Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Now That Paul Hartley Has A Three Year Contract ..........

Gedee

Now that DFC and PH have agreed to an extended contract ......

What do we do when that period comes to a successful end, but, for whatever reason, he wishes then to move on ?

I kwow that might sound a bit premature, and even be felt to be a bit o' a daft question.

But I do have two reasons for asking that at this time..........  The first is simple........

Before we managed to consolidate his more permanent stay at DFC, I was always a bit apprehensive to even suggest the idea, of where we go, once, and if, he leaves.

Simply becuase I either might be putting the idea in DFC's, PH's, or our own head. Or maybe even put a "jinx" on the situation, as it presently stood. The situation now feels much more comfortable, and as such, easier to raise and discuss..

However the main thrust of the topic is,where should we look to find our next manager ?

Like some others, I always felt, it was better to openly advertise it ....... and then follow this process with interviews from the best of the short-listed candidates, wherever they came from. Now I am not so sure.

Ideally, I hope PH'S three year tenure is highly successful and this leads on to him and the club to make his stay, even more permanent.

But the question might be, if after the present contract ends, and PH decides to move on, should we consider, looking for a repacement from one of the more senior players, already at the Club, who has had the benefit (and knows in great detail) the possibly more modern, varied approach of PH's successful style of management.

I know it is never as simple as that (or every manager would be a great success) .......but it might be a starting point.

Surely amongst our own playing squad (present and future) PH himself, as well as the Club, will see a potential successor, within our own playing squad, that has, not only the core skills to be a successful manager, but has had the benefit of working under/alongside PH's guidance/teaching. ? Coiuld this be a way to consider ?

And if so, the earlier the preparation the better I would think.     

Is this scenario, worth a discussion, or a few posts ?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Apologies for coming back so quickly. I did of course forget to mention Kevin Thomson.

A class player, with the right background. The right age and highly respected  by PH.

Maybe Dundee FC might consider offering him a position as player/assistant coach ?

The way I see it, there's simply too many variables. 

If PH gets his way and we win a cup/finish top 4 a couple times, and solidify ourselves then budgets change massively as do expectations.  Their should always be a backup plan for if it were to go wrong right here and now, but to be planning for the future, you're gonna need a mystic ball for that sorta stuff.

Succession planning is always worth thinking about....they did it at Hamilton when Neil left......oops maybe that one did not work out!

I think perhaps Thomson and McPake could be coaches in near future as they are doing their badges I think...

Hi andersong ......... In meh rush to pit doon Thomson, eh forgot to mention McPake.

Either/or both, would appear to be worth considering, if DFC decided to do some very early pre-planning.

Maybe should emphasise again, I am hoping this eventuality, never happens.   But surely better to prepare for the possibility ?

If the money was available, at worst,we could hold on to experienced player/coaches. At best, an experienced coach to step in if or when required ?

The way I see it, there's simply too many variables. 

If PH gets his way and we win a cup/finish top 4 a couple times, and solidify ourselves then budgets change massively as do expectations.  Their should always be a backup plan for if it were to go wrong right here and now, but to be planning for the future, you're gonna need a mystic ball for that sorta stuff.

Hi Deestruction ........Thank you as well for your considered reponse. Basically I agree with all you have said there.

But if I can just focus on ......" but to be planning for the future, you're gonna need a mystic ball for that sort a stuff"

How many managers have we, and other clubs appointed, who have seemed to come along with the right pedigree ..... and it has all went to pieces !!

The suggestion I am putting forward, of course could go exactly the same way !! 

But there might  (just might)  be a better chance, that during the period before a possible appointment, because DFC and PH would have put in some real input into what was expected from a potential manager/coach (and his direct experience under PH influence) the leap into full management would not be so great ..... or worrying.

Certainly if PH left a successful period of management with DFC to go to another Club, I for one, would listen to his personal recommendation for his successor. Especially if he had worked successfully with him for a few years, basically in a joint coaching position.....Mind he could tak him as weel !!

Well Gerry McCabe is current coach but no spring chicken so who knows re. future coaches/assistant managers. No harm IMO in grooming coaches whether for here or for a first managerial appointment elsewhere - part of an employers people development no?

That's a valid point, clubs are constantly developing young players for the future, why not manager material too?? Cover all bases so to speak.

Adblock Detected