Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Julian Speroni: ‘I My Owe Career to Dundee’

TheDarkBlues

Source: The Evening Telegraph

Julian Speroni admits he owes his English Premier League success to Dundee, after the Dark Blues plucked him from youth football in South America.

The current Crystal Palace keeper came to Dens Park from Platense in 2001, having made just two first-team appearances. Three memorable years at Dens followed, before a switch to Selhurst Park ensued. The Argentinean says he has Dundee to thank for the success he’s enjoyed in British football. And it’s for that reason he chose the club for his May 26 Eagles testimonial.

“They gave me an opportunity when I was a young kid, 21 or 22, and not experienced at all. They believed in me,” he said. “That’s why when I had my first meeting with my testimonial committee I told them I would like it to be Dundee.

“Normally players need to play in their own country first and then, if they do well, a move to Europe grows from that. But I’d only played two games for the first team — I had been training with them since I was 16.”

Reflecting on his time at Dens, he also singled out then-boss Ivano Bonetti for showing faith in his talents. “He watched videos of me, liked them and made an offer,” said Speroni. “I thought ‘why not?’ In South America it’s most players’ dream to play in Europe.

“I did a little research and at that time Dundee had a few Argentinian players. “That helped me a little bit in my decision because they told me about the league and the country. It felt more like home. “If I’d stayed at home, I probably never would have had the chance to come to the UK and Palace wouldn’t have happened.”

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adblock Detected