The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Broomy

Harkins - Short Memories

Rate this topic

1. Captain of 'administration' team. How can folk question his attitude or commitment to Dundee FC. Played injured during 'that' run.

2. Nearly saved us from relegation in Barry's year in SPL,. If he'd been allowed to play earlier??

3. Refused to sign for them across the road and moved to St Midden instead - obviously not a good move for him with their reliance on the long ball to alleged 'spear throwing' Thompson. 

4. Who can possibly question the quality of our football before his injury (stress fracture to his shin) with which again he'd been playing, Those at Paisley on 'stitches' day might have seen him limp heavily after cooling down after being subbed,

5. The quality of our football after his injury.

6. Honest fans will admit, with the exception of our home derby game, we stole points after poor performances in the run in.

7. How many of Clarkson's and Stewart's goals was he involved in? Was the young and full of potential Stewart the same player without him? Would McGowan ever have scored without him? 

8. Yes he was unfit at the end of the season but he didn't hide and was prepared to play his part. Was more than willing to play with 20s to show his commitment to the club. 

9. Regularly used the 'no gravity' machine at Hamilton when the club arranged it.

Like most fans I hope to see a slimmer and fitter GGH at the start of next season. I am simply frustrated at the number of posters (not representative of all fans) who don't see a starting place for a player of proven quality and commitment to DFC.

PS I'm not CC33 nor am I Cobra!

• Like 7

Sorry, should obviously had read 'SHORT' memories!!

Edited by TheDarkBlues
Corrected that for you :)

Don't think too many posters on here are that critical of GGH to be fair? Unfit and looks overweight yes but most appreciate we were a different side with him playing last season.

Echo Deeranged on this. Most on here appreciate what Harkins brings to the team but an overweight player isn't going to cut it in this league regardless of who he is or what he did for us 4 or 5 seasons ago. There will always be those that don't rate him but they only tend to come out of the woodwork when there is something to criticise.

Harkins will know that he has to work on his weight issues more than others and I expect to see a slimmer GGH lining up in the first few friendlies.

1. Captain of 'administration' team. How can folk question his attitude or commitment to Dundee FC. Played injured during 'that' run.

2. Nearly saved us from relegation in Barry's year in SPL,. If he'd been allowed to play earlier??

3. Refused to sign for them across the road and moved to St Midden instead - obviously not a good move for him with their reliance on the long ball to alleged 'spear throwing' Thompson.

4. Who can possibly question the quality of our football before his injury (stress fracture to his shin) with which again he'd been playing, Those at Paisley on 'stitches' day might have seen him limp heavily after cooling down after being subbed,

6. Honest fans will admit, with the exception of our home derby game, we stole points after poor performances in the run in.

7. How many of Clarkson's and Stewart's goals was he involved in? Was the young and full of potential Stewart the same player without him? Would McGowan ever have scored without him?

8. Yes he was unfit at the end of the season but he didn't hide and was prepared to play his part. Was more than willing to play with 20s to show his commitment to the club.

9. Regularly used the 'no gravity' machine at Hamilton when the club arranged it.

Like most fans I hope to see a slimmer and fitter GGH at the start of next season. I am simply frustrated at the number of posters (not representative of all fans) who don't see a starting place for a player of proven quality and commitment to DFC.

All true...

But he is clearly overweight. So obviously does not care about being in shape.

So what place do you see for him?

It is probably pretty clear from my previous posts that I am massive Harkins fan--GGH works a lot harder than people give him credit for--He will come back fitter- of that I have no doubt. Dundee and Scottish football need his kind of qualities.

Dundee are more creative and dangerous team with Harkins in it.

How many games this year were we crying out for him to make a difference, if he's fit he plays IMO

• Like 2

It is probably pretty clear from my previous posts that I am massive Harkins fan--GGH works a lot harder than people give him credit for--He will come back fitter- of that I have no doubt. Dundee and Scottish football need his kind of qualities.

Totally agree, Peter. We lacked creativity when he was injured and PH only used him sparingly later in the season. Sadly, with the signing of these new midfielders I think GGH's time on the pitch will be limited. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes Den Spark -I fear you may be correct-but PH will use him well I think-he will know what GGH can do-he would be the first name on my team sheet. The position behind the striker seems to be the popular choice of position but a lot of his best performances have been when he is in a orthodox mid field position when he gets the ball facing the opposition goal--playing in the space behind the striker he generally gets the ball facing his own goal. We have a lot of good players now so it will be squad game next season--looking forward to it!

3. Refused to sign for them across the road and moved to St Midden instead - obviously not a good move for him with their reliance on the long ball to alleged 'spear throwing' Thompson. 

4. Who can possibly question the quality of our football before his injury (stress fracture to his shin) with which again he'd been playing, Those at Paisley on 'stitches' day might have seen him limp heavily after cooling down after being subbed,

Like most fans I hope to see a slimmer and fitter GGH at the start of next season. I am simply frustrated at the number of posters (not representative of all fans) who don't see a starting place for a player of proven quality and commitment to DFC.

Well said that man. Some absolute bollocks posted on here about GGH topped off with "he doesn't care about his size".

Very limited creativity when he was out the side injured.

• Like 1

Most of this all spot on. If GGH was as fit as a fiddle and ran all day, like a Jimmy Mac for example, he wouldnt be playing for a club like ours. Thats a fact. The fact he is playing for a team like ours is probably down to the fitness issues that have always dogged him.

Im a huge fan of his and we are a far better more creative team with him in it. The best teams in the world have ur so called 'luxury' players and that will never change. Killie have Eremenko, Berbatov was labelled the same his whole career. Thats why you need plenty of energy around these types of players, then give them the ball and let them do their stuff.

He was out of shape the end of the season but that would have been down to lack of training and games and players like him are the type that need it to be constant or the difference is there to be seen. Sir Alex said the same about Rooney, in that players of his size/shape or whatever u want to call it, need it, or it takes them 4 or 5 games to get back to their level. 

Hopefully he'll come back fit and ready to go and if so, would be one of the first names on my teamsheet.

Would still be a first pick for me

My favourite player at Dens and an absolute joy to watch when he is on form.

We have no other player like him and Scottish football doesn't have too many like him left either.

For the umpteenth time, if he was always fit and ran and produced his stuff for 90 mins a game 40 times a season, he'd be at Celtic or in the Premiership down south not at Dens.

He is at Dens because it doesn't happen every game and he isn't always fit. Same as Thomson.

GGH :wub:

Totally agree, Peter. We lacked creativity when he was injured and PH only used him sparingly later in the season. Sadly, with the signing of these new midfielders I think GGH's time on the pitch will be limited. Hope I'm wrong.

I suspect you're right, as others have said though, without him we've been completely lacking in creativity in some games, he gives us something different and is also a pleasure to watch. I hope he gets game time personally.

Harkins is yesterdays man.

We were better with him in the side last year it's true, but we've brought in players already that will be way ahead of him this year.