Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The Jury Is Still Out

TC86

I'm not calling for the head of the manager and I'm still really hopeful that he proves to be the right man to lead us but after Saturdays match i am still hugely unconvinced with Gary Bowyer .

Since his arrival I've felt given he has inherited someone else's side and still needed to put his own stamp on things that he deserved time  .

I commented on this forum MONTHS  back that our forward area in particular was a massive concern with playing 1 striker ( Rudden ) who wasn't anywhere near good enough IMO and most certainly nowhere strong enough to play that lone striker role for us . 

Looking at sides around us who also play 1 striker v like Ayr & Partick the big difference was their man up top was  actually a strong enough outlet who they could instinctively look up and hit . they can hold the ball up and people can get in around him whereas I was watching us not able to get up the pitch and play in the opposition half and instead seeing us over-play passes in midfield then when we did play it forward inevitably see it come straight back at us . 

With the signing of Kwame it gave me real hope that the gaffer seen this was a major issue and had addressed it for which he ought to be commended.

Again praise must go to him for switching to a 4-4-2 after the dire performance away to Thistle and by and large I've also been impressed when he has changed things early in matches when for whatever reason the side he has picked isn't working . 

But looking at that on Saturday i just think I'm still not 100% convinced in our gaffer. 

He probably had to play Cameron after his recent displays so I've no real complaints there but I always thought it was  a match Lyall  was always going to struggle in  .

So start him yes but Surely though he ought to have been taken off when it became pretty clear he was way off it ,either at half time or very early in the second half , and replaced by either  Ben Williamson or preferably Shaun Byrne who would have been far more effective in that sort of game .

Moving on to  the decision  to start McMullan up front .

Again my concern ahead of kickoff was we needed more of a physical presence up front for this match but seeing as Paul did well against Hamilton there was a strong case for not changing it so fair enough .

AGAIN though surely it didn't take until 75mins to realise we couldn't get up the park and need strength to do so .Paul McMullan is at his best running at people NOT playing with his back to goal , he ought to have been switched to the right hand side with the ineffective Luke Mcowan coming off and  kwame going up front .

Id have thought these were all pretty basic and obvious moves that most people could see .

The fact our manager clearly hasn't is i must admit making me doubt him 

Arbroath was always going to be very hard trip for us but we blew yet another great chance to put some daylight between ourselves at the top and the rest .

instead we made it harder for ourselves by what i attribute to  poor team selection then very poor game management .   

• Agree 2

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

In the last 4 years before this season, we've been complete diddies in almost every department IMO.

Bowyer has inherited a squad of guys who haven't proven themselves or are youth players who haven't established themselves in the game. It's been scouring for guys to come in on expenses only short term deals and scraping the bare minimum transfer bucket (with exception of French as his one actual signings).

It's easy to go on about him being risk averse etc but in the first weeks, it was very apparent we were an absolute light touch and flogging a ridiculous number of soft goals. The 4-2 home win over Arbroath for example, absolutely cruising the game and very dominant playing around their third for 89 minutes. In a blink of an eye, we throw 2 away and they have an open goal to go 3-2 up in the 90th minute... Fans come out of that one celebrating but it was hugely worrying and would have given him a heart attack.

He's spent a lot of time reworking to solidify the defence and has had a job compromising that with the balance of attack. Some of the younger guys have really struggled with certain parts of the game and it's needed a lot of patience to mould them in - Cameron in particular this half of the season has been a big gamble and he didn't look near capable of holding his own in a central pairing a few months ago (and was very shaky when he come in).

Another issue he's found is that when making a lot of subs, we've often not been capable of keeping any cohesion and just completely collapsed when changing the midfield or centre backs.

On Saturday, my instinct would have probably been the more physical approach in Kwame up top but for me McCowan needs to be shown a bit of faith, the whole inconsistent chat with him is very harsh and just the whole Scottish football label given to wingers when they don't just tear a team apart on their own every week.

You've then got the Kwame V McMullan decision and have the appeal of the latter giving more of a goal threat and seeing the rewards if you do get him to give just a small amount of that threat in another role (and even though he isn't good there, there were a few moments where his pace created danger out of very little).

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Deeboy08 said:

Think it was a lot to do with Arbroath targeting Lyle rather than him being really poor but your right that bowyer should have taken him off in the 2nd half for someone who who could have got stuck in

I think he's a bit fearful for how often these centre mid changes have went massively wrong. Williamson isn't a good player deep, unsure that Maguire and Byrne really have the athleticism to hold their own in that middle 2 tbh.

Think Cameron did look a bit redundant at the end but do think he reads games pretty well and makes decent interceptions etc, don't get the fear of him taking people out in stupid areas like I do with others.

Maybe you should have applied for his job  lol 

we are all great gaffers on here but we don t know circumstances day to day - ie training , fitness etc , form confidence levels . Big Kwame  being a great example after being out fir a month or so and housebound with concussion ( nobody know his levels of fitness and sharpness outwith our coaching staff ) 

Imo looking back at St Mirren in the cup Jak played up top on his own and done great , on Saturday not nearly the same . However the difference was the quality of passing from the back - v St Mirren everything went to his feet or chest and brought others in to play - On Saturday it was appalling the service to him from the back .

MCMullan I agree with , best out side but again he was out most dangerous olayer on Saturday ( clearly lacking in confidence and getting him back to the boil would be massive in last few games) 

Also Not so sure there is much between your top 6 in the league and 7 or 8 teams on top division so if we get it over the line  then fair play to GB . 

• Agree 1

I don’t think the guys that rate the manager will have to long to wait to see him gone, think he will be away in the summer no matter what league we are in.

So again the upheaval will begin with a new manager.

On Saturday I would have took off Cameron, it wasn’t his day or conditions, another small criticism is this Ready signing, unless this guy is a cut above our squad then I find it a bizarre signing, boys on the bench yesterday must have been slightly pi553d off watching a guy signed in mid April going on ahead of them.

We needed that early goal Saturday to settle the players/fans, it never came, and the 2nd half was a tough watch against the wind.

Win Tuesday and we are comfortable favourites.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Agree 1

Managers work in mysterious ways.. I can't think of a Dundee manager whose decisions in team elections, subbies  and formations I've ever totally agreed with, or, perhaps, more to the point,  understood,  100% of the time.. in fact, expand that to every other club, ever.. just take a look at any other forum, and fans there will have their disagreements with the boss at their club. sometimes totally mystified by the decisions made by the gaffer.

I was unsure why we played two smaller guys up front against Arbroath. But then, I don't know what goes on in training.who's fully fit etc. Being a football fan is all about opinions. quite a lot of the time those opinions are not particularly well informed. Who know's what the fek is going on behind the scenes?

IMHO, we should have had this league sewn up weeks ago. But that's just not the Dundee way.

Most people were saying before Saturday's game that it was the hardest one in the whole run in. If that's the case, I'll take 1 point and a clean sheet. 

Fingers crossed we don't f*ck up tomorrow night against Raith. 

I'm more concerned about what will happen next season no matter the division we are in. I hope there is lots of planning going on behind the scenes. Because from my viewpoint we seem to be trundling over a cliff in regard to having a squad sorted for the next campaign. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Dee said:

Maybe you should have applied for his job  lol 

we are all great gaffers on here but we don t know circumstances day to day - ie training , fitness etc , form confidence levels . Big Kwame  being a great example after being out fir a month or so and housebound with concussion ( nobody know his levels of fitness and sharpness outwith our coaching staff ) 

Imo looking back at St Mirren in the cup Jak played up top on his own and done great , on Saturday not nearly the same . However the difference was the quality of passing from the back - v St Mirren everything went to his feet or chest and brought others in to play - On Saturday it was appalling the service to him from the back .

MCMullan I agree with , best out side but again he was out most dangerous olayer on Saturday ( clearly lacking in confidence and getting him back to the boil would be massive in last few games) 

Also Not so sure there is much between your top 6 in the league and 7 or 8 teams on top division so if we get it over the line  then fair play to GB . 

Massive difference in my view and we are still some way off that

2 hours ago, Deeboy08 said:

Think it was a lot to do with Arbroath targeting Lyle rather than him being really poor but your right that bowyer should have taken him off in the 2nd half for someone who who could have got stuck in

I 100% agree it was more to do with them making sure Lyall was denied space but as you say he still ought to have been taken off . 

On Daturday Campbell would know that Ashcroft and Sweeneys passing is abysmal and would have tried to make them hit long balls up to Jak.

Jak can hold a ball in pretty well if at the right height or to his feet but not at his head as Ashcroft and Sweeney persisted in playing.

Maybe if Thomas was playing that might have worked but I give Campbell some credit for forcing us to hit it long,

Adblock Detected