Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Could all games be off this weekend?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

What the actual f*ck benefit will any strike by referees have? Are they going to insist on more money because it's 'dangerous' with extra bonuses for giving Rangers penalties just because of one fkn instance of assault? Maybe get better at what they do and that sort of thing will be less likely?

People will strike for any nonsense reason these days - especially club officials by the look of it.

4 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

I'm going on strike because somebody was mugged in Barcelona last night

Total fkn nonsense

He wasn't mugged. He was physically assaulted, stomped on and spat at by Faruk Koca (Ankaragucu’s president) right after the game he officiated their game in the Turkish league.

It was shameful and should never happen, especially when someone is just doing their job. The whole of the Turkish league has been suspended while an enquiry is underway.

It seems that that whole of the UEFA referee's association may go on strike to ensure that their referees are better protected in future. Scottish referees are in the UEFA referees association.

It was a disgusting attack, should never have happened, and I hope that those who did this are arrested and the club fined.

14 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

He wasn't mugged. He was physically assaulted, stomped on and spat at by Faruk Koca (Ankaragucu’s president) right after the game he officiated their game in the Turkish league.

It was shameful and should never happen, especially when someone is just doing their job. The whole of the Turkish league has been suspended while an enquiry is underway.

It seems that that whole of the UEFA referee's association may go on strike to ensure that their referees are better protected in future. Scottish referees are in the UEFA referees association.

It was a disgusting attack, should never have happened, and I hope that those who did this are arrested and the club fined.

I know he was pretty harshly dealt with but my point is why does anyone in Scotland, Iceland, Lithuania, Finland etc. even consider striking because some moron in Turkey batters a referee? Absolute overkill to even suggest it.

Ban the guy for life, compensate the referee, penalise the club involved very heavily and you can (almost) guarantee it won't happen again.

I know he was pretty harshly dealt with. !!!!

are you kidding with "pretty" ? 

Your past comments stated you were a SFAR member , I hope you were incident free ,i reffed for many years I got the head put out on me once or twice .

a couple of weeks strike by UEFA referees will not solve the problem but only bring more awareness 

2 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

I know he was pretty harshly dealt with. !!!!

are you kidding with "pretty" ? 

Your past comments stated you were a SFAR member , I hope you were incident free ,i reffed for many years I got the head put out on me once or twice .

a couple of weeks strike by UEFA referees will not solve the problem but only bring more awareness 

Never at any point said I was an SFAR member. Don't even know what it is.

I refereed for a good few years but never got into a situation where any player or official felt it necessary to harm me physically - make of that what you will. Verbal abuse goes with the territory of course and you develop a thick skin to deal with it.

Bring more awareness of what? Generally speaking in professional football referees aren't assaulted by officials after games, can't think of an incidence of it in Scotland, there may have been but I can't recall one. It's a one in a million incident where three grown adults, who should know better, lost the tattie and did something they no doubt now regret - in a far away land where there's a completely different culture in their football to ours. In fact I'd say two of them only did what they did because their boss started it.

To say that because of that one incident every referee in Europe should refuse to take a game this weekend is complete knee jerk, bonkers nonsense.

4 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Never at any point said I was an SFAR member. Don't even know what it is.

I refereed for a good few years but never got into a situation where any player or official felt it necessary to harm me physically - make of that what you will. Verbal abuse goes with the territory of course and you develop a thick skin to deal with it.

Bring more awareness of what? Generally speaking in professional football referees aren't assaulted by officials after games, can't think of an incidence of it in Scotland, there may have been but I can't recall one. It's a one in a million incident where three grown adults, who should know better, lost the tattie and did something they no doubt now regret - in a far away land where there's a completely different culture in their football to ours. In fact I'd say two of them only did what they did because their boss started it.

To say that because of that one incident every referee in Europe should refuse to take a game this weekend is complete knee jerk, bonkers nonsense.

Scottish Football Association Referees (SFAR)  all  have/had to be a  member to referee matches in Scotland unless it is a game around the "backies" with mates.

I never said every referee should refuse to take a game as they wiĺl have no say in the matter and act as instructed, otherwise a good reply.

3 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

Scottish Football Association Referees (SFAR)  all  have/had to be a  member to referee matches in Scotland unless it is a game around the "backies" with mates.

I never said every referee should refuse to take a game as they wiĺl have no say in the matter and act as instructed, otherwise a good reply.

I think the rule that you had to be a SFA registered referee to take games in Scotland came in around 1992(ish)? Before that any badge was accepted as long as the league was happy. I refereed under a different badge in England and Scotland but had to stop due to recurring injury around the time of the change so never bothered registering.

I did actually do some games under my other badge after the rule came in (about a season) but the injury forced me to stop in the end. I was too tight to pay membership to two associations anyway 😂

The idea that an individual will have no say in the matter is wrong though. For any strike to take place needs consultation and agreement - i.e. a vote. Clubs might sue if the association just forced its members not to honour games and, in reality, referees who didn't want to strike could even have justification to claim lost earnings. Can you imagine the cost to clubs if a sudden refusal to referee games happened?

Adblock Detected