The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
JoeCovenant

Crystal Palace Consider Link With Dundee In Wake of Julian Speroni Testimonial

Rate this topic

Source: The Courier

The hugely successful testimonial match for former Dundee FC star Julian Speroni could lead to a lasting link between the Dark Blues and his current club Crystal Palace.

The London side were so impressed with the atmosphere created by the visiting fans that they will look into the staging of a pre-season friendly in the coming seasons. Speaking to The Courier, one of the club’s owners and co-chairman Stephen Browett was fulsome in his praise of Dundee FC and its supporters.

He said he’d forwarded the suggestion for another meeting to senior officials at the club and hoped it could happen in the near future.

Around 2,000 Dundee fans travelled to London for the star-studded match at Selhurst Park and hailed it as one of their best football experiences of recent years.

Palace fans too were delighted with the atmosphere created at the game by the visitors and called for a pre-season friendly to let them travel north to reciprocate.

“On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the supporters of Dundee for their quite outstanding support of the Julian Speroni Testimonial match at Selhurst Park this week,†said Mr Browett, who is also chairman of fine wine wholesaler Farr Vintners. “We have welcomed the supporters of the 19 other English Premier League clubs to our stadium this past season but Dundee’s were by far the loudest, friendliest and most passionate that we have seen. “Indeed, many Palace fans have described them as “the best away fans everâ€.

“We would certainly consider another friendly match with Dundee at some time in the future, although I think it’s too late to organise it for this summer. I’m forwarding this suggestion to our chief executive and club secretary.â€

The match ended in a 4-3 win for a Palace side that saw current stars, former players and manager Alan Pardew all pull on the red and blue. The game was a hit with each and every one - including the Scotland internationals currently playing for Palace.

Wunderbar!

Aye, positive praise and publicity for DFC and Our Supporters, is always welcome. And a Big Special, Well done to all the DFC Supporters.

So a Big Thank you for the statement above, and to all fans at Crystal Palace, who extended such a warm welcome to our visiting DFC fans.

And also a genuine appreciation of all those who took the time to register and post, such warm comments on TDB Forum.............Thank you.

• Like 2

Glad all over!

• Like 2

hi guys

palace fan here.

ive just seen this announcement on one of our sites, and was gonna forward it on. But obviously you already have it.

great turnout by your fans the other night. Much respect

what do you all think of a possible link? i think its a good idea. Seems like your club is similar to ours. We have some very promising youngsters, and would be good to get them some game time, at a better standard.

• Like 1

I think it's an exciting piece of news. It could be mutually beneficial for us to take one or two Palace kids to help them develop. Plus if we produce a player of the calibre of James McCarthy we could do a deal with Palace.

• Like 1

If they can't organise a freindly in time for this close season, I will still be coming up for a Dees match when fixtures don't clash, the Mrs is coming up as well.

Will be looking when the fixtures come out, and will get it booked.

https://twitter.com/js_testimonial/status/1265224059270430720?s=21

• Like 4

What an unforgettable night that was in south London.

• Like 2

It was a cracking couple of days for us, we were staying with Dee pals who looked after us and the night itself was fantastic. 😍😍

Pity this link up never happened, could of been good for us, opportunity lost imo 

I lived close to Croydon at the time and it was brilliant to bring my kids (20 and 18 at the time) to see Dundee and especially the fans on that amazing night. For once they were proud to let their South London friends know that they had Dundee connections. The Palace fans they know thought we were awesome that night.

Special night, amazing memories.

• Like 6

Don't remember much about it. Pretty sure I was there though.

🍻 🍻 🍻

• Funny 2

It truly was a night to remember Dundee and Palace legend. Dundee fans a credit to the club. I wonder what Julián is doing now ? Sadly his restaurant had to be closed down but I believe that there is a bar in Selhurst Park called “Speroni’s”.