The Dark Blues

Strangest Place To Buy a Dundee Strip

Rate this topic

Reading another thread where sizing issues brought up a poster buying an old Dundee strip in a Red Cross Shop got me wondering about a few topics re. Dundee Strips. 

1) Where is the strangest place you have bought a Dundee Strip?

2) Where is the strangest/most interesting place you have seen a non Dundee supporter wearing a Dundee Strip?

3) Where have folk come across fellow Dundee supporters proudly wearing their strips abroad outwith watching a game?

1 & 2) for me are connected. About  10 years ago I was in the Souk/Grand Bazaar in Marmaris, Turkey and saw one of the stallholders (selling football gear) wearing the old 'Hydro Electric' 90s Dundee Strip. Tried to talk with him but his English wasn't that good, mostly along the lines of "you buy", "very good merchandise" etc. but on showing an interest in the strip he pulled out from the back of the stall dozens of the same strip, various sizes, all genuine product - not cheap fakes. He tried to tell me at first that they were Barcelona strips but I soon put him right. Goodness knows where he got them, probably some warehouse sell off but I managed to get a couple for a few quid each and got a free cup of apple tea from him into the bargain. He got a sale and a help with his english picking up a few phrases like "United are Sh1te" etc.

3) I've come across many fellow Dees sporting shirts on my holiday travels around the world. Lake Garda Italy, on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, and many times on the various Costas, Canaries etc. Probably the oddest was c. 25 years ago in a breakfast diner on one of the remoter parts of Route 66. Guy was an ex pat Dundonian living in the US and on holiday like me. Sorry to relate that I was not wearing one of my many Dundee strips that day but struck up a conversation with the guy who was wearing one of the 70s 'Admiral' strips. He, like me, had started watching Dundee in the early 60s and had been at Muirton for the League clincher and had moved over to the states in the early 70s.

It would be good to hear other folks experiences!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading another thread where sizing issues brought up a poster buying an old Dundee strip in a Red Cross Shop got me wondering about a few topics re. Dundee Strips.  1) Where is the strangest pla

about 20 years ago a local wearing a white retro DFC strip in Douala Cameroon, aslo another local lad wearing a Utd strip withh Dodds on the back!.  Strangest would have to be not Dundee but while on

Slightly different but when in Perugia to see the Dees we went into a local sports shop and they had an Arbroath strip for sale! Still do not get that!

Not a football strip but 30+ years ago we went to Scarborough on holiday and brought home 2 DFC towels.

• Like 1

about 20 years ago a local wearing a white retro DFC strip in Douala Cameroon, aslo another local lad wearing a Utd strip withh Dodds on the back!.  Strangest would have to be not Dundee but while on holiday in Florida a lot of years ago a sports shop had 1/2 dozen East Fife tops .

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Just now, SHUNTER said:

about 20 years ago a local wearing a white retro DFC strip in Douala Cameroon, aslo another local lad wearing a Utd strip withh Dodds on the back!.  Strangest would have to be not Dundee but while on holiday in Florida a lot of years ago a sports shop had 1/2 dozen East Fife tops .

Welcome Shunter 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 23:30, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Slightly different but when in Perugia to see the Dees we went into a local sports shop and they had an Arbroath strip for sale! Still do not get that!

Both play in maroon and white