Jump to content
The Dark Blues

The Tully

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I was in the Ardler multis - Wentworth.  We got our Tele's/Sunday Post and Mail/Shoot and Jackie magazines from Sandys.  Who knows, maybe the Rev was our paper boy!

I was the Spare Laddie as it was called, the guy who did anyones round who was sick or on holiday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to buy the Courier every Friday to look through the jobs pages, Saturday was good for the Articles For Sale. Thursday night Tully for the DDYFA results and fixtures, Friday night to make s

I was one in the seventies. At that time loads  of guys came up to pick up  bags of teles from The grand old High School of Kirkton. Then hopefully  get a freezer on the 1B and up into God's country t

Our papers are delivered at around 6 am every day by a bloke in a Mercedes. Still get a Xmas card every year from "Andy your paperboy" and his Xmas bonus is duly passed to the newsagent for him. Seems

39 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Hope naebody in your household had a "hairy hand" (re-Rev's post above) ... It all sounds scary to me :jawdrop:

That's a new one on me  - we were in the 6th block so not guilty! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

That's a new one on me  - we were in the 6th block so not guilty! 

This is starting to play on my mind HK ... I wonder if ye'd mind sending in a photie o' yir hands?

I realise it widnae be the conclusive proof required, but it might help me sleep easier at night:chaplin:

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gedee said:

This is starting to play on my mind HK ... I wonder if ye'd mind sending in a photie o' yir hands?

I realise it widnae be the conclusive proof required, but it might help me sleep easier at night:chaplin:

As handsome as my hands are, Gedee, I very much doubt they'll cure your insomnia.   

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gedee said:

Hope naebody in your household had a "hairy hand" (re-Rev's post above) ... It all sounds scary to me :jawdrop:

The hairy hand in the multis was something we spoke about as bairns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The hairy hand in the multis was something we spoke about as bairns.

You've sparked my curiousity & memory here Rev ...

Was it similar to the so called "White Lady" the Ghost who used to haunt the Big, Closed Down, Decrepit, Jute Mill off the Blackness Road. I'd expect you'd be far too young to remember. 

But the story was as such: that one one young Lassie was s working there when it was up & running. And got dragged into the machinery when her long hair become untied/loose, and she was dragged screaming (no surprisingly )to her death ... And again (not surprisingly her "body bits" were never recovered.

When it finally closed down it turned out to be a "haunt" (a place to go) for those who were brave enough to enter ... I think I did only once and it was certainly the eeriest place eh'd ever been in...Dark, Dusty, Empty & Still)

Except for the occasional, screeching, screaming noises, that seemed to come from nowhere :jawdrop:

It certainly scared the be-jesus oot us toerags :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gedee said:

You've sparked my curiousity & memory here Rev ...

Was it similar to the so called "White Lady" the Ghost who used to haunt the Big, Closed Down, Decrepit, Jute Mill off the Blackness Road. I'd expect you'd be far too young to remember. 

But the story was as such: that one one young Lassie was s working there when it was up & running. And got dragged into the machinery when her long hair become untied/loose, and she was dragged screaming (no surprisingly )to her death ... And again (not surprisingly her "body bits" were never recovered.

When it finally closed down it turned out to be a "haunt" (a place to go) for those who were brave enough to enter ... I think I did only once and it was certainly the eeriest place eh'd ever been in...Dark, Dusty, Empty & Still)

Except for the occasional, screeching, screaming noises, that seemed to come from nowhere :jawdrop:

It certainly scared the be-jesus oot us toerags :ph34r:

Similar Gedee, a wee story that did the roonds to fleg fowk.

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2020 at 20:57, Reverend Lovejoy said:

When they worked. Naebody wanted to deliver to the 3rd multi though due to the hairy hand on the 5th floor.

The Hairy Hand of Edzell :D

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

The Hairy Hand of Edzell :D

Wonder if that wis the basis o' an ancient black & white film 1940-50's "The Beast with Five Fingers"

It must have been one of the first horror films of it's kind (I believe some fowk were screaming & fentin' in the cinema) I actually saw it as a bairn and I'm no sure how. Maybe then there was no restrictions. And although now it would be no more than aone o' they, big laugh-out-loud movies, I think I remember at the time, it had some real scary moments.

I checked it up there on google just now & it all came back to me ..."Oh please no again" :sadno:

Dinnae worry I'm no gonna go intae a lang rambling story aboot it. "Thank you Gedee":chaplin: 

Widnae like to ruin "the plot" if you decide to watch it. But nevertheless here's a wee taster)

Thon scene, whar the pair o' hands, stumbling a bit, before loupin' doon the dark stairs, and intae the lounge & breaks the tension & silence, by starting playing the piano.

Cannae mind the tune "they" played, but it was certainly wisnae thon Upbeat, Chirpy, Cheery, Jaunty Tunes like...

"Happy Days are Here Again":jawdrop:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Wonder if that wis the basis o' an ancient black & white film 1940-50's "The Beast with Five Fingers"

It must have been one of the first horror films of it's kind (I believe some fowk were screaming & fentin' in the cinema) I actually saw it as a bairn and I'm no sure how. Maybe then there was no restrictions. And although now it would be no more than aone o' they, big laugh-out-loud movies, I think I remember at the time, it had some real scary moments.

I checked it up there on google just now & it all came back to me ..."Oh please no again" :sadno:

Dinnae worry I'm no gonna go intae a lang rambling story aboot it. "Thank you Gedee":chaplin: 

Widnae like to ruin "the plot" if you decide to watch it. But nevertheless here's a wee taster)

Thon scene, whar the pair o' hands, stumbling a bit, before loupin' doon the dark stairs, and intae the lounge & breaks the tension & silence, by starting playing the piano.

Cannae mind the tune "they" played, but it was certainly wisnae thon Upbeat, Chirpy, Cheery, Jaunty Tunes like...

"Happy Days are Here Again":jawdrop:

You probably just sneaked under the tent oor Wullie style, Gedee.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

You probably just sneaked under the tent oor Wullie style, Gedee.  

True Story ... Eh mind as pre-school bairns, a bunch o' us were makin oor way to the esplanade, tae dae a spot o' fishing in the River Tay for the flatties (which at that time were caught by the sackful)

The direction we took meant we passed behind the Greens Picture Hoose. One o' the lads noticed the Fire Door at the back wis open. So off we went, wi oor fishing haversacks & stuff, clad in oor wellies (which wis the standard footwear for all seasons)  right up the stairs, where we landed on the "Chummy Seats on the Balcony"  ... We hardly got a chance to settle into this New Found Luxury, when up came the Men wi' the Rorches who took  one look at us ...

And Dragged us doon the Stairs and then flung us oot, beside awe the Ither Rubbish at the Bins !! :(

We seriously couldnae mak oot, why we they'd no believe we paid ... And we must've lost oor tickets :lol2:

 

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

also used to deliver papers for sandys...started aff on baberton and barrasie courts then moved on to the even side of st fillians(late 80s) the weekends were a nightmare.....deliver fridays tully while starting the collection saturday morning deliver the courier etc then go try and get money from the folks who ignored ya on friday...back to the house work out your book and hope the f**k you hadnt short changed yourself ...doon to the shop to hand the money in and usually get a grilling fae harry about some trivial sh**e..saturday night do the tully then sprint back doon to get the posts...sunday the papers were so thick that you couldnt get the whole round into your bag so the shop would drive about putting the rest of your papers in a crisp box halfway up st fillians....think i got paid a fiver a week which went up to six when i went on the making up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.