Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

European Cup; Remembering Dundee's Run in 1963.

gedee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439318

I'm not quite sure why I added this link at this particular time.

But it appeared on BBC Scotland Site, just about 4 hours ago.

For me, & I'm sure guid few others, it brought back memories.

Glory Days in fitba terms. But also some sad personal times.

To us auld ains who survived sixty years since in between :wub:

.....And noo back to the the present day and Cove Rangers :chin:

• Like 6

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, offshoredee said:

Grew up on the stories of this team.....💙

Thanks for response my friend.

So many DFC fans still concerned that  we may still blow our chances of promotion and getting so tensed up, about our match against Cove, that when I came across the article (link above) it just made me think again, just how much has changed. Not just in football terms (the way the game is played etc), but in the way of excitement, interest, attendance...

The photo at the top of the article, may give a false impression of the number that attended Dens on a weekly basis. But even put that aside, there were some great crowds pushing & shoving every week, to get in to watch the club/team we loved. Now we are starting to slaver at the thought o' 6-7 thousand fans crowding into Dens Park to see a game, that may decide whether this is the year we get promotion :chin:

Anyway, as you say in your short comment offshore, that was some team !! Football at it's best :happyyes:

Back then, the excitement of making our way up weekly to Dens (reserve games) was the highlight of our week. The general standard of football on offer was not always of the highest in every one of these reserve games. But as others, just like myself, could not afford the cost of travelling to away games usually to see the "big team", these reserve games could in most weeks still pulled in the crowds...And these Dark Blue Die-Hards were never slow in making there presence (feelings) known....

Mental Times Really but great fun as weel:chaplin:

And although we'll never see their like again :sadno:

Thanks Lads for these Wonderful Memories :wub:

Back to the present. It's time for Promotion :bouncy:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Parcbara said:

I was at the semi final, but was a nipper so can’t remember anything about it. 

I was a Kid watching the first leg in Milan on TV live. I remember all of those camera flashes whenever ball was in the Dundee goal area in 2nd half. Did that contribute to us losing 4 goals in that period? I often reflect on that incident.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parcbara said:

I was at the semi final, but was a nipper so can’t remember anything about it. 

I was also at the semi final, was nearly nine years old and main memories were of the Milan strips (thought they looked great) and also the camera flashes but didn't appreciate the significance of them at the time.

• Like 2

Was at all the home ties, only 10 at the time but still have a good memory of them. One thing I've often reflected on is whether having such a start to supporting the Dee, League win, European Cup run, cup final and a few years later the Fairs Cup run all before I left school has made the difficult times since more bearable. I suppose you can't take away the memories and with both grandfathers, father, uncles and cousins all dees there was only one way to go for me and I've never regretted it. Once a Dee always a Dee. Now just win the next two games and give all current Dees a good memory to take forward.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, troodee1893 said:

Was at all the home ties, only 10 at the time but still have a good memory of them. One thing I've often reflected on is whether having such a start to supporting the Dee, League win, European Cup run, cup final and a few years later the Fairs Cup run all before I left school has made the difficult times since more bearable. I suppose you can't take away the memories and with both grandfathers, father, uncles and cousins all dees there was only one way to go for me and I've never regretted it. Once a Dee always a Dee. Now just win the next two games and give all current Dees a good memory to take forward.

Let's put it this way, troodee, I missed all of those great moments and I doubt you'll be calling me a lucky so-and-so! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks to everyone for all your shared memories at that time ...

Think I'm NOT the only one who associates "The Game Experience" at that  time, with other memories outside football.  Or of course, it's may an "Aulder Person Thing" 

But when I look back on some of the Dundee games, both good and bad) I know the memory & finer details, goes misty or worse, when  it comes to details (or even results) More times than not I'm sure, I really do get myself mair than a wee bit mixed up :wacko:

But it aye triggers & opens the door, to other memories and experiences.

Again, some real good times, but inevitably, some very sad ones as well)

Meanwhile back to Cove Game ... No nonsense DFC. And No Nghtmares.

(Still mind thon Fraseburgh result) Just get out there & do it Dundee FC :wub:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

I was just too young for most of the above but attended every game in the Fairs Cup run. The next 8 years supporting Dundee was great fun but it's been a toil for a lot of the time since then. Never stop being a Dee though. DTID!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rebbkintyre said:

I was a Kid watching the first leg in Milan on TV live. I remember all of those camera flashes whenever ball was in the Dundee goal area in 2nd half. Did that contribute to us losing 4 goals in that period? I often reflect on that incident.

I too was glued to the box to watch the San Siro match .I wished I was in England because the lucky English got the whole match.BBC Scotland however decided in its infinite wisdom that they would not re-schedule a religous programme.Whether that was due to OF not being involved will never be known .We didnt even get score flashes but coverage started,Black & White of course,and we seemed to be in a good position at HT at 1-1.

It literally went all downhill from there on.Milan had noticed that Bert Slater was not the tallest and had bribed the referee to give them free kicks every time we tackled.

It was irrelevant to the ref.who,it was later proved had accepted 'over generous'gifts that 2 or 3 press camera men intruded onto the pitch for these free kicks are were inside the six yard box facing Bert and flashing the cameras right into his eyes.That,combined with the forwards clambering onto Yogi's shoulders led directly to their 4 second half goals.

Our one opportunity was at 5-1 when Doug Houston broke upfield for a one on one but sclaffed it high .Doug was brought in to the team for an injured Bobby Cox and as the Article reflects Craig Brown ,the usual reserve was also injured.

Often wondered if Doug had scored that would the 2-5 scoreline have made a difference for the Dens match.No disrespect for Doug who was a fine left half and had done brilliantly to make the chance and who I think is one of just 3 survivors from that match.

• Like 3

Adblock Detected