The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Best Players Dundee Have Produced

Rate this topic

Gordon Strachan must be up there. Shame we didn't hang on to him for longer.

Neil McCann was quality, although he did start out at Morton.

Any others of note? 

Guessing you're meaning players whose career began at Dens, Cobra, and excluding guys we signed from lower-league sides & developed?

From memory, some of our top international-quality players, before the yo-yo years began in the mid 70's:

Bill Brown - to Spurs & Scotland

Jimmy Gabriel - to Everton & Scotland

Alex Hamilton - regular with Scotland while at Dens & self-proclaimed "best right-back in the world" (he did play for the Rest of The World team v England)

Bobby Cox - best uncapped defender in the 1960's - THE Dens Park legend

Ian Ure - some Scotland caps then to Arsenal & ManU [Ken Wolstenholme (bbc) - "arguably the best central defender in the world" (at Arsenal)] 

Andy Penman - joined from Everton at 16, one cap before moving to Rangers

Alan Gilzean - capped while at Dens, to Spurs

Ally Donaldson - ...no full Scotland caps, but Scottish League XI

Jocky Scott - joined from Chelsea at 16, two caps before moving to Aberdeen

John Duncan - to Spurs...no full Scotland caps, but Scottish League XI

Ian Phillip - (Scottish schools captain for 3 years before signing straight from school) to Crystal Palace, returned to Dens....and I won't mention where he went next :stop:

These guys really were a class above the rest, who were all damned good players too.

• Like 1

Great post WoodStein. I was thinking any players who started their senior career at Dens who the club could take some credit for developing.

Kev MacDonald, fozzy, Gav Rae, hopefully wighton in the years to come too! Away the feckingggg dee!!! Love our club more than anything!

Alan Cousin was up there with the best as well and although Jocky Scott was signed from Chelsea he was still only 15 at the time so we must take credit for how he developed as well.

Alan Cousin was up there with the best as well and although Jocky Scott was signed from Chelsea he was still only 15 at the time so we must take credit for how he developed as well.

Hi Peter, I'd convinced myself last night that Alan Cousin had played somewhere else before Dens, otherwise the master of the double-shuffle would have been in my list, but I appreciate your research (& memory!) is well ahead of mine B) . 

I always thought his performances in taking the ball from midfield to attack were a significant element of feeding the elegant but clinical goal machine that was Gillie. His own scoring rate was pretty good too. A great player, another allowed to leave too early in his career.

I agree re Jocky (as with Andy Penman). Their brief spells as "YTS" or its early equivalent in England might have given them a brief insight into different coaching styles, but it was Dens where their skills & character were developed.

Any more books in your plans?

Way before my time, but I would have thought Doug Cowie would be in there as well

I was a huge fan of Iain anderson and sure he would have gone on to be one of the greats if not for injury.

In my time there has been mccann, rae, wilkie, macdonald and forsyth for sure.

Cam we claim big rab?? Was a brickie when we got our hands on him and went on to play for Scotland and gAve the best goal keeping performance I have seen away to valencia.

I was a huge fan of Iain anderson and sure he would have gone on to be one of the greats if not for injury.

Ando was a really classy winger in the 90s. I was convinced he had a great career ahead of him. Sadly it wasn't to be.

Ando was a really classy winger in the 90s. I was convinced he had a great career ahead of him. Sadly it wasn't to be.

I used to see a lot of iain in nick reilly in his first season with us and not just because they both had legs made of chocolate.

In my lifetime it is probably Kevin McDonald. Was around in the 90's to watch Anderson (first game was in 96/97) but I was a bit too young to appreciate how good he actually was.

Colin Hendry

In my lifetime it is probably Kevin McDonald. Was around in the 90's to watch Anderson (first game was in 96/97) but I was a bit too young to appreciate how good he actually was.

Agree with the McDonald shout mate, thought he would go onto bigger and better if i'm honest.  

I was around for Neil McCann but like you to young to appreciate the quality.