The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
JoeCovenant

This Season... Top Six?

Rate this topic

Top Six in Season 2015-16  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will Dundee finish in the Top Six in Season 2015

• Yes
    • No

So what do we reckon?

Yes or No?

(And you can be honest - votes will not be public!)

If thing's stayed like *this* it would be braw!  :)

http://spfl.co.uk/premiership/table/

(NB: The content of this post may become desperately ironic in exactly one month's time...)

Yes :)

The split is a drag, but if we must make the top six, no p***ing about this time please.

Think we will finish 7th. Still reckon we lack a bit of pace and creativity to regularly beat the better sides in the league.

Edited by Mr Gandosaur

I'm starting to get slightly worried that we will be outmuscled quite a lot from other teams.

I see County have signed some commanding centre half from Bradford. Keeps me worried me might struggle at dealing with set pieces etc

I'm starting to get slightly worried that we will be outmuscled quite a lot from other teams.

I see County have signed some commanding centre half from Bradford. Keeps me worried me might struggle at dealing with set pieces etc

Until we see the new back 4 or 5 (as some are suggesting it could be) then we really can't tell how it might fair against set pieces.

You are right thought, last season we gave away to many cheap goals from set pieces and I hope that is something that PH works on during the close season.

I said before and will stick with my predicition and that is 7th. While we have done business early and that is good I cant help but be wary that we are taking some big risks. Very few of these players have had any great exposure to this level and some are going to be stepping up to full time football. While they may all work out I think there will be some inconsistant performances. I also believe that for many of the excisting players they will find this second year in the top flight harder than the first and with what we achieved last season they may find the expectation and pressure to be greater and dealing with that will be hard. Some will thrive on it but others may not.

I think our season boils down to having Bain, McPake, Thomson, Gowser, Harkins and Hemmings all being fit for at least 80% of games. The first five and Irvine will have a huge role to play as they are the experianced guys who can inspire the younger and newer players and push them on.

The squad is in place early. The manager has his team in place.

No excuse not to finish top 6.

Finishing above "everything must go" fc would be nice too

The bookies have us down as likely to finish 7th. It'll be close, and much more difficult than last season, but I have faith.

I've said 7th all along with the same top 6 other than Hearts replacing us.

I kind of stick by that though events across the road so far this pre season suggest that they might be more likely than us to drop out the top 6.

Can I vote for both? 6th or 7th  :)

If Hartley can get a good never say die team spirit goin,get them fit and playing his system to its potential then top six is very possible.We need to win more games at Dens,same away form will do apart from couple blips,but he knows exactly what is expected now,better playrs,more cover,cannae wait!

It's possible we'll have an amazing season and finish in the European places but I expect us to spend the season among the middle four clubs with top six going down to the wire again. Priority one though is to avoid the drop.

I've gone for yes! Think it will be very tough this season and if we do make it I can see us scraping in last minute like last season.

But i'm being positive and saying we will just make it.  :D

5th and a cup.

We have to make progress every year IMO till we plateau as an established top 6 team that makes final appearances every 3 years or so.

Looking at teams last season and comparing what they look like now, I do think we've got a very good chance at top 6. Obviously, things change very fast in football but I think we've assembled a very competent team that will be a lot more street wise than last season and perform better.

Celtic - 1st

Contrary to popular belief that Celtic were poor in the league last season, they were actually really efficient and picked up 92 points which is impressive for a winner. I don't think they will keep it up this season though and if they qualify for the Champions League group stages, I can see them dropping a few more points.

Aberdeen - 2nd

Picked up 75 points and kept pace with Celtic for a lot longer than expected last season. One of their weaknesses was the left back spot and they've been very quick in getting Graeme Shinnie fixed up to solve that. Kenny McLean arrived in January too and will now be expected to make a bigger contribution and maybe take the pressure off Robson a bit.

Can see them doing well and getting to the Europa League group stages which tbh will curse them and lead to them to dropping quite a few points.

Outside chance of running Celtic close but expect around the same.

Inverness/St Johnstone/Dundee - 3rd/4th/5th

For Inverness, Watkins and Shinnie have left and both were very important to their success. Outside of that, Nick Ross who was showing himself to be a decent back-up and who would have likely been given a lot more game time is also away.

I fancy Inverness to hold in the top half of the table (their core of players is still very good) but to achieve the same as last season, their signings are going to have to gel well and a couple of the younger boys will be expected to contribute a bit more.

St Johnstone are a similar sort of team to Inverness in the sense that they have had a settled squad for a while and they don't make many changes. Brian Graham is lost but they have brought in John Sutton who IMO will fit very well into their team. They have needed another centre half for cover and they've ended up with Brad McKay from Hearts who should do a good job and who will be viewed as Fraser Wright's eventual successor. If they stay injury free, the points will come for them.

Dundee have turned over a lot of players who weren't making a direct contribution last season. We were vulnerable all the time and despite having a decent sized squad, we still struggled some weeks for a proper squad. I believe that this problem is gone and should the defensive side of the game be secure, we've added goals to the team and have Loy, Stewart and Hemmings who could work out to be a lethal threat given the goals they've scored together. If the team gel well, it could really have us as one of the better sides of the league. If not, I still see us finishing around the same place as last season.

Hearts - 6th

Reckon Hearts will make it but they will be closer to the teams in the bottom half than the sides above them. Although they did well last year and their professionalism had them as worthy league winners, I do think their 21 point win has been a bit overhyped. The 'strong' second tier last season had Rangers and Hibs but neither of them looked anything above an average First Division winners team. With the exception of Queen of the South, I thought most of the teams were poorer on the season before and actually thought that the league wasn't that strong.

Letting Jason Holt and Brad McKay go is an incredibly short sighted move as both players would likely have been called to contribute this season (much more so in the case of Holt though).

Danny Wilson has also departed and although a replacement has arrived from Poland, we don't really know how well he'll fit in. Eckersley has also left and stepping up will likely be Kevin McHattie who I fancy being a weak link.

I expect them to do well but their main weakness for me lies in relying heavily on Gomis. He's a class player who can really be effective when in control of a game but if he's hit with someone a bit more mobile than him and the defence are a bit busier, his effectiveness is massively reduced. There are ways to manage that but it'll be a test for Nielson.

Dundee United/Kilmarnock/Ross County - 7th/8th/9th

Controversial picking United for bottom half but I do think it is a real prospect for them. Their end form to the season was absolutely atrocious and since losing GMS and Armstrong in January, they've been relying on players who have shown that they aren't quite ready yet. They'll keep their heads above water but I think a top 6 finish is unlikely and with Ciftci likely away, I see too little of a consistent attacking threat to carry them high for the whole season. A few good young players there but this will be a learning season for them.

Killie finished 10th last season and had quite a poor finish. They've kept hold of some of their better players in Slater, Connolly and McKenzie though and added Boyd and Higginbotham who have proven in the past that they can be very good at this level. Don't see them going down but see them falling short on top half.

Ross County looked doomed most of last season but they kept quite patient under McIntyre and they do seem to have a more balanced squad this year. McShane, Fox and Graham are all good additions and they've got rid of quite a lot of sh**e that was hanging around and not really adding anything. I can see them maybe flirting with the relegation spots on occasion but will pull comfortably clear in the last few months.

Motherwell/Hamilton/Partick Thistle - 10th/11th/12th

Motherwell had the great escape last year but they've celebrated that by adding Joe Chalmers (a left back from Celtic who hasn't played in a year and previously looked very weak at Celtic), a forward struggling in League Two (Wes Fletcher), a forward from the Conference (Louis Moult) and then replaced the threat of McDonald and Sutton with our very own David Clarkson. Those signings really remind me of St Mirren at the start of the season and unless they get a move on, I can see them suffering a similar fate.

Hamilton had a poor end to the season and went on a massive losing run after Alex Neil departed. They've lost Stephen Hendrie to West Ham and only brought in a substitute goalkeeper and a decent squad player from Dumbarton (Chris Turner). Canning has a lot to prove and if their form under him continues, they could be in deep sh*t.

Partick Thistle have done one good bit of business by replacing Scott Fox with Thomas Cerny but apart from that, they have stood still. Conrad Balatoni, Stephen O'Donnell, Kallum Higginbotham and, as it stands, Lyle Taylor have departed with no replacements. If they don't replace them competently, they will be dragged deeper.

Final table

1st - Celtic

2nd - Aberdeen

3rd/4th/5th - Inverness/St Johnstone/Dundee

6th - Hearts

-----------------------------------------------------------

7th/8th/9th - United/Killie/Ross County

10th/11th/12th - Motherwell/Hamilton/Partick Thistle

• Like 3