The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Riodee

Journospeak

Rate this topic

Tell ye what does meh heid in.

1. Using the word, so and so, "INSISTS" the team will do this. Why not just say he said it.

2. When talking about a player they say "Joe Blow, ex Auchenshoogle, and Carmylie winger". We are no interested in whaur he was before.And we kent it onyhow.

3. Stuff on DCT that is poached fae here an Dundee-Mad.

Lets hear some mair moans.

The phrase 'near miss' biggest Oxymoron to grace the commentating world haha!

When they say, 'if that strike was two yards to the right they'd be 1 up' well thank feck for you mate, Wouldnae have Kent otherwise!

Most of the English biased media, act like their football is the centre of the universe and everyone should bow down to it's money and foreign talent keeping it afloat.

Sportscene as a programme and how they seem to see us as a dinghy team and don't talk about us as highly as they do Caley and Ross county or even Hamilton ffs!

When they put up how many yards a player ran through the game, who the fffffk cares about that? Like how many passes made by the team in a game tae.. And breathe 😂😂🙈

I hate the way UK national media either talks down or ignores entirely the Scottish game.  Other than 5 or 6 top clubs English football really isn't great, yet they act like their entire top two divisions are full of world class talent.  In terms of technical football ability, there is very little difference between lower premiership clubs and some of our top teams, granted in terms of athletic ability they are miles ahead.

Added to this, I get the impression that our national team is very much the 4th favourite of the UK nations in the national media.  I might be being paranoid, but it seemed to me that in the lead up to the match in Dublin this weekend all the talk was of how Ireland were going to do and how they would be right back in the hunt with a win.  Not a mention that a win for us would see us likely set up an all or nothing decider with Poland in Glasgow.  I can understand Sky giving both view points as they sell to Ireland as well, although in my opinion their coverage was biased towards them, but the BBC seemed to be taking the same stance.  Ireland is a separate country, you would hope the national broadcaster would focus more on their own country than another.

End rant.

I hate the way UK national media either talks down or ignores entirely the Scottish game.  Other than 5 or 6 top clubs English football really isn't great, yet they act like their entire top two divisions are full of world class talent.  In terms of technical football ability, there is very little difference between lower premiership clubs and some of our top teams, granted in terms of athletic ability they are miles ahead.

Added to this, I get the impression that our national team is very much the 4th favourite of the UK nations in the national media.  I might be being paranoid, but it seemed to me that in the lead up to the match in Dublin this weekend all the talk was of how Ireland were going to do and how they would be right back in the hunt with a win.  Not a mention that a win for us would see us likely set up an all or nothing decider with Poland in Glasgow.  I can understand Sky giving both view points as they sell to Ireland as well, although in my opinion their coverage was biased towards them, but the BBC seemed to be taking the same stance.  Ireland is a separate country, you would hope the national broadcaster would focus more on their own country than another.

End rant.

Agree with this. We seem to be heading for the exit door as far as BBC sport are concerned.

Sportscene as a programme and how they seem to see us as a dinghy team and don't talk about us as highly as they do Caley and Ross county or even Hamilton ffs!

Everyone always thinks their team gets bad coverage or less praise than they deserve.

We're not treated any worse than any other team tho IMO.

• Like 1

The excessive use of "pays the penalty" in headlines annoys me whenever a team loses because of a penalty. It's lazy, crap journalism.

The excessive use of "pays the penalty" in headlines annoys me whenever a team loses because of a penalty. It's lazy, crap journalism.

Yeah there's a lot of lazy journalism...

The same tired headlines time after time:

"Scott is Bain of Dens park visitors."

"Gary Harkins back to past victories"

"United: Crap Again!"

Bad time to concede....................no *hit Sherlock, tells us a good time.

• Like 1

Any young goalkeeper referred to as....KID GLOVES.....never ever has anyone mentioned a young goalie by that term to me....so why journalists write that I'll never know.

Calling players aces. e.g. Dundee ace Stephen McGinn reveals his Wembley woe

Commentators saying "He hit that too well".

Edited by Cobra

Not so much journo speak but people, especially players that refer to other players by nicknames that are just a shortened version of their name - 'Lamps' for Lampard, and whatever Rooney is called now when 'Fatboy' and 'Pug' were a lot better.

One phrase that does annoy me  is 'playing football the right way'.  wtf is that all about?  Is it in the coaching manuals?  Whole chapters on the right way and the wrong way to play football?

"Bad time to lose a goal" .....

I know this might be the case when there is only a couple of minutes to go.

But it's also used if a goal is scored in the first few minutes. And in truth, there is never a "good" time tae lose a goal. (imo)