The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

What Weekend Newspapers Are Posters Buying These Days ?

Rate this topic

I have basically stopped buying daily newspapers these days.

There was a time when, as well as buying daily papers, I also bought, a load o' weekend papers. No' now. Just about give up on them.

At the weekend  I regularly bought the Sunday Herald and Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday. Sometimes as well, the popular/local papers.

This weekend I bought Herald and Scotsman (Bit Disappointed)  Does anyone here buy Times, Telegrapph, Guardian at the weekend ?

Maybe I am now at the stage I cannae be bothered wi' any o' them.  Dinnae even read that many books now.   (close season of course)

The one newspaper I really hate is the Daily Mail.    So what do I buy on Sat ?      You guessed it ...... The Daily Mail !!    And the Local P&J.

I buy the Daily Mail on Sat, only for two reasons.Crossword for Margaret.  And their Comprehenensive Weekly TV Magazine Supplement.

Their ither stuff, I dinnae, "jist dislike" I absolutely hate, their twisted, biased, sh**e !!   So, on that basis, whit's awebody else reading :)

I don't buy any newspapers apart from the weekly published Racing and Football Outlook. Mrs Deemo sometimes buys the I.

I read the papers in the pub though. At the weekend I read the sport in the Mirror as it covers English fitba. I don't read the rest of it. I used to read the Sun for the Scottish fitba and used to flick through it. I don't even pick it up now after they changed to the dark side in the election.

The only paper now read from cover to cover is the Mail on Sunday. Quality coverage of fitba well written, quality articles. In fact I would buy it if I didn't go to the pub on a Sunday.

is-print-dead.jpg

Seeing that Gnasher, jist minded me o the wee newspap[er kiosk there wis on the main road, fae lochee tae the toon (polepark area. Nae far fae the auld rep)

It stood jist on it's own. And mair memories. On Sat you could also buy a wee professionally sealed  envelope, (for aboot the price o' an auld sixpence)

That wis supposed to contain the "Saturday Double"      (which wis twa class dark horse tips) ..........  lined up especially, for the Saturday's Racing.

Half the time they were non-runners.  But even if they were not ..I certainly cannae mind o' any o' them winning !!       Anybody else mind that kiosk ?

I used to read the Sun for the Scottish fitba and used to flick through it. I don't even pick it up now after they changed to the dark side in the election.

???

The Sun didn't come out for the Tories...?

OT - I'm not one for newspapers at all anymore.

Easier, faster and more verifiable info online nowadays.

I don't buy any newspapers apart from the weekly published Racing and Football Outlook. Mrs Deemo sometimes buys the I.

I read the papers in the pub though. At the weekend I read the sport in the Mirror as it covers English fitba. I don't read the rest of it. I used to read the Sun for the Scottish fitba and used to flick through it. I don't even pick it up now after they changed to the dark side in the election.

The only paper now read from cover to cover is the Mail on Sunday. Quality coverage of fitba well written, quality articles. In fact I would buy it if I didn't go to the pub on a Sunday.

I think DeeMo, that's generally the way things are going ............Newspaper sales are dropping all the time.

Possibly we are reaching saturation point here, with news coming at us from every direction on the media.

When I was really into horse racing I bought I think ALL the racing papers and Tmeform/ Chaseform Annuals.

With us having diverse political views, not surprisingly .......  our choice of newspapers will reflect this DeeMo.

???

The Sun didn't come out for the Tories...?

No it didn't, it came out in support of the dark side :)

I think DeeMo, that's generally the way things are going ............Newspaper sales are dropping all the time.

Possibly we are reaching saturation point here, with news coming at us from every direction on the media.

When I was really into horse racing I bought I think ALL the racing papers and Tmeform/ Chaseform Annuals.

With us having diverse political views, not surprisingly .......  our choice of newspapers will reflect this DeeMo.

I think you are right Gedee, we are reaching saturation point. I still enjoy an hour read of the Mail in the pub after work with a couple of pints. I also enjoy a bet so buy my weekly betting paper. There is something I prefer reading the news in print to on the internet though. It's like Mrs Deemo loves reading books but doesn't like reading on a kindle

No it didn't, it came out in support of the dark side :)

Tories in England and SNP in Scotland. It's all about selling papers

Tories in England and SNP in Scotland. It's all about selling papers

It is and they are good at it. Didn't really like the Sun, their football coverage was okay but when they turned to the dark side that was that for me.

Seeing that Gnasher, jist minded me o the wee newspap[er kiosk there wis on the main road, fae lochee tae the toon (polepark area. Nae far fae the auld rep)

It stood jist on it's own. And mair memories. On Sat you could also buy a wee professionally sealed envelope, (for aboot the price o' an auld sixpence)

That wis supposed to contain the "Saturday Double" (which wis twa class dark horse tips) .......... lined up especially, for the Saturday's Racing.

Half the time they were non-runners. But even if they were not ..I certainly cannae mind o' any o' them winning !! Anybody else mind that kiosk ?

I still have a wee sigh when I see the kiosk at the junction o gilburn rd/stratmartine rd shut up.

The wee kiosk on Arbroath rd seems to still be going strong though.

Sad day when folk stop reading papers.

Sharing oot the papers in work was a very sociable thing tae dae. Geez a scek o yet paper will seldom be heard now. Pity.

Seldom go up to meh dads withoot a paper to hand in and cannae ever see me losing the habit o buying at least one everyday.

Hi Rorros ......."Sad day when folk stop reading papers" ........ I agree it probably is. But changing times an all that.

The newspapers at one time, had an important and responsible job to do.   Now it's news at us from everywhere.

Less being sold I suppose, advertising falls, prices go up, contents/standards go down, people stop buying them.

I am semi rural, so a daily paper is no the first thing I think aboot. Although I listen to news now morethan watch.

When I wis a wee bairn I spent a great deal o' time in my Auntie (grannie's) auld tenenment flat in Blackness Road.

The twa rooms were withoot electricity and raised a family and meh Grannie and Grandad raised TWELVE bairns.

The hoose I loved. Gas mantle, windy up gramaphone, wireless, that had tae be filled up wi acid (that wis meh joab)

And busy tramline up and doon the Blackie. Right at the bottom o'the close. Picture Hooses showing "Pathe News"

"Changing times and all that"

Some really, very hard times.

But some grand memories.

Can feel a new topic here :)

Hi Rorros ......."Sad day when folk stop reading papers" ........ I agree it probably is. But changing times an all that.

The newspapers at one time, had an important and responsible job to do. Now it's news at us from everywhere.

Less being sold I suppose, advertising falls, prices go up, contents/standards go down, people stop buying them.

I am semi rural, so a daily paper is no the first thing I think aboot. Although I listen to news now morethan watch.

When I wis a wee bairn I spent a great deal o' time in my Auntie (grannie's) auld tenenment flat in Blackness Road.

The twa rooms were withoot electricity and raised a family and meh Grannie and Grandad raised TWELVE bairns.

The hoose I loved. Gas mantle, windy up gramaphone, wireless, that had tae be filled up wi acid (that wis meh joab)

And busy tramline up and doon the Blackie. Right at the bottom o'the close. Picture Hooses showing "Pathe News"

"Changing times and all that"

Some really, very hard times.

But some grand memories.

Can feel a new topic here :)

Meh auld man had 6 bros and 6 sisters and meh mum 3 and 3.

Wee bit o top trumphs there. Lol.

Em semi rural geedee and cant get passed 11 withoot a paper despite 24 hour news and the tinternet.

I like the columnists mair than the news. Hitchens is meh fav but Littlejohn, leckie and ally ross are worth the cover price as well.

Suppose em a creature o habit, still buy a paper abroad and "got a scek" o a guys 4 day auld mail on Sunday in Barbados back end o last year.