The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Boss Reckons Dundee Team Will Go Down In History

Rate this topic

Paul Hartley believes his players have secured their place in Dundee folklore with their first derby win in more than a decade.

Not since 2004 had the Dark Blues been victorious in the City of Discovery clash.

But on Wednesday night that all changed as the hosts gave city rivals Dundee United, victorious in the previous three clashes this campaign, a taste of their own medicine.

While Dundee boss Paul admits he was delighted to secure three vital points, putting the top six destiny of his players in their own hands, this being a derby it obviously meant so much more to everyone associated with the club.

And having beaten United for the first time as a manager, he admits it was a pretty special feeling.

“Those are the type of games you get remembered for as a footballer,” Paul said.

“As a club, we have had it rammed down our throats often enough that it was more than 10 years since the last derby win.

“The fans will remember this. They will remember the night under the lights that Dundee beat United 3-1.

“This is special and they should enjoy it.

“I think the feeling in January was terrible. It was my lowest ebb as a manager. But this feels fantastic.

“We have managed to get the monkey off our back.”

Paul reckons his players won their individual battles.

He said: “I’m pleased for the players because they went about their business brilliantly.

“We talked a lot about winning the battles and I think that’s what we did.

“We worked on it all week. We wanted to make sure that we set the tone early.

“We’ve been disappointed with the way we have started the last two league games.

“We said to them they had to go out to pressure and make a game of it. We had good leaders out there.”

One particular leader the manager picked out was skipper Kevin Thomson.

Paul said: “When he plays, we play.

“Kevin has experience in the Edinburgh and Old Firm derbies.

“You can tell that by the way he conducts himself.

“You have to have a cool head in these kind of games because things can get frantic.”

Source: The Evening Telegraph