Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

What Can Improve Scottish Football?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Good article. I would love summer football with an eighteen team league where we play other teams twice.

Games to be played on grass, cheaper tickets especially for kids, alcohol allowed back at grounds and better catering. Also love to have the bookies opened at Dens again

A good article, they've touched on a number of issues, one being turning the match day experience into more of a 'day' rather than just the game. I don't have the answers but if they could get people in the ground for longer they have a captive audience for food and drink, If they could open grounds a few hours before the game and put something on for kids and maybe charge the adults a fiver or whatever, if they were able to sell alcohol as well to keep the parents 'amused' it might be a a money spinner and also get kids more involved with the club. This would only work for clubs if they were doing their own catering and the like, otherwise its just more money for Lindley's.

Back when we had decent teams more emphasis was placed on technique than physical fitness plus the game was a lot slower which made good technique much easier.You've got guys who can walk around futba grounds doing hundreds of keepy-up's.Ask them to run as fast as they can and produce the same results,which is basically what we do in Scotland,or have a couple of cloggers tracking their every move and the technique suffers.

We need to slow things down and concentrate on basic skills like control & passing and forget the 90 miles an hour stuff.

Is it any coincidence that our most technical player,Gary Harkins,doesn't run aboot like a blue 3rsed flea?.

Likewise, I agree , a very good article. I particularly like the way they have separated each issue, which they feel affects the game.

Although I am no in the mood the noo, I think each issue raised,even on their own, would be worth discussing here on the forum.

So hope there are other members happy to contribute here, to this topic, and further open up the points raised, in the BBC article.

A BRIEF COMMENT ON EACH HEADING ........In a wee effort to try to stimulate discussion.......( And I dinnae think you are being precious andersong)

LEAGUE SIZE ..........When I wis a wee lad, many, many, moons ago, that wis the time the first division wis much bigger.

We still got the focus on the bigger teams monopolising the top spots. But just like today we got plenty shock results, that helped to make the whole thing exciting. But that said, the league positions could be just about set in place long before the season officially ended. There is no doubt (imo) the play-offs have brought excitement to the end of season games.

SUMMER FOOTBALL ......... There are arguments for and against and in my opinion, each have merit.

But on balance, I think summer football is the way to go. Watching a game should be a pleasant, comfortable experience in a modern stadium with quality catering. As we kinda fall down on most of these things (cauld pehs and drafty, auld fashioned stadiums ......maybe the pleasure o' warmth, sun and blue skies, might be enough tae cheer us up.

CONDITION OF PITCHES .........I think I agree with most, grass is tradtional, and may be the best for obvious reasons.

But times change, and it may be the time to consider alternatives There is nothing finer at the start of the season to see pitches and turf at their best. But even quality pitches suffer, to sometimes an unplayable condition, as the worst of the winter weather does untold damage  (artificial turf ..... maybe also an additional money earner ?)

VALUE for MONEY ........ I get to so few games now, this is something that does not affect me directly. Personal financial circumstances, may well be the main priority, that make the decision, for many fans/supporters and families, whether what they are paying is justified, and giving value for money. Low crowds, means less revenue, means higher prices I would not think is the way to go. But we all want to see the best players and best football .........there has to be another way of bringing in additional income.

FAN ENGAGEMENT ........ I think by and large fans are engaged with their Club. But I am not so sure the Club could not be able to do a great deal more to cement the bonds between supporters and club .....and vica-versa. If it is DFC we are talking about here, I did feel for whatever reason, that things could be agreat deal better. I was not expecting big innovation, but I did feel there could be more communication, maybe better and quicker responses to any fan concerns ...... and maybe even abit more understanding from our American friends, about  just how much love, loyalty, tradition, there was around our historic Club DFC.

There is no need to pick the bones of the points made in this post. It is only some "top of my head" thoughts, just to encourage discussion .......if the mood takes you :)

• Like 1

Adblock Detected