Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Solar Panels

Anybody on here got them?

Was listening to radio Scotland this morning and quite a good piece on them but there seems to be no middle ground, people either swear by them or hate them.

Wondering also if anybody has sold house with them on property and whether buyers seen it as a benefit or put them off.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody on here got them?

Was listening to radio Scotland this morning and quite a good piece on them but there seems to be no middle ground, people either swear by them or hate them.

Wondering also if anybody has sold house with them on property and whether buyers seen it as a benefit or put them off.

Only thing that puts me off is the initial cost.

I *think*, even with grants, the saving is wildy skewed by said costs... Although I'm wondering how nmuch of a difference the new Tesla Wall batteries will make...

Only thing that puts me off is the initial cost.

I *think*, even with grants, the saving is wildy skewed by said costs... Although I'm wondering how nmuch of a difference the new Tesla Wall batteries will make...

After council tax and grub my biggest expense. Initial cost seemed to vary between 5 and 8k.

One woman said bills were now £20 per mth and she received around £600 per annum fae utility company.

Nae reason to disbelieve but that seems pretty guid, almost too good.

Depending on your roof structure you may also need to make structural modifications because of the added load of the panels. Something else to consider on top of the initial cost.

You see mair folk we them on outbuildings which I think is a better option rather than them on your house but as you can probably tell nae expert.

Often wonder as well if folk that work for utility companies take them up in higher numbers.

After council tax and grub my biggest expense. Initial cost seemed to vary between 5 and 8k.

One woman said bills were now £20 per mth and she received around £600 per annum fae utility company.

Nae reason to disbelieve but that seems pretty guid, almost too good.

You do have to wonder why she even *has* a bill when they are paying her £600 a year... :)

(I have to say, that's the cheapest I have seen initial costs.. maybe the prices have dropped sharply over the last few years?? not exactly high on my radar!)

:)

One person who I worked with (ok lad)

But, maybe because he was an ex-banker possibly, saw everything in terms of money.

After researching the returns to be gained in installing them,against initial costs of outlay etc. he then went on to research about ten different Companies to assess th best value (cheapest). He installed them and 12 months after he made a special point of visiting me to relate the huge savings he made over that period and to convince me to buy them ......savings and profits detailed on a weekly basis to the nearest penny .....  (boring afternoon)

On the basis of his figures, it would probably be a good investment.

The issue of structural damage to roof is something maybe to consider. Were I to have went ahead, although initially the installer (he recommended) said, that would NOT be a problem, when I checked with builder, who had replaced my whole roof, I was told if I went ahead with this, the life-time guarantee on my newly installed roof would become invalid.      Passed this on to Solar Panel Company and because of this, they would NOT install it.

(Sorry for the long story, but it might help others to decide before going ahead)

I got panels about a month ago, 7.5K and I'm still waiting on my first bill so can't give you a saving there. I did calculate that in the first 3 weeks I made about 40 quid in subsidies, not recalculated it since though and the weather wasn't the best for 2 of those 3 weeks. Crunching the numbers made sense for us (and thats on a west facing roof, south is best). We're in a new build and there were no problems with the roof being able to support the panels, well, none that we were made aware of :-(

I got panels about a month ago, 7.5K and I'm still waiting on my first bill so can't give you a saving there. I did calculate that in the first 3 weeks I made about 40 quid in subsidies, not recalculated it since though and the weather wasn't the best for 2 of those 3 weeks. Crunching the numbers made sense for us (and thats on a west facing roof, south is best). We're in a new build and there were no problems with the roof being able to support the panels, well, none that we were made aware of :-(

Who did you use?

Decent job?

Adblock Detected