Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Jim Mac

Reverend Lovejoy, on 10 Jun 2015 - 2:14 PM, said:

Ludo what you're saying to Cobra re "conjecture" kinda sums up your posts on Jim Mac.You both,as far as I can see,have different opinions but that's all they are,opinions.Nobody knows if Jim is pussyfooting around or if we'll miss out on potential targets,thats just guesswork.

Jim has never hidden the fact that he's Rangers daft but that's never stopped him giving 100%.If he's waiting on an offer coming in from the team he's supported all his days then so be it,you cannae begrudge him that opportunity.The seasons a good while away yet anyway so loads of time to replace 1 player if need be.

And I clarified that fact Rev. I stated that I was basing my opinion on IF the newspaper reports are true, and at this time of the season that is a big if. No, we can't begrudge him that sort of opportunity, but that doesn't mean we need to wait either and I disagree on the matter of 'loads of time to replace 1 player'. Hartley has repeatedly said he wants his squad fully settled in time for the pre-season camp in Hungary/the boys coming back in for pre-season training ie, July 1st. If McAlister, as newspapers are reporting, stalls on this deal before rejecting us, then that leaves us with little over 2 weeks to bring a suitable player in. In the time that McAlister has been offered his deal a few of our potential targets may have already been snapped up.

Hartley has indicated that getting the squad tied up early is of paramount importance to him and our squad, a player hindering that by waiting to see if there's an opportunity to leave us leaves us with only one option in my opinion!

But as I've said, this is purely based on if the newspapers are correct and that's a big if and usually doesn't tell the full story!

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

And I clarified that fact Rev. I stated that I was basing my opinion on IF the newspaper reports are true, and at this time of the season that is a big if. No, we can't begrudge him that sort of opportunity, but that doesn't mean we need to wait either and I disagree on the matter of 'loads of time to replace 1 player'. Hartley has repeatedly said he wants his squad fully settled in time for the pre-season camp in Hungary/the boys coming back in for pre-season training ie, July 1st. If McAlister, as newspapers are reporting, stalls on this deal before rejecting us, then that leaves us with little over 2 weeks to bring a suitable player in. In the time that McAlister has been offered his deal a few of our potential targets may have already been snapped up.

Hartley has indicated that getting the squad tied up early is of paramount importance to him and our squad, a player hindering that by waiting to see if there's an opportunity to leave us leaves us with only one option in my opinion!

But as I've said, this is purely based on if the newspapers are correct and that's a big if and usually doesn't tell the full story!

Nae bather. :unsure:

Not fair on boys saying he is holding out on signing.

Why did we hold out on offering him a contract. Not fair on him.

He has helped get us where we are this season. A small cog in the DFC machine. My view is that boys like Thomson and McPake are bigger cogs but without the Jim's and Irvine's the big ones don't turn as effectively.

• Like 1

I still don't think we need him. He's a dependable, rarely injured player. The idea that we would have missed out on the top 6 without him is purely conjecture from yourself.

You're correct that he's not critical to our style of play but he is handy to step in when others are not available, that being said, there absolutely is a rush for him to sign if we are to have our squad completed for the start of July. If he drags this on for another week before saying no, who knows how many potential targets we may have missed out on?

Suggestions are he is holding out for something better and if you note in my original post, I clearly said that if these circumstances were true then I would remove the deal off the table. Granted, we don't have any idea, but if it was the case as I pointed out in my original post then the deal should absolutely be removed.

Finally, you can say it's an important age for a player to get their move right all through their career. It's important for a promising 19 year old to sign the correct deal or face fading away, it's important for a 25 year old to sign the right deal so they can play the very best football they can. It's important for a 29 year old to sign a decent deal to secure himself and it's important for a 34 year old to get that last good deal before he has to decide what he's doing after football. Football is an insecure business, and if he's choosing to pussyfoot around with us then he can do one as he is certainly not irreplaceable in my view.

All this being said, I'd love for McAlister to sign on again. He's a good guy to have in the squad, but time is ticking.

We made top six by the smallest of margins. Jim played more minutes than any other player. Whatever you think of his performances he made himself available week in week out while the rest of our midfield were dropping like flies. Clearly the squad would have been severely stretched leading to dropped points and therefore finished bottom six had Hartley not been able to call on McAlister every week.

I think players generally consider the last contract before they hit 30 as particularly significant. They are usually approaching the tailend of their career at this age. If Jim can double or treble his wages and get guaranteed first-team football at Ibrox he'd be daft not to wait to see what happens especially considering Dundee were hardly in a hurry to get him signed up.

You say we don't need him but we certainly needed him last season. I'd be a wee bit nervous going into the new season without our most dependable, fittest and level-headed midfielder. 

We should also bare in mind that mcallister holding out for rangers has only been stated in the papers during silly season! There's a very good chance Jim is doing the exact same as Hartley right now, sunning himself abroad after a successful season.

Good chance the offer is on the table and will be signed once he's back!

We should also bare in mind that mcallister holding out for rangers has only been stated in the papers during silly season! There's a very good chance Jim is doing the exact same as Hartley right now, sunning himself abroad after a successful season.

Jim is not away on holiday. His Instagram has a picture of him back working on the family farm. He certainly is a hard working man!

I would hold out a bit more for him as even if not a week in week out starter he is a very good man to have in your squad as he always give 100% no matter what position he is asked to play.

He might be waiting for Paul to come back to sign.

we keep getting beaten with him in the team

.....erm and we won a lot with him in the team as well.

That Caniggia must have been murder as well. We got beat when he was playing too....

(and no, I'm not comparing them, I'm showing the extremes of the point initially made.)

Adblock Detected