The Dark Blues

The Tully

Rate this topic

Its days must be numbered. I was in Dundee today and read my Ma’s Courier on arrival, took five mins, decent article about our coaching staff.

Bought a Tully on way home and lo and behold the same article is in there! Are there people who buy both and if so do they not object to this?

Inside it also uses up around 3 pages to advertise their own products. Absolutely terrible paper which includes a random story of a body being found in Worcester!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to buy the Courier every Friday to look through the jobs pages, Saturday was good for the Articles For Sale. Thursday night Tully for the DDYFA results and fixtures, Friday night to make s

I was one in the seventies. At that time loads  of guys came up to pick up  bags of teles from The grand old High School of Kirkton. Then hopefully  get a freezer on the 1B and up into God's country t

Our papers are delivered at around 6 am every day by a bloke in a Mercedes. Still get a Xmas card every year from "Andy your paperboy" and his Xmas bonus is duly passed to the newsagent for him. Seems

They're atrocious papers and I think it's more out of habit now that people still buy them. I have a mate who gets The Tully every weekday, gets home from work and sits and reads it while he eats his tea. Pure habit because he's always done that.

I'm proud to say I haven't bought either for well over ten years. I had my picture in The Courier about three years ago and got an old copy from one of the wife's family so that I could read the article and see the photo - then I binned it because the photo was diabolical.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

They're atrocious papers and I think it's more out of habit now that people still buy them. I have a mate who gets The Tully every weekday, gets home from work and sits and reads it while he eats his tea. Pure habit because he's always done that.

I'm proud to say I haven't bought either for well over ten years. I had my picture in The Courier about three years ago and got an old copy from one of the wife's family so that I could read the article and see the photo - then I binned it because the photo was diabolical.

Used to buy the lot from DCT's but like you haven't touched them for a good 10 years. The standard of reporting is crap pretty much across the board but I'd expect better from our local paper considering their proud past.

• Star Post 1
36 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I don't believe that for one second Brad. 😉

the online version aint much better...give you the headline then part of the story then ask you to subscribe to read the rest....oh and their facebook page banned me for getting into "discussions" with a man who probably has a pro union tattoo stamped on his a**e.

I used to buy the Courier every Friday to look through the jobs pages, Saturday was good for the Articles For Sale.

Thursday night Tully for the DDYFA results and fixtures, Friday night to make sure they got the club notes right. Other nights to read Round The Courts to see if you knew anybody, then it was on to Readers Letters and the crossword.

Not bought either of them for a long time now.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

I used to buy the Courier every Friday to look through the jobs pages, Saturday was good for the Articles For Sale.

Thursday night Tully for the DDYFA results and fixtures, Friday night to make sure they got the club notes right. Other nights to read Round The Courts to see if you knew anybody, then it was on to Readers Letters and the crossword.

Not bought either of them for a long time now.

We were never a Courier family, Tully only. I remember the Sunday League section on Thursdays would print the scores but never went into double figures - 9-0 was the highest. 

My grandad used to read the Sporting Post and there was always a detective story at the back - anybody remember his name? The detective i mean, not my grandad!

I never really saw the Utd bias t.b.h. - I always put it down to them being better for so long. It pains me to say that but it was what it was - hand on heart now i'd say we were evens.

Edit - Dickson Hawke was the guy.

Edited by HK Blues
Recovered memory
  • Like 1

Do they still print different editions of the Tully every day? I remember having to wait for the Late Extra.....if I come home with the First Edition I would get sent back to the shop with it.

The DCT papers haven't always been toilet paper, they used to be real local papers that provided a lot for the people of Dundee. I think since the advent of scoial media the guys at DCT are under pressure to find sensationalist headlines and stories. This has turned a lot of readers away.

Back in the 80's when I was at The Rocky it seemed like half of us were paper boys at Sandys in Ardler. You hardly see a paper boy these days.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

Do they still print different editions of the Tully every day? I remember having to wait for the Late Extra.....if I come home with the First Edition I would get sent back to the shop with it.

The DCT papers haven't always been toilet paper, they used to be real local papers that provided a lot for the people of Dundee. I think since the advent of scoial media the guys at DCT are under pressure to find sensationalist headlines and stories. This has turned a lot of readers away.

Back in the 80's when I was at The Rocky it seemed like half of us were paper boys at Sandys in Ardler. You hardly see a paper boy these days.

Our papers are delivered at around 6 am every day by a bloke in a Mercedes. Still get a Xmas card every year from "Andy your paperboy" and his Xmas bonus is duly passed to the newsagent for him. Seems like the lazy so and so gets his Dad to do his round every day!!

I don't think there are many editions nowadays maybe only one. My father worked for DCT for 40 years up to the 80s. At that time if I remember right the first edition that was still printed at the time was the 5th edition followed by the 6th, Late Extra and lastly the City edition. In those days the Courier and Tele were respected local papers albeit with a right wing slant. The Weekly News and Peoples Journal were great for the football (the PJ especially for Junior Football) and the Sporting Post was in a class of its own, the best in Scotland. Because of my father working there I got all the comics of the day when I was young, Hotspur, Victor, Rover & Adventure (2 that had merged by the 60s), Wizard, Beano, Dandy, Topper,  Beezer and Commando Comics. The Topical Times Football book was always a good read at Xmas along with the Oor Wullie and Broons Annuals (alternate years in those days). All these publications were very good imo. I always thought it ironic that, given their slant on politics, they produced publications with names such as People's Journal, People's Friend, Red Letter Weekly and Red Star Weekly. I reckon my Father would have been horrified by the standard of the Courier & Tele today

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, troodee1893 said:

Our papers are delivered at around 6 am every day by a bloke in a Mercedes. Still get a Xmas card every year from "Andy your paperboy" and his Xmas bonus is duly passed to the newsagent for him. Seems like the lazy so and so gets his Dad to do his round every day!!

I don't think there are many editions nowadays maybe only one. My father worked for DCT for 40 years up to the 80s. At that time if I remember right the first edition that was still printed at the time was the 5th edition followed by the 6th, Late Extra and lastly the City edition. In those days the Courier and Tele were respected local papers albeit with a right wing slant. The Weekly News and Peoples Journal were great for the football (the PJ especially for Junior Football) and the Sporting Post was in a class of its own, the best in Scotland. Because of my father working there I got all the comics of the day when I was young, Hotspur, Victor, Rover & Adventure (2 that had merged by the 60s), Wizard, Beano, Dandy, Topper,  Beezer and Commando Comics. The Topical Times Football book was always a good read at Xmas along with the Oor Wullie and Broons Annuals (alternate years in those days). All these publications were very good imo. I always thought it ironic that, given their slant on politics, they produced publications with names such as People's Journal, People's Friend, Red Letter Weekly and Red Star Weekly. I reckon my Father would have been horrified by the standard of the Courier & Tele today

Since we moved my mum in, she gets a Courier every day and a Daily Mail on a Saturday (despite being a life long Liberal), and they get delivered by a mon-fri paperboy (and his dad) and a sat (and I'm guessing sun) paperboy (and his dad). I could imagine the reaction if I'd asked my dad to drive me round my paper round... 😂 Its definitely a different world now, mostly for the good but there's plenty that isn't so good. I don't think  it does the kids any favours to pamper them this much but then I'm a miserable old git. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1
2 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

Only one copy these days and it's not even printed later in the day anymore. My work sells the Tully and it gets delivered at 6am with all the other newspapers - may explain why the same stories are appearing in both the Tully and Courier.

Like others, I used to buy the Tully as it was generally a good read about local news. Tuesdays and Thursdays had all the amateur men's and boys scores and fixtures as well as finding out who your referee was going to be on the Saturday/Sunday and what pitch you'd be playing on. 

Sadly it's just a tedious rag now that's sold its soul.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cavorter said:

Only one copy these days and it's not even printed later in the day anymore. My work sells the Tully and it gets delivered at 6am with all the other newspapers - may explain why the same stories are appearing in both the Tully and Courier.

Like others, I used to buy the Tully as it was generally a good read about local news. Tuesdays and Thursdays had all the amateur men's and boys scores and fixtures as well as finding out who your referee was going to be on the Saturday/Sunday and what pitch you'd be playing on. 

Astonishing! Why not one paper called the Courier & Telegraph? What a con.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

I was at the Rocky in the 80's and a paper boy at Sandy's too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cavorter said:

I'm almost certain there's two editions of the Tully, could be wrong but I'm sure I've read the sports pages of the Late Extra in Asda.