The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
BCram

Live Streaming of Games

Rate this topic

was raised on the other forum by Gedee in 2013. It seemed like a possible revenue stream and I wonder if someone could give an accurate update on the performance, as a user, and the financial results from the club's point of view?

Only club would know that mate. None of us would know income from it.

Well Sensible might....

was raised on the other forum by Gedee in 2013. It seemed like a possible revenue stream and I wonder if someone could give an accurate update on the performance, as a user, and the financial results from the club's point of view

You must have a good memory BCram, or you did your research well. (Even I didnae realise itwas as long ago as that)

You must have a good memory BCram, or you did your research well. (Even I didnae realise it was as long ago as that) Initially of course, at that time, it was DFCSS who launched it.

And although I had nothing at all to do with the planning of it, I do remember sending enthusiastic emails, on a regular basis, to those who were trying to bring it to the launch stage.  I did kinda keep in touch with those who did, and who finally with their effort and energy, did get it off the ground.

After a few months (and I can't rememember if I asked about the number of subscribers) I do recall hearing/reading, of the number involved. And to be honest I was shocked to hear it weas so low. I really believed the demand for the service would be very high for those who wanted to see live games of DFC, but were unable to, for whatever reason, able to attend live games.

I thought the main market would be outwith the UK of course (US certainly with the BOD links) but also ex-pats in other countries, and of course UK (if pos)

So although I do not have any up to date figures, I do not think they are as high as they could be .....Maybe lack of demand or badly publicised or marketed.

Only club would know that mate. None of us would know income from it.

Well Sensible might....

If he does he won't say how much it is but he'll suggest it's a massive income stream.

• Like 1

If he does he won't say how much it is but he'll suggest it's a massive income stream.

And he just knows, so don't ask why. He just does.

As a regular user of the service as I live in the States I can say it is a godsend for me. I live in the west coast so I need to get up early, please no more 12:30 kick-offs!! The coverage is spotty and it freezes a lot, I am guessing there was not a huge investment in equipment, but there are at least a couple of guys working hard to bring it to people like me, lifelong Dundee supporter. The commentary is now gone, miss Tommy's knowledge and insight into the club. The price is too low, when DFCTV ran it it was 10 pounds, they could go back to that level and I don't think it would reduce the numbers watching. With overseas interest in the club in Asia and the U.S. I think we should be getting in the hundreds but I believe we only get 10-20 people watching, probably as many through hidden IPs watching in the Uk. Scottish football markets itself horribly, and that could be a reason for low numbers. Fox still shows SPFL games on the soccer channel subscription, so I am guessing their is some audience here at least. All I can say is please let it continue😄

And he just knows, so don't ask why. He just does.

Would never question him.

As a regular user of the service as I live in the States I can say it is a godsend for me. I live in the west coast so I need to get up early, please no more 12:30 kick-offs!! The coverage is spotty and it freezes a lot, I am guessing there was not a huge investment in equipment, but there are at least a couple of guys working hard to bring it to people like me, lifelong Dundee supporter. The commentary is now gone, miss Tommy's knowledge and insight into the club. The price is too low, when DFCTV ran it it was 10 pounds, they could go back to that level and I don't think it would reduce the numbers watching. With overseas interest in the club in Asia and the U.S. I think we should be getting in the hundreds but I believe we only get 10-20 people watching, probably as many through hidden IPs watching in the Uk. Scottish football markets itself horribly, and that could be a reason for low numbers. Fox still shows SPFL games on the soccer channel subscription, so I am guessing their is some audience here at least. All I can say is please let it continue

Thanks GordonDee. That's exactly what I was hoping for. There's been chat on here about getting an income stream to help the club. When Gedee was discussing this it was run by DFCSS and there was a bit of transparency about the income. The club took it back and since then it seemed to have dropped off our radar.

hearts have 8000 supporters paying £10 per month as a straightforward payment to help them get out of administration. I just wondered what might be happening with DFCTV.

The TV broadcasting rights seem to lowly valued and I wondered if the people who do the deals with the TV companies might be able to get some form of broadcasting rights for all the clubs in Scotland.

Perhaps the BOD might like to comment on their official website to give us some facts.

As a regular user of the service as I live in the States I can say it is a godsend for me. I live in the west coast so I need to get up early, please no more 12:30 kick-offs!! The coverage is spotty and it freezes a lot, I am guessing there was not a huge investment in equipment, but there are at least a couple of guys working hard to bring it to people like me, lifelong Dundee supporter. The commentary is now gone, miss Tommy's knowledge and insight into the club. The price is too low, when DFCTV ran it it was 10 pounds, they could go back to that level and I don't think it would reduce the numbers watching. With overseas interest in the club in Asia and the U.S. I think we should be getting in the hundreds but I believe we only get 10-20 people watching, probably as many through hidden IPs watching in the Uk. Scottish football markets itself horribly, and that could be a reason for low numbers. Fox still shows SPFL games on the soccer channel subscription, so I am guessing their is some audience here at least. All I can say is please let it continue

GOOD INFORMATIVE POST GORDON ....... AND IT IS ESPECIALLY GOOD TO GET A VIEW FROM SOMEONE LIKE YOURSELF WHO IS SOURCING THE SERVICE FROM OUTSIDE THE UK.

Like yourself I think £10 would be a reasonable amount for a service of this kind. And I do not think anyone, who could not see games live, would object too much to paying this.

But to be honest, there appears to me, to be real room for improvement.  And if the figures you gave out regarding the number of subscribers are around that number (and I believe they may well be correct, based on the numbers I was given ages ago) then it might be others agree. In fairness to those involved, I am sure they work hard to get it right.

But from the early broadcasts from DFCSS, which to be honest were of a generally higher standard, the overall quality (imo) has gone down.

Whereas, I would have thought as the service as it went on, would keep further improving with each game broadcasted.........I am not sure this is the case.

And if they want more subscribers (revenue) then the service will have to improve.I am still of the opinion this service could be a reall money earner for the Club

No one is going to regularly subscribe to a service that has, no commentary, not even a guarantee of being on, and then intermittent start/stop/ freeze streaming.

Maybe a lot more work from someone has to go into improving the service and thereafter, selling it around the world. More revenue and publicity fot DFC, Our Club.

Thanks GordonDee. That's exactly what I was hoping for. There's been chat on here about getting an income stream to help the club. When Gedee was discussing this it was run by DFCSS and there was a bit of transparency about the income. The club took it back and since then it seemed to have dropped off our radar.

hearts have 8000 supporters paying £10 per month as a straightforward payment to help them get out of administration. I just wondered what might be happening with DFCTV.

The TV broadcasting rights seem to lowly valued and I wondered if the people who do the deals with the TV companies might be able to get some form of broadcasting rights for all the clubs in Scotland.

Perhaps the BOD might like to comment on their official website to give us some facts.

Just read your post BCram  ...... Another constructive post .......And surely others will comment positively on this suggestion/idea.

The close season can be frustrating time both on and off the forum. But it might also be the time for all of to get our heads together to think of ideas as above.

This DFCTV subscription service I do believe tho' still needs a great deal of work.

But done professionally, I cannot believe there is NOT a great big market out there.

WELL THERE IS !!!   THE WORLD IS A BIG PLACE !!      Start with the US Mr. Nelms. 

There must be other ideas out there that can bring in a regular income to our club. But on the DFCTV come on BOD .....inroads into the US Market now please.

I remember someone from DFCTV posted the number of streams. I don't recall what the number was but it wasn't significant enough to be considered a proper revenue stream. Hopefully the club persists with it though. 

As said above, the quality is not good and £5 is reasonable for something where you might only get 45 minutes, no audio, not a terribly good picture and occasional green blotches covering half the screen.

For some reason the highlights which I presume is taken by the same camera has excellent quality. I take it it must be a streaming/broadband issue? If the picture quality of the streaming was similar to the highlights I think £10 would be justified and more people may buy into the service. I know people who used to watch the streaming and they have given up to watch text updates or listen to open all mics instead.

I'll continue in the meantime to pay a fiver, as at the end of the day it's money to the club whether the streaming works or not.

My DFC mate in Florida says service is crap, unreliable and is p*ssed off he gets nothing for his money sometimes...he is not wanting refunds.  Just a reliable service. I am just the messenger here.

One thing that needs improved at Dens for all TV presentations is a higher camera position - it is far too low IMO and would be worth building a deck on top of/over the SE if poss.

I watched the first Aberdeen league game at Dens when I was in Florida last October.  First time I had watched the stream and was surprised at the quality.  OK, it was a bit like Montfords Mad Movies from yesteryear but there were no interruptions etc.  £5 or £10 or whatever it was well spent apart from the result.

I remember someone from DFCTV posted the number of streams. I don't recall what the number was but it wasn't significant enough to be considered a proper revenue stream. Hopefully the club persists with it though. 

Cobra .......that may well be where I saw the numbers using the streaming service.  Do you think these low numbers are simply because of lack or demand ?

Or, as is more likely, the quality of the service, and poor marketing (All of course imo) DFCTV could/should (again imo) be a regular source of revenue for DFC.