The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
eyeothedug

Players Still Required...

Rate this topic

I am really impressed by the signings made so far by Paul Hartley and team. All out of contract, quality young Scottish players apart from the central defender from East Fife. Great to see the defence being strengthened too and that we should see an attacking threat coming from left back as well as right.

I know PH has said that he wants to sign one more player.

I feel we need three more to have the perfect squad. I know we are not sure yet if McGinn and JMac are staying or not but I feel we  need one more central mid in the mould of Kevin Thomson. I don't think Ferry is good enough to cover there and we only have Low and Thomson (if JMac leaves). I think MacGowan should be used further up in the three behind the striker. Colqhoun could perhaps deputise here.

In addition to this we still need a decent wide man with pace and a final ball. Roberts and Boyle don't fit the bill here and am sure Harris is off back to Hibs. I doubt we will play with a wide man all the time but it's worth having this option tactically.

The final player we need is another out and out finisher. We only have Hemmings for this role but what happens if he's injured? As I've said in another thread it's a pity there isn't a youth player who is ready to step up here apart from Wighton (more of a no 10).

We'll probably cover one of those roles but it would be amazing to get all three.

Think we need a wide player with true pace. Don't think Stewart is an out an out winger that I think we need.

Harris has been released by hibs unless there's another one

I think our squad looks solid enough at the moment, but we do lack options out wide, which will limit how flexible we can be and limit how we can react to certain situations.  If we bring in a decent winger I'll be happy, but I am also concerned about whether we have a like for like quality replacement for Thomson, hopefully Colquhoun can step up, but I wouldn't expect him to be ready after only a handful of appearances.  I think maybe Loy would move into Hemmings' role if needs be.

Harris has been released by hibs unless there's another one

I'm almost certain Hibs won't have released him. Stubbs was in the paper not that long ago saying the player was definitely going to be at Hibs next season.

I read somewhere that Harris, handling and stanton aren't wanted at hibs but are under contract. Pretty please don't sign Harris Mr Hartley.

Handling and Stanton are free to leave but as Cobra said, Harris has been told he's back with Hibs next season.

I think our squad looks solid enough at the moment, but we do lack options out wide, which will limit how flexible we can be and limit how we can react to certain situations. If we bring in a decent winger I'll be happy, but I am also concerned about whether we have a like for like quality replacement for Thomson, hopefully Colquhoun can step up, but I wouldn't expect him to be ready after only a handful of appearances. I think maybe Loy would move into Hemmings' role if needs be.

Agree re Colquhoun. I don't think we do have the Thomson replacement sorted as yet, so am hoping PH has that in mind.

Ok, I guess both Loy and Stewart could play the lone striker but aren't out and out finishers. It's a hard position to fill that one (good out and out finishers are scarce and expensive),so it's great to have Hemmings as it is.

Wide men with pace and a final ball also seem to be scarce! I thought Harris was ok, early on in his Dens career but obviously didn't want to stay at Dundee.

Agree re Colquhoun. I don't think we do have the Thomson replacement sorted as yet, so am hoping PH has that in mind.

Ok, I guess both Loy and Stewart could play the lone striker but aren't out and out finishers. It's a hard position to fill that one (good out and out finishers are scarce and expensive),so it's great to have Hemmings as it is.

Wide men with pace and a final ball also seem to be scarce! I thought Harris was ok, early on in his Dens career but obviously didn't want to stay at Dundee.

I think Harris thought he was too good for Dundee. Get that feeling. Not being unfair on him. Just do.

I think our squad is as good as finished and I'm happy with what we've done. The only thing we're missing is a pacey or skillful winger. It's a bit dissapointing that even after some of the dissapointing performances with the narrow formation and the lack of a plan B that Hartley still doesn't seem to be too concerned about bringing in a wide midfielder. Maybe he's hoping to use wingbacks all season? I'd be happy if we bring in a good player to play out wide, not Boyle, Roberts or Harris.

All that in mind this is still the most optimistic I've been about a Dundee team for a while and even though it's early yet I think Hartley's the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

I think Harris thought he was too good for Dundee. Get that feeling. Not being unfair on him. Just do.

I know it's been well covered and almost everyone agrees but I think Roberts is more like that, I'd be happy if he was gone and I'm assuming he would be if he wasn't contracted for another year. I thought Harris showed some decent touches and looked threatening in brief periods in the first couple of games but since then he's showed absolutely nothing and like Boyle I don't think he'll come good. I think he lacks confidence and more importantly he doesn't have the ability or anything to suggest he'll be good enough in the future.  I feel sorry for guys that put in the effort but don't quite get there, like Boyle, Harris and Dyer.

I know it's been well covered and almost everyone agrees but I think Roberts is more like that, I'd be happy if he was gone and I'm assuming he would be if he wasn't contracted for another year. I thought Harris showed some decent touches and looked threatening in brief periods in the first couple of games but since then he's showed absolutely nothing and like Boyle I don't think he'll come good. I think he lacks confidence and more importantly he doesn't have the ability or anything to suggest he'll be good enough in the future. I feel sorry for guys that put in the effort but don't quite get there, like Boyle, Harris and Dyer.

Some boys have skill. Some have ability... Very few have both.

I think budgets in this league mean very few teams have two 'finisher' strikers.  To my mind only Celtic and Aberdeen do and one of Aberdeen's is deeply tainted so they're welcome to him.  I think we've probably done our business up front.

I agree with deehound that our business up top is finished for this year and I'm more than happy with the options we have there.

Beginning to sound like an echo but we need width!! We are also short in cm due to Thomson and gerrys injury records.

Wide man and a holding midfielder please sir Paul and I will be really happy!!

Our width will be determined by whether or not Boyle signs on. Roberts will be getting a second chance whether we like it or not so he's one option that provides width, and the other will either be Boyle/another.