Reverend Lovejoy Posted 2 October 2025 Author Posted 2 October 2025 11 hours ago, Wesley chop chop said: they don't sit in October and the police news headline is just DCT attention seeking as the club released a statement weeks ago saying talks were constructive. Yeah it appears to be a chance to write a headline at best and mischief making at worst. Didn't realise there was no meeting in October as that was the date that was previously suggested as the earliest our application would be heard.
BAZ1893 Posted 2 October 2025 Posted 2 October 2025 There are hundreds of events all over the country every year taking place in various different venues. Music concerts, sports events, theatre shows etc. The one thing we, as attendees, can be sure of when we travel to our choice of entertainment is that there will undoubtedly be a lot of traffic as lots of us try to arrive and leave at roughly the same time. It's a bit of a ball ache but it can't be helped. I just can't get my head around why various organisations are trying to make out that a new stadium in Dundee, hosting football and other events, is going to be so un-workable when everywhere else manages to cope. Other stadiums and venues are in similar or even worse locations than Camperdown Park for traffic ingress and removal and they manage it to varying degrees without any wailing from the authorities. Also, as far as every 2nd Saturday goes, we already have all of the same people who will attend Dundee matches travelling into and out of the City to a location which is more difficult to access and leave. It's not as if hosting football matches is suddenly going to be a new thing for the City. It is blindingly obvious that there are people in high places who have the means to make this project stall and possibly fail and they are doing that. Problems of the nature reported so far could be dealt with relatively easily and sensibly if the right people wanted it to happen. 5
Reverend Lovejoy Posted 2 October 2025 Author Posted 2 October 2025 28 minutes ago, BAZ1893 said: There are hundreds of events all over the country every year taking place in various different venues. Music concerts, sports events, theatre shows etc. The one thing we, as attendees, can be sure of when we travel to our choice of entertainment is that there will undoubtedly be a lot of traffic as lots of us try to arrive and leave at roughly the same time. It's a bit of a ball ache but it can't be helped. I just can't get my head around why various organisations are trying to make out that a new stadium in Dundee, hosting football and other events, is going to be so un-workable when everywhere else manages to cope. Other stadiums and venues are in similar or even worse locations than Camperdown Park for traffic ingress and removal and they manage it to varying degrees without any wailing from the authorities. Also, as far as every 2nd Saturday goes, we already have all of the same people who will attend Dundee matches travelling into and out of the City to a location which is more difficult to access and leave. It's not as if hosting football matches is suddenly going to be a new thing for the City. It is blindingly obvious that there are people in high places who have the means to make this project stall and possibly fail and they are doing that. Problems of the nature reported so far could be dealt with relatively easily and sensibly if the right people wanted it to happen. The biggest problem I can see for away fans travelling from the west by car is that they'll pretty much all exit the Kingsway at the Coupar Angus Road roundabout whereas they have the option of the Macalpine Road roundabout, Strathmartine Road roundabout or Old Glamis Road roundabout as exits travelling to Dens.
QuesoGrande Posted 2 October 2025 Posted 2 October 2025 21 minutes ago, BAZ1893 said: There are hundreds of events all over the country every year taking place in various different venues. Music concerts, sports events, theatre shows etc. The one thing we, as attendees, can be sure of when we travel to our choice of entertainment is that there will undoubtedly be a lot of traffic as lots of us try to arrive and leave at roughly the same time. It's a bit of a ball ache but it can't be helped. I just can't get my head around why various organisations are trying to make out that a new stadium in Dundee, hosting football and other events, is going to be so un-workable when everywhere else manages to cope. Other stadiums and venues are in similar or even worse locations than Camperdown Park for traffic ingress and removal and they manage it to varying degrees without any wailing from the authorities. Also, as far as every 2nd Saturday goes, we already have all of the same people who will attend Dundee matches travelling into and out of the City to a location which is more difficult to access and leave. It's not as if hosting football matches is suddenly going to be a new thing for the City. It is blindingly obvious that there are people in high places who have the means to make this project stall and possibly fail and they are doing that. Problems of the nature reported so far could be dealt with relatively easily and sensibly if the right people wanted it to happen. Sadly the 21st century red tape and rule books are so extensive that it just gets harder and harder to build anything. Every possible agency, quango, council, neighbourhood watch all needs consulted and all have their own rules which must be followed. Mostly set with good intentions but without seeing the bigger picture. All set in their own wee bubble without taking the wider benefit into account. This is where DCC are meant to step in and say we have listened but the wider benefit to the city over rides any concerns about temporary traffic jams or removing trees. Sadly councillors will vote along party lines or in favour of their own constituents. See west end councillors voting against riverside complex as an example because their dog walkers and nimbys objected despite overwhelming support from the people who use the facilities the most. I hope when it does eventually come to committee that enough councillors will see it’s a massive boost to the city and vote it through. However, I expect the Charleston councillors to vote against and any tangy-tinted ones too. So it actually might be quite close. John Swinney is on record saying he would support if he had to so if it goes that far we might eventually get approval.
Neverapenref Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 You would think the traffic congestion would be less than the current location, currently little parking ( without getting a ticket) or taking up residential spaces, at least the location would allow busses to offload and park in either side of the Kingsways industrial estates thus not interfering with local residents. if the issue is just backing up at the exit slip road, this surely would be no different to the next junction up the road where the supporters travelling from the west or even Adler and St Mary’s would meet at the same roundabout when the old firm come to town. Never heard any issues here. They just seem to want to add obstacles. It would appear to a hundred reasons why not to allow instead of working for the one reason to get this up and running! 1
Reverend Lovejoy Posted 3 October 2025 Author Posted 3 October 2025 35 minutes ago, Neverapenref said: You would think the traffic congestion would be less than the current location, currently little parking ( without getting a ticket) or taking up residential spaces, at least the location would allow busses to offload and park in either side of the Kingsways industrial estates thus not interfering with local residents. if the issue is just backing up at the exit slip road, this surely would be no different to the next junction up the road where the supporters travelling from the west or even Adler and St Mary’s would meet at the same roundabout when the old firm come to town. Never heard any issues here. They just seem to want to add obstacles. It would appear to a hundred reasons why not to allow instead of working for the one reason to get this up and running! Posted in the Stadium thread, I think there are more exits from the Kingsway (Macalpine rd, Strathmartine rd & Old Glamis rd roundabouts) going to Dens for traffic coming from the west compared to the Coupar Angus roundabout at the new venue. That could be their issue because traffic potentially backs up onto the Kingsway. You could technically come off at Myrekirk too and either head through Charleston or Birkie but will out of towners be aware of these options?.
Billy Campbell's Ghost Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 25 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said: Posted in the Stadium thread, I think there are more exits from the Kingsway (Macalpine rd, Strathmartine rd & Old Glamis rd roundabouts) going to Dens for traffic coming from the west compared to the Coupar Angus roundabout at the new venue. That could be their issue because traffic potentially backs up onto the Kingsway. You could technically come off at Myrekirk too and either head through Charleston or Birkie but will out of towners be aware of these options?. It wont take them long to find out . Away fans have been attending Dens for decades, its just a matter of bedding in and everyone will suss it out. Its like anything new. 1
FanDee Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 Its all politics pure and simple, obstacles left right and centre for the stadium and training ground (sunsets ,give me a break!). I'm certain people of a tangerine persuasion are helping to stall it. 1
Billy Campbell's Ghost Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 When Hibs play Hearts the police draw a portable steel fence across a certain street. Its fans not helping with bad behaviour that cause extra costs in football.
Deeboy08 Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 1 hour ago, FanDee said: Its all politics pure and simple, obstacles left right and centre for the stadium and training ground (sunsets ,give me a break!). I'm certain people of a tangerine persuasion are helping to stall it. That’s all their doing stalling it it will happen 1
Reverend Lovejoy Posted 3 October 2025 Author Posted 3 October 2025 9 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said: It wont take them long to find out . Away fans have been attending Dens for decades, its just a matter of bedding in and everyone will suss it out. Its like anything new. I've been to away games where we've been sat in a lengthy queue of traffic, I remember a game at Clyde being a particularly long period sat in traffic and also at Inverness the season before promotion. Part and parcel sometimes but I can see why the authorities would be concerned.
Prince Buster Posted 3 October 2025 Posted 3 October 2025 22 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said: I've been to away games where we've been sat in a lengthy queue of traffic, I remember a game at Clyde being a particularly long period sat in traffic and also at Inverness the season before promotion. Part and parcel sometimes but I can see why the authorities would be concerned. Always long queues on trunk roads to get to McDiarmid and Caledonian Stadium. But then there's generally always long queues at busy times on those trunk roads. Same as there can be long queues on The Kingsway or on the approach to The Swallow at busy times. It's the way of the world on our grossly inadequate transport infrastructure. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now