyone can criticise this is beyond me. Our finances are perilous even with Foundation money, we need more contributors and less detractors.

Hopefully another two paydays see more season tickets sold and we increase Foundation membership.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, DeeVinci said:

I suggest this is cost driven, less money than last year, budget cuts all over the club so it's an easy to move a coach up to assistant as he was going to need someone after JN left. 

I'm not a big Nelms fan but not sure all the blame for this coaching reshuffle is all his fault.

What what what.... ! Careful with this open mindedness, we wouldn't want it to catch on. 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
13 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

What what what.... ! Careful with this open mindedness, we wouldn't want it to catch on. 😉

Damn right

• Funny 1

As has been stated this is cost driven and who knows MacKay could come in with modern coaching ideas that could improve the team, time will tell. We are where we are due to the pandemic, and we have to tighten up on finances. The priority at this time is to keep the club afloat and I think the board are trying all they can to make sure that this will happen. We need the Defiant spirit for the coming season.

• Like 1

Simple fact is, Mackay was basically already doing the job before, works well with McPake, and is of course the most cost-effective choice for the job. I don't believe nobody saw this coming.

• Like 1

Bought the Tully yesterday, first time for ages & a positive wee write up (for once) about 12 of the 16 youth coaches staying as volunteers. Well done to them.👏

Mary, I think the "Well Done" in your post above refers to the coaches offering to continue their services for "free " ... And, if so, I agree, "Good on them"

(But it may also be a reference to the Tully (DCT) for actually reporting this more positive story on DFC ... If so, I think I'll withhold judgement on that:chaplin:

• Like 1