The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Find Out Who Celtic's Virgil Van Dijk Nominated For Player of The Year

Rate this topic

Celtic's Virgil Van Dijk has revealed his nominations for this season's Player of the Year awards with his vote for the individual prize going to Dundee's Greg Stewart.

The defender has selected the Dens Park striker, who has 15 goals in 34 appearances, as his Player of the Year.

Celtic's official Twitter feed posted a photograph of the 23 year old's votes as the squad made their selections.

He's also chose three Aberdeen players for his team of the season, naming Niall McGinn, who was also his second choice for Player of the Year, Kenny McLean and Shay Logan in his best XI.

Four players from Tayside were also picked, with Dundee's Stewart and Scott Bain getting the nod alongside Dundee United's Jaroslaw Fojut and Ryan Dow.

Van Dijk also selected two from Inverness Caley Thistle. David Raven was included, but his nomination for Andrew Shinnie, rather than his brother Graeme, may raise some eyebrows as the player left two seasons ago.

Tope Obadeyi represents Kilmarnock while John McGinn was picked from struggling St Mirren.

The Dutchman chose Caley Thistle's Ryan Christie as his best young player this season.

Players have until Friday 17th of April to submit their votes ahead of next month's awards dinner

Virgil Van Dijk's Team of the Year

Goalkeeper: Scott Bain (Dundee)
Defenders: Graeme Shinnie and David Raven (both Inverness CT), Jaroslaw Fojut (Dundee United), Shay Logan (Aberdeen)
Midfielders: John McGinn (St Mirren), Ryan Dow (Dundee United), Kenny McLean (Aberdeen)
Forwards: Greg Stewart (Dundee), Niall McGinn (Aberdeen), Tope Obadeyi (Kilmarnock)

My team would be

Gordon

Raven Van Dijk Denayer Shinnie

Tansey Armstrong Hayes

Stewart Rooney Griffiths

Tansey isn't a winger but I couldn't think of a right winger and I think he is a bit of an unsung hero in the league. Matches if not tops Armstrong and Jack who are continually hyped up. Tempted to put Bain in but given Gordon's season I thought I'd seem a bit biased. The DABs (bar ofc Armstrongs half season) and St Johnstone IMO don't deserve a player in. Made up of players of the top 3 plus one Dee (maybe biased but I really think he deserves it)

I'd go

Bain

Logan, Van Dyke, Dennayer, Izaguire.

Draper, Brown, Armstrong.

Johansen, GMS.

Griffiths.

Harsh on Stewart , Jack, McGinn and Rooney but not sure any of them would get in the Celtic team week in week out never mind the team of the year.

Up until last week I would've possibly thought of Fojut but he got found out playing against a guy with a bit of pace.

I'd go

Bain

Logan, Van Dyke, Dennayer, Izaguire.

Draper, Brown, Armstrong.

Johansen, GMS.

Griffiths.

Harsh on Stewart , Jack, McGinn and Rooney but not sure any of them would get in the Celtic team week in week out never mind the team of the year.

Up until last week I would've possibly thought of Fojut but he got found out playing against a guy with a bit of pace.

It's not the best team, it's the players who have had the best season performance wise. It doesn't matter if they'd make the Celtic team. GMS, Brown and Izzaguire would be nowhere near it.

Not surprised Van Dijk voted Stewart; the game at Celtic Park Stewart was amazing.

Gordon (whole season)

Logan Van Dijk Meekings Shinnie

Johansen Armstrong Watkins

Stewart Rooney Hayes

It's not the best team, it's the players who have had the best season performance wise. It doesn't matter if they'd make the Celtic team. GMS, Brown and Izzaguire would be nowhere near it.

Not surprised Van Dijk voted Stewart; the game at Celtic Park Stewart was amazing.

You've got a striker playing in a midfield 3 also 2 players (Stewart and Hayes) who play in the same position. My team would pump yours! :)

For me Brown's the best defensive midfielder in the land by a country mile.

Granted Shinnie's had a good season by his standards and it was between him and Izaguirre. I'm not sure there's much to pick from at left back tbh.

Team of the season is the best players in each position that season isn't it, not just the 11 best?

Think Stefan Johanson will win it myself. 

You've got a striker playing in a midfield 3 also 2 players (Stewart and Hayes) who play in the same position. My team would pump yours! :)

For me Brown's the best defensive midfielder in the land by a country mile.

Granted Shinnie's had a good season by his standards and it was between him and Izaguirre. I'm not sure there's much to pick from at left back tbh.

Team of the season is the best players in each position that season isn't it, not just the 11 best?

Better than our Tommo?