Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Dundee FC Seasons.

Posting (loosely) in relation to another post I read re bringing through our own players.

Looking back at previous seasons and previous players I found it incredible that our home crowds were so low even though we had home grown talent and external signings like Coyne and Wright. In 1986 we finished 6th, scored 74 goals, were undefeated in 30 of our games (18 wins, 12 draws), gave Celtic 4 at Dens, 7 against St Mirren yet could only break the 5000 barrier against the top 6 supported teams (Celtic, Rangers, Utd, Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen). Against Aberdeen, a traditionally high attendance game we had £4k+ at home in one game. On average our attendances were higher as the stadium capacity was greater meaning the bigger clubs could bring more though.

I guess we could throw money at Academies, fancy signings and new stadiums but at the end of the day attendances will be what they will be and other factors like how the DAB's are fairing and probably how the economy is fairing will have a direct bearing on our attendances.

Comparing then to now we seem to be doing alright considering the rollercoaster ride that we've been on.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Agree average home ticket sales have remained roughly the same over the last 30 years apart from a few blips,  early 90s well down early 00s well up.

To have an average of 4000 to 5000 Dee's with the amount of time out the Premiership, two admins and prices rising is incredible. The fans deserve a lot of credit.

4 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Looking back at previous seasons and previous players I found it incredible that our home crowds were so low even though we had home grown talent and external signings like Coyne and Wright.

Rev I guess we have to acknowledge that the premiership created in 1975 destroyed a lot of young fans in Dundee/Angus/Tayside and turned them over from being Dee's into Dabs, the devil was truly at work through 75 into the 80s stopping our fan base growing.

I think that every Scottish  team's crowds, outwith the twins and maybe Hearts are dropping. With regard to us, I don't think that out ST prices help, or our method of allocating tickets,  Late deciders are discouraged.  Then there are  the Firestick apps. Look at today. Half of our season ticket holders didn't bother.

7 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

I think that every Scottish  team's crowds, outwith the twins and maybe Hearts are dropping. With regard to us, I don't think that out ST prices help, or our method of allocating tickets,  Late deciders are discouraged.  Then there are  the Firestick apps. Look at today. Half of our season ticket holders didn't bother.

I'd say the opposite mate, I think that crowds are increasing or at the very least staying pretty stable. There were some alright attendances yesterday for Premiership clubs against lower league, low supporting opposition compared to the season I highlighted in the op when we were facing Premiership opposition. I don't think we'll see £4k+ against Aberdeen at Dens this season for example.

20 minutes ago, charliedee said:

if memory serves me correctly i think the very next home game after we bottled the coca-cola cup final v aberdeen we had an attendance of about 1800 for a midweek game v montrose.

We didn't play Montrose that season. Clydebank (1403) at Dens 3 games before the end of the season was our lowest attendance. We beat St Mirren 3-1 at Dens (3555) after losing in the final.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We didn't play Montrose that season. Clydebank (1403) at Dens 3 games before the end of the season was our lowest attendance. We beat St Mirren 3-1 at Dens (3555) after losing in the final.

We played St Mirren away after losing in the final to the sheep L.  Our first home game after the final was against Dumbarton, a 1-1 draw in front of 2,804, midweek game.

8 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

We played St Mirren away after losing in the final to the sheep L.  Our first home game after the final was against Dumbarton, a 1-1 draw in front of 2,804, midweek game.

I originally had 2-1 away, doubted myself, then after checking looked at the game at home in 0ctober which ended in a 2-1 home win and a 3555 crowd.

12 hours ago, thegen65 said:

Mind that Dumbarton gemme. Chic Charnley wound up the Derry no end after a late equaliser. Then we signed him a few weeks later.

Adblock Detected