Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Midfield

Attilio

Kevin Thomson is undoubtedly a big influence on our team and especially our midfield. Chances are though that he might miss one or two games again next season for whatever reason. :o

Looking at the make up of our squad so far, do we have a like for like replacement for him, maybe not a like for like but someone who could do more than a decent job there?

If he isn't available does it mean a major change in personnel in the team or a major change in formation?

Can't say I've ever seen Low or Ross to say if they could do that job.  If not them, then who could?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

KT will undoubtedly miss games next season. Will PH be able to manage him in a way where he exceeds his appearances last season is the big question I suppose?

I can understand to an extent why he played in most of the games against "lesser" opposition last season but his absence in the big games was a real blow.

I for one would like to see that turned on its head this season with KT being saved for the matches against the teams in the top half of the division and perhaps a more expansive, attacking style without the need for a KT clone against the teams lower down the league.

If he was left out against Killie on day one, would he make the double header of Hearts at Dens the next Saturday followed by the Dabs at the Sticklebrick on the Wednesday?

i hope so!! but imo he should never be our captain.

Its a difficult one this, he's arguably our best player and if he's still around the squad training and that, even if he's not playing then he will still have a big influence. I really don't think the captain has that much influence on the park, the manager is just as close in the dugout so able to inspire etc. I wouldn't want any old dafty as 'El Capitano' but in this case I think Thomson's experience justifies his captaincy. We've got other 'old heads' that can do the job on the day if KT isn't playing. I've never been a fan of captains who's 'inspirational pep talks' involve clapping their hands together and shouting "lets get into these c**ts", that's just window dressing for the fans and I think KT and the likes of Barry Smith before him have a lot more about them and are better role models, especially for the yoofs.

To me we have the perfect replacement for KT when he's unavailable. GGH. Harkins is critisised, correctly for not having the stamina to play behind the striker. He has all the ability to play a deeper role but still keep control and play forward passes. IMO 

• Like 1

To me we have the perfect replacement for KT when he's unavailable. GGH. Harkins is critisised, correctly for not having the stamina to play behind the striker. He has all the ability to play a deeper role but still keep control and play forward passes. IMO 

but GGH doesnt have the defensive qualities for that role and he likes to take the ball for a wander, which would leave the back four exposed

I'd agree with that. Harkins has he ability to spray the ball around plus win his fair share of headers in defensive situations plus previously playing centre half he'd have the know-how to be able to play that role.

If he fancies running around a bit!

Edited by Pablothedee

Do see the prospect of Harkins going deeper a bit risky as his work rate really means that two sitting midfielders need to support him. The problem with Gary Harkins is that he's just himself. No managers have really had much success with altering his style and he's reached a point in his career where I don't really see him improving his mobility drastically enough to suit a role like that. He's a creative player and he needs the freedom to express that, we can define that as him playing in 'midfield' or as a 'forward' but in my mind, it's just down to having two players who can effectively support the defence and are mobile enough to support him.

In pre-season, I'd be experimenting with Konrad and Gadzhalov to see if we can make them comfortable with playing as ball winning deep midfielders. Not as a permanent option but we do need to find a back-up plan if we are struggling to retain possession.

Gadzhalov didn't work out too well against Thistle when we tried him there but we will be expecting his fitness and communication skills to improve quite a bit when he gets a pre-season here so it might be an option in the future. Wouldn't be doing too much to him as it's probably most important that he manages to settle in and get the basics right (i.e. being a good centre half) but if he's doing well, would maybe try to get him comfortable with playing in the middle.

Konrad hasn't played in the middle IIRC yet but there is potential there for him to do very well. His main limitation is his height but he's comfortable on the ball and can put in a good challenge. He reads the game well most of the time but there are occasions where he has made errors (although in my opinion, I think weaknesses elsewhere have very harshly exposed him). If what I think about him is correct, playing in front of the defence would suit him perfectly. He wouldn't be dependent on to handle all aerial threats and should our full backs be given the freedom to bomb down the pitch, he can slip in and cover them as effectively as anyone we have. It may not work but it's certainly worth seeing if he can handle playing there.

I imagine we'll play 3 of Ross, Low, McGowan, Thomson and Ferry at once and then 3 of Stewart, Loy, Hemmings, Harkins, Tankulic and Roberts at once. Injuries last season would suggest that most will get plenty game time but Ferry, Tankulic and Roberts will likely struggle a bit.

but GGH doesnt have the defensive qualities for that role and he likes to take the ball for a wander, which would leave the back four exposed

He didn't do this during our deefiant season? The man was exceptional mostly playing in this position, knocking his pan in for 90 minutes every week and all whilst carrying an injury. Actually at one point of that run he was carrying 2 separate knocks!

Adblock Detected