The Dark Blues

A Good Read

Rate this topic

Nah not this post, but thought I’d start a wee “book topic”

Used to read a lot but nowadays find it harder and harder to find the time. Went through a spell of easy reading more recently with Lee Child’s Reacher series a firm favourite along with the Rebus collection by Ian Rankin. 

Thought it would be a decent way to suggest books like we seem to do with Netflix programs so frequently! 

• Like 4
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nah not this post, but thought I’d start a wee “book topic” Used to read a lot but nowadays find it harder and harder to find the time. Went through a spell of easy reading more recently with Lee

I don't read much these days but loved Frederick Forsyth books - The Odessa File, The Day of the Jackal and the lesser known The Devil's Alternative are my favourites. I take a couple of volumes

The first book I read which I couldn't put down was Misery by Stephen King. King brought that to live page by page, and when the film came out I thought they did a great job. I thought Kathy Bates got

• Administrator
1 hour ago, dblair said:

Used to read a lot but nowadays find it harder and harder to find the time. Went through a spell of easy reading more recently with Lee Child’s Reacher series a firm favourite along with the Rebus collection by Ian Rankin. 

Thought it would be a decent way to suggest books like we seem to do with Netflix programs so frequently! 

I'm too lazy to read books, so I get Alexa to read them for me. 😇

• Administrator
1 hour ago, dblair said:

The first book I read which I couldn't put down was Misery by Stephen King. King brought that to live page by page, and when the film came out I thought they did a great job. I thought Kathy Bates got her right down to a tee (From what I had in my head anyway).

However there was one point where the Film went off from the book (Just a couple of minutes) and it was like a huge let down. But still, pretty bang on to the book though (Which is a change).

• Like 2
14 hours ago, dblair said:

Good idea dblair for a topic ... Especially for those like myself who enjoy reading books

The Reacher & Rebus series, always appeal (As you say they are no' too heavy, but they roll along fine)

For anyone who can handle Big Books, I've just finished reading the book "I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes (900+pages)...

Described by The Guardian as, "The only Thriller you need to read this Year" And I'd agree. Great Read.

I bought it & a few other great books at Doctor Surgery: £1 each. (They've got better stuff than Library)

(Mind, whatever outcome of Charie Adam Saga, a book about this could easily take 1000 pages):chaplin:

• Like 2

One of my fave books, had to buy another copy as I lent it to someone and didn't get it back.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBIXN66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically a biography of a fictional character, Long John Silver, well written although he did have a 'busy' life.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

One of my fave books, had to buy another copy as I lent it to someone and didn't get it back.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBIXN66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically a biography of a fictional character, Long John Silver, well written although he did have a 'busy' life.

That was a good idea chomp,  putting in the Amazon link (Just reading the reviews in that section has got me excited) Doesn't necessarily mean I'll be ordering it straight away ... Well at least, not until I've checked oot their "Readers Section" in the Reception Area.

They say,  the Section is to help fund high running costs, of their New Ultra Modern Surgery.

I think it is more likely that it is there as distraction/or cover for their general incompetence.

When eh go there  for my acute aches & pains, insomnia etc, he asks me to drap my breeks.

Has a searching stare up my bum...Then I come oot again wi another tub o' pile cream:chaplin:

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

That was a good idea chomp,  putting in the Amazon link (Just reading the reviews in that section has got me excited) Doesn't necessarily mean I'll be ordering it straight away ... Well at least, not until I've checked oot their "Readers Section" in the Reception Area.

They say,  the Section is to help fund high running costs, of their New Ultra Modern Surgery.

I think it is more likely that it is there as distraction/or cover for their general incompetence.

When eh go there  for my acute aches & pains, insomnia etc, he asks me to drap my breeks.

Has a searching stare up my bum...Then I come oot again wi another tub o' pile cream:chaplin:

Its annoying when you go in with a sore elbow eh ?

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Its annoying when you go in with a sore elbow eh ?

I did one time freend ...

And he just told me, that I must have picked up his advice on "More Exercise" the wrong way.

He strapped up my wrist, made me up a sling, adding..."I'll check yir Bum while you're here:ph34r:

• Funny 1

Any books Dundee F.C. related are great reads Amongst those that I have read and enjoyed are  In Search of  Allan Gilzean by James Morgan and Peter Caproni’s  - We Must be Mad  and Diary of a Dee.

I asked a guy in work today if he could recommend any good books as he's never out the library or Waterstones usually. He's 33 years old. 

"The football Factory trilogy were a brilliant read" 

If there was a block button IRL, he'd be on it. FFS. 

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, Neil Cameron said:

Any books Dundee F.C. related are great reads Amongst those that I have read and enjoyed are  In Search of  Allan Gilzean by James Morgan and Peter Caproni’s  - We Must be Mad  and Diary of a Dee.

This arrived today.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845357868/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51v060VnVBL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I find football books hit and miss, but I'm looking forward to this.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

This arrived today.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845357868/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51v060VnVBL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I find football books hit and miss, but I'm looking forward to this.

Never knew this had been written. A lot of very good reviews, and something I think I’ll buy too. 

Also noticed this

Our Boys and the Wise Men: The Origins of Dundee Football Club https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0884B519M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sX8vFb1BHKDCM

• Like 1

I listened to this audiobook a couple of years ago and it's brilliant. The Collector by John Fowles. I think it's set in the 60s and this nutjob kidnaps a girl in London. The book is told from his perspective and also hers. I think it inspired Silence of the Lambs.

About a year ago I remember sitting in the sunshine in Magdalen Green pissing myself reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I nearly missed the kick-off at Dens. The guy actually was is Germany as a PoW during the war and this story is based on stuff that happened.

If end of the world stuff isn't too depressing for you The Road by Cormac McCarthy is pretty special.

The Trial by Franz Kafka is a favourite old school story about a guy who gets charged but can't find out why.

In terms of very readable contemporary stuff I thought The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was great.

• Like 2