The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Penalties Conceded

Rate this topic

Curious fact from last season....

Penalties Dundee conceded in 4 league derbies =3

Penalties Celtic conceded in 38 league games =0

Do folk think Celtic get preferential treatment from officials or are they just very good at defending?

You have to get into the opposition's  box to have a penalty awarded, United did that with ease against us last season but it's definitely a tougher task against Celtic.

Obviously helps if you have diving cheats like United have (and had) and if referees give hand balls for no apparent reason.

Referees clearly give Celtic preferential treatment; not many other clubs' fans threaten them with death for awarding something against their team.

I think it's a bit of both RE Celtic.  They do get preferential treatment for one reason or another, but better teams are also usually better at forcing errors from their opposition or preventing them from getting into positions to force errors themselves.  

United have a basic game plan of getting the ball up the park as quick as possible and then trying to win a set piece of some description, be it a penalty, freekick or corner.  This has been how they've played for as long as I can remember and they are good at it.  They have always been dangerous from these situations and they play to their strengths.  It's not a style for the purist, but they have reaped the rewards of it over my lifetime.