The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Players Who Left and Broke Your Heart

Rate this topic

Rangers signing Iain Ferguson and Cammy Fraser was a real sickener. Hardest one to take though was Tommy Coyne to Celtic. The Pole going to Ibrox was another painful one.

Which departures from Dens left you gutted?

Jocky to Aberdeen, I was quite literally gutted and almost in tears.

Dariusz for sure.

Also gutted when Weighorst left

Rab's departure was pretty hard to take considering the circumstances and the poison at our club at the time.

But in a conventional sense? Billy Dodds was a sore one, but selling Speroni on and facing the prospect of Derek Soutar replacing him was pretty grim.

The big money deals (Yogi/Gillie) didn't bother me as they were long drawn out stories & they meant someone new was on the way in soon. Losing Charlie Cooke so soon was a disappointment as we all knew he was turning into a real star.

Andy Penman to Rangers & Jocky to Aberdeen were different....I never thought they'd leave & we got little for them.

Strachan to Aberdeen was perhaps the biggest disappointment, though, as (like Cooke) we knew he was a rising star & the fans loved him. At the time, it was hard to understand (average fee + Jim Shirra) as his market value seemed much higher, but when the story about the bank threatening closure became public, it was obvious that Ian Gellatly & Tommy Gemmell had no other option. 

Downhill from there, sadly.....

Rab's departure was pretty hard to take considering the circumstances and the poison at our club at the time.

But in a conventional sense? Billy Dodds was a sore one, but selling Speroni on and facing the prospect of Derek Soutar replacing him was pretty grim.

Forgot about Dodds that was a sore one, kind of came from nothing if I mind right.

As for Rab, it's was 100% the right decision done in 1000% the wrong way IMO so wasn't too cut up about that.

Although he went for good money, not that as a 13 year old would appreciate at the time, I was gutted when John Duncan left for Spurs.

Iain Ferguson came back on loan.....then went across the road...wiz gutted 😯

Wasn't quite the same as leaving but I remember when Duffy was forced to give up when he did his cruciate. I remember reading the paper and being almost in tears.

Wasn't quite the same as leaving but I remember when Duffy was forced to give up when he did his cruciate. I remember reading the paper and being almost in tears.

must have read the back page umpteen times to make sure I was reading that right....sore one that was .

The first one was Ian Redford, not that I'd seen him play, my Dad wasn't keen on taking me to the football, it had gotten a bit of a 'rough' reputation at the time and he had no intention of going back to games. Dariusz was another one who while not surprised that he went to one of the OF clubs, for some reason it disappointed me, maybe because I thought he'd go abroad, dunno. Controversially, I was sorry to see Paul Dixon go, I 'foresaw' real potential in him and was gutted that he left, especially to shuffle off down the road. I hoped Gary McKenzie would stay too.

Most of our 'best' players, I've kind of expected to move on, I've been disappointed sometimes with either where they've ended up or how much we've got for them (or both with Khizanishvili) but we've been a 'selling club' for a long time.  :(

Stevie Murray was a blow, So was Jim Steele.

• Like 1

Billy Dodds to St Johnstone seemed to be a real backwards step at the time, which I couldn't get my head round.

Rangers stealing Zurab via a contractual loophole was a real sickener though.

Edited by R2Dee2

Jocky to Aberdeen for me too. Me and my mates went to Mennies to drown our sorrows and decided to have one last chorus of "Oh Jocky, Jocky". That earned us a red card from Mrs Mennie and we were ushered out by her ample bosom. She didn't take any crap and you didn't argue with her!