The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

They've gone and done it again. blown their Champions League chances before they have even started properly.

I'm no Celtic fan, but it seems to me that Scottish football has for 30 years now, put the progress of Celtic (and Rangers) in the Champions League as the main purpose and success indicator of all Scottish football authorities. Non OF club ambitions have been thwarted, medium sized clubs have been turned into angry little involuntaty feeder clubs for the big two. Smaller clubs have been turned into an occasionally entertaining but ultimatley dismal side show and merely a place for ex-OF players to get their start in management.

How long are we going to allow this to continue? We are probably only hours away from Celtic moving from their, now common, apologetic/embarrassed response to another failure, to their self-pitying ctiticism of the SPFL, referees, the media and other Scottish clubs who are the real reason the brave bhoys in green and white don't quite manage to do it season after season.

I know I'm only pissing in the wind here again and that there will be many of you reading this who think I'm just deflecting from our own problems. But my anger is real, as is my fear that the next twelve months could see a number of middle and lower-sized clubs disappearing, as well as the national side struggling yet again to get to a major championship or even hold their own in the Nations League group.

Something fundamental has to change, and I hope this pandemic and its aftermath will be the catalyst for it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's good for the competitiveness of the Premiership that Celtic won't be handed £40m and probably good for Dundee that the other Prem clubs won't be given a £400k boost from Celtic reaching the group

They've gone and done it again. blown their Champions League chances before they have even started properly. I'm no Celtic fan, but it seems to me that Scottish football has for 30 years now, put

"Something fundamental has to change, and I hope this pandemic and its aftermath will be the catalyst for it." We tried (or Nelms did), we failed, but we did try. If it wasn't for the selfis

In all honesty, I think the biggest disaster in recent times was the boom and bust of the SPL era. The mid sized sort of full-time clubs like ourselves really need to be able to be in a position where we have the facilities and staff to be able to provide quality coaching to young players.

The investment in the period before that did, I'd argue, actually lead to a good batch of players.  The national team between 2002-2008 when a lot of these players would be hitting their prime after coming through youth set-ups - 2006 was an absolute disaster with the first few games under Vogts but apart from that, we were actually good (even in that campaign we recovered well under Smith). There was no shame in not qualifying when you have the world cup champions + runners up in your group in 08 and 04 we were a point behind Germany and lost out to the Netherlands (which was a shame after a great performance in the first leg).

When clubs like ourselves culled youth set-ups etc in the early-mid 2000s, it reduced the no of players in full-time set-ups quite dramatically and set us off for a really poor start to the 2010s. From then, things picked up under Strachan but we've been fighting the death spiral of the low coefficient. I think right now, we're probably decent enough to qualify apart from the cb position which seems to have been a bit of an issue.

It's usually unpopular with supporters but I think the key to long lasting success at the national level is stability. It's always been fairly easy for owners to f**k a club up and walk away but I think we all need to have some sort of model where clubs aren't running huge liabilities and leaping from one cash flow crisis to another.  If we don't have that, the underlying fundamental to make good progress just isn't there. We have moved towards that across the board but COVID will be a test.

For what it's worth, I think this term will be the lowest gap between the OF and the rest we've seen in a while. There's not a single team who you could see being easy whipping boys, everyone looks solid enough and professional to give them a game. Celtic have undone a lot of their progress under Rodgers.

Completely agree with the analysis of Celtic. They and Rangers before them had it far too easy. now they are struggling to beat very very average european team, and Heaven help them if they actually played one of the better european teams. The OF are big bullies in a very very small playground and as soon as they move outside that they are exposed for what they are.

It's good for the competitiveness of the Premiership that Celtic won't be handed £40m and probably good for Dundee that the other Prem clubs won't be given a £400k boost from Celtic reaching the group stages of the CL.

• Like 2

"Something fundamental has to change, and I hope this pandemic and its aftermath will be the catalyst for it."

We tried (or Nelms did), we failed, but we did try.

If it wasn't for the selfish, self-centred (fu#k you jack I'm alright) attitude of certain Chairmen, Chairwomen,  Chief Execs of a great many clubs, we might have got somewhere.

However, we are back to being a mickey mouse set up in European football circles, no representatives in the CL, and laughed at by pundits the length & breadth of the country.

DDYB.

• Like 1
On 28/08/2020 at 12:52, BCram said:

The OF are big bullies in a very very small playground and as soon as they move outside that they are exposed for what they are.

Completely agree with comment above BC...

I was thinking along the lines of "Big Fish in Wee pond", but your quote above, hits the nail exactly.