Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

McPake, Dundee hampered Wighton's Career

TheDarkBlues

I know that this video is 5 months old, but I just found and watched it.

McPake claims that the club hampered his career by putting him on a pedestal. Interesting to see that he tried to bring Wighton back to Dundee, but it never worked out.

I have to agree with him in a lot of ways, a lot of pressure was put on Wighton, a lot of managers and coaches bigged him up big time, and this and his injury may have affected him.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
4 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

McPake claims that the club hampered his career by putting him on a pedestal. Interesting to see that he tried to bring Wighton back to Dundee, but it never worked out.

I have to agree with him in a lot of ways, a lot of pressure was put on Wighton, a lot of managers and coaches bigged him up big time, and this and his injury may have affected him.

A bit of hypocrisy from mcpake on this https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2747789/dundee-james-mcpake-craig-wighton-leigh-griffiths-robert-snodgrass/amp/

6 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I know that Dundee held him back in the early days (and possibly before McPake's arrival at the club) against the wishes of the SFA who were pushing us to play him (one coach in particular) but they didn't have a firm grasp of their own rules as he was actually too young at only 15 years of age. There was also a lot of media hype and talk from our players which didn't help either. When McPake's blaming the club I think he's being a bit harsh as he was protected as much as possible given the hype and also outside interest. 

I think Wighton never fulfilled his perceived potential but IMO the hype was way in excess of his actual ability.  A good player and game changer on his day but that day seemed to be 1 in every 10 games or so. He was never consistent at any period of his career - either before or after his injury.

Having said that, don't think anyone at the game will ever forget the Doon Derby winner. 

2 hours ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

Has lost 2 of his last 42 league games as a manager and 2 promotions on his CV before the age of 40. 

Would suggest he knows a little more than some of our fans like to give him credit for. 

Promoted with Dundee by the skin of his teeth thanks to one particular player and coming up against a very poor Kilmarnock side in a play off. Promoted with Dunfermline, already the biggest club in the division and massive favourites, who were backed by significant German cash from division one to the championship.

You're right he knows more than most of our fans but those stats could have been achieved by pretty much any manager at his level - and his level isn't that high. A poor to average manager IMO.

1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

Promoted with Dundee by the skin of his teeth thanks to one particular player and coming up against a very poor Kilmarnock side in a play off. Promoted with Dunfermline, already the biggest club in the division and massive favourites, who were backed by significant German cash from division one to the championship.

You're right he knows more than most of our fans but those stats could have been achieved by pretty much any manager at his level - and his level isn't that high. A poor to average manager IMO.

To be fair to McPake there have been loads of managers with better resource who've failed to turn their resource into anything tangible. 2 promotions (with 1 from the unforgiving championship) are pretty good by anyone's standards never mind a rookie/diddy/misfit (delete as applicable) manager like McPake.

Credit where credit's due imo.

Adblock Detected