Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Things you never see any more.

TheDarkBlues

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
13 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Things you never see any more, and would you like to see them come back?

Chips cooked in a fryer in lard!

F6olSgzW8AAoN8J.jpg

what else did you grow up with that we don't have any more?

Does anyone (Chippie or at Home) ever use fat/lard now?   It certainly added to taste/flavour/steamy smell :happyyes:

And when finished ye got the extra treat o' trying to read (& lick)  Auld Newspaper they were wrapped up in:chaplin:

Anyway in my Next Post, I'm gonna move awa (temporarily) fae the food aspect o' this Topic.(Guid Topic John)

As mentioned in my post above, I' m slightly moving on here....

Your topic above pops up on the forum on a semi-regular basis...And to my way of thinking, it's a' the better for that.

In very early days of the forum, the same question was asked & to add a wee bit humour to it, I asked the following?

"Why do you never see Dogs (WHITE )Tolies on the Road and Pavies now? "

Some responses as I remember were really funny...Then it got all serious :chin:

This may no have been Isla's response. But someone took a more Scientific

Approach, by going into detail that Dogs were no longer eating  Real Marrow

Bones anymore. And their waste contents (keech) no longer had Calcium :wub:

These are kind of topics I usually steam into. Holdin back on Match Day:chaplin:

Above, maybe wisnae Isla's response. But he did admit he had no humour ;)

Jist tae show, dwelling on, the Auld Days o' Doag's Unique White sh*te, disnae pIt me aff Meh Food ;)

Oh how eh miss the days o' Wallaces Real Pehs & Ingin Bridies Tasty  grease running doon  yir chins :happyyes:

Then there wis Buster Stand (For Open Air Dining) Chips & Peas cooked & eaten ootside on a Bench :wub:

I'm needin' someone, to add a "Photie o' The Buster Stand" A memory/experience never forgotten:chaplin:

Just beside 2nd Hand Market Sold...NHS Specks, Dentures, Door Keys, Granny's (Used) Bloomers. :excited:

(The Overgate and Westport wis where its seemed to me, everything happened, weekdays & weekends)

"Hooses & Kitchens"...That are unfettered by " a' Thon Daft Ultra-Modern Gadgets" ...That are now introduced to everyone, on a daily ongoing basis, that promise to make your life easier...Saving the household, time & effort.  Also, maybe the loss of the wide range of Corner Shops (Butcher, Baker etc) to Today's Supermarkets which, maybe do save time. But are no quite a' they're led up to be....

The number/range o' Dundee Picture Hooses (Cinemas) that made  a night at the pictures, quite an event...

And it's strange naebody seemed  to bother whit time they went in, to see film. Even when it wis at the closing stages.

As bairns, it didnae put us up or doon...We jist settled doon comfy until it come roond again again..:lol2:

Whit aboot noo Multi TV Channels we get now Personally preferred, the simplicity & choice o' twa :wub:

Accept choice & competition in most cases, can be good But sometimes better...To Keep it Simple :happyyes:

Gas Mantles, Parafin Heaters, Coal Fires (No electricity) no hot water, washing machines, inside toilets,

Wireless that worked fae something like Heavy Car Battery (eh got job o' takin' doon to shop fill up) :tears:

Ootside Lavvies wi lockless widden drafty doors. Newspapers tae wipe yir erse wi' (Still do mind):chaplin:

On 24/09/2023 at 10:20, gedee said:

Jist tae show, dwelling on, the Auld Days o' Doag's Unique White sh*te, disnae pIt me aff Meh Food ;)

Oh how eh miss the days o' Wallaces Real Pehs & Ingin Bridies Tasty  grease running doon  yir chins :happyyes:

Then there wis Buster Stand (For Open Air Dining) Chips & Peas cooked & eaten ootside on a Bench :wub:

I'm needin' someone, to add a "Photie o' The Buster Stand" A memory/experience never forgotten:chaplin:

Just beside 2nd Hand Market Sold...NHS Specks, Dentures, Door Keys, Granny's (Used) Bloomers. :excited:

(The Overgate and Westport wis where its seemed to me, everything happened, weekdays & weekends)

Pea busters out of Dens Road market

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/09/2023 at 11:42, gedee said:

Does anyone (Chippie or at Home) ever use fat/lard now?   It certainly added to taste/flavour/steamy smell :happyyes:

And when finished ye got the extra treat o' trying to read (& lick)  Auld Newspaper they were wrapped up in:chaplin:

Anyway in my Next Post, I'm gonna move awa (temporarily) fae the food aspect o' this Topic.(Guid Topic John)

The chippy in Monifieth used beef dripping, which he bought in from Germany, until he sold the shop a few years ago. No idea what they use now though.

14 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The chippy in Monifieth used beef dripping, which he bought in from Germany, until he sold the shop a few years ago. No idea what they use now though.

The earliest and most vivid memories (pre-teens) wis the "ratiion times"  I was born 1942.

Certainy remember Butcher Shop in wellgate selling Horse Meat...Tender & it tasted good.

& the Chip Shop  on the Hawkhill, at tap' Balfour Street takin' deliveries of (horse) dripping.

Jist on the passing there must have been aboot 10 picter hooses 10 minutes fae my hoose

Princess, Regal, State,  Forest Park, Grays.There wis lots mair than that  mind in Dundee:chaplin:

But as the Mannie said.."The Times They are A-changing"

Plenty Churches as well. So nae excuse to miss Mass :wub:

Depending maybe on just how auld ye are (And if your memory is good enough) And you can look far enough back, and bring back details & bigger events in life, with a realisation, just how much has changed. Mostly, I'd like to think, in the name of progress. good part of it has been for the better. But I still have that feeling, there was a certain pace & simplicity to life, that made life easier to deal with, ...Withoot a' the complexities, choice, & decision-making that this modern times seem to bring :chin:

Fish & Chips wi' Sat & Vinegar, wrapped up in Newspaper &  Fine Greasy Pehs & Ingin' Bridies brought Great Joy:chaplin:

Adblock Detected