Jump to content

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Greg Stewart Forced His Deal to Birmingham


Ludo*1

Recommended Posts

Interesting article in The Courier about the time where we had the rug pulled from under us and have only have really recovered this season a full 6-7 year afterwards.

Obviously with the Hemmings clause leading to Hemmings leaving, Greg Stewart states that John Nelms rejected 5 or 6 bids that summer for Stewart. Hartley wasn't willing to stand in his way and Stewart then flat out refused to play for us in the first game of the season citing he was worried he'd pick up an injury and it'd scupper any potential move. He was then training on his own. Hartley advised him to go direct to Nelms and say he wanted to leave and that's what led to him being sold.

The only reason I link this is not to have a go at Stewart, the power is in the players hands these days and whilst I don't respect what he did by refusing to play, I certainly don't hold ill will over it. The reason I mention it is because it's something I've long held against Nelms for allowing Stewart and Hemmings to go so soon before the season started and it's something that crippled us for years afterwards. Yet reading Stewart's version of events, it once again sounds like Nelms was put in a position where there wasn't much he could do other than try to get the most money he could for Stewart and again was initially trying to look at what was best for the club by trying to keep Stewart until Stewart forced the issue.

Full article here:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/4779202/dundee-fc-greg-stewart-reveals-pay-cut-cowdenbeath/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Interesting reading that. He took a pay cut to join us, he was so unfit that he couldn’t train after his first day with us and sounds like he enjoyed and appreciated his time with us more than perhaps we have given him credit for in the past since he left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GordonDee said:

The headline was wrong, he didn’t take a pay cut to move to us from Cowdenbeath, he took a pay cut giving up a full-time job. We gave him a platform and he performed and it worked out ok for him. 

 

4 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Headline is ridiculously misleading. 

He kind of did take a pay cut though, he could have continued to play for Cowdenbeath and do his regular job and earn more than he'd be earning at Dundee where he couldn't continue in his full-time job.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HK Blues said:

 

He kind of did take a pay cut though, he could have continued to play for Cowdenbeath and do his regular job and earn more than he'd be earning at Dundee where he couldn't continue in his full-time job.  

There have been one or two over the years who've made more money working full-time and playing part-time so fair play to Greg for taking the gamble. The striker (can't remember his name) who was a self employed plumber is a recent example.

The gamble worked out well for Greg, I don't think he had a trade to fall back on either. He had been at Rangers and Hearts as a youngster though so there was obviously a bit of talent. Fitness rather than ability seemed to be his issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

There have been one or two over the years who've made more money working full-time and playing part-time so fair play to Greg for taking the gamble. The striker (can't remember his name) who was a self employed plumber is a recent example.

The gamble worked out well for Greg, I don't think he had a trade to fall back on either. He had been at Rangers and Hearts as a youngster though so there was obviously a bit of talent. Fitness rather than ability seemed to be his issue.

Rory McAllister is the striker you're thinking of, Rev

Wasn't it a similar situation with us and Simon Murray when he was at Arbroath? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

Rory McAllister is the striker you're thinking of, Rev

Wasn't it a similar situation with us and Simon Murray when he was at Arbroath? 

That's the one I was trying to think of - Simon Murray.

Isn't it also the case with Dick Campbell and his sideline business?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...