The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Dundee F.C......"Friendly Games"

Rate this topic

Logically speaking I would accept, that with regard to the final result of a friendly, this may not be the main criteria.

The theory I suppose, is mainly to assess the overall fitness, skill, motivation of the individual players and our squad.

I do not feel suicidal if we lose a friendly against a lower team. But I certainly would feel much happier when we win.

I know, as well as above, part of the idea of friendlies is to experiment, and try out new things. That is as it should be.

From what I am gathering PH was not too happy with what he saw yesterday. I imagine DFC players were not either.

Understand others saying it means nothing. But in simple terms, when DFC win I feel good. When they lose, I do not.

I am still of the opinion, against the likes of Raith and Brechin, we should win easily......even if it is a "just a friendly"

DFC players, both old and new, should be out there fighting for a regular place in the DFC team .......in every game !!

I don't think anyone likes it when we lose but as has been pointed out on the Brechin game thread, we beat Man City pre season last year, I don't think anyone at City lost their job over it, I'm sure some of the fans were a bit disappointed though.

shit_happens_house_gif_by_degonx666-d7s8

New signings, even rumours o' new signing, bits of news from the Club (firgit that ain) o next season's DFC prospects, help to enthuse supporters during the dragging close season. By the time the First Friendly games come along, knowing we are no sae far away fae the "real stuff" hopes and enthusiasm starts to peak.

......then we get beat fae Brechin !!

Chomp, if my memory serves me well. I think on balance, in past years, when we do very well in pre- season games .... it does not indicate a good season ahead. And similiarly, when we have shown some terrible pre-season results, we do seem to have learned from them and went on to have a good, steady season.

So in that respect, you (and others) are right. When it comes to the real games, let's hope each and every player, shows he is right up for the job on the day.

(Think somebody suggested friendlies, might be beter played behing closed doors ..... with a crowd of 800+, maybe this is right)

New signings, even rumours o' new signing, bits of news from the Club (firgit that ain) o next season's DFC prospects, help to enthuse supporters during the dragging close season. By the time the First Friendly games come along, knowing we are no sae far away fae the "real stuff" hopes and enthusiasm starts to peak.

......then we get beat fae Brechin !!

Chomp, if my memory serves me well. I think on balance, in past years, when we do very well in pre- season games .... it does not indicate a good season ahead. And similiarly, when we have shown some terrible pre-season results, we do seem to have learned from them and went on to have a good, steady season.

So in that respect, you (and others) are right. When it comes to the real games, let's hope each and every player, shows he is right up for the job on the day.

(Think somebody suggested friendlies, might be beter played behing closed doors ..... with a crowd of 800+, maybe this is right)

Hell no, I would hate it if the club was playing, even a friendly, and we're told afterwards, especially over the close season, the pre-season friendlies give us a fix until we can get hooked up to the main supply again. If the clubs can make a wee bit of money out of it too then all the better. We'd all be on here slating them if (for example) they came out the day afterwards and said "oh aye, we beat Man City 2 nil yesterday, great game as well". If folk don't want to go to a pre season game, there's a very simple solution, I didn't make it yesterday but I'd rather have gone than not, each to their own.

Logically speaking I would accept, that with regard to the final result of a friendly, this may not be the main criteria.

The theory I suppose, is mainly to assess the overall fitness, skill, motivation of the individual players and our squad.

I do not feel suicidal if we lose a friendly against a lower team. But I certainly would feel much happier when we win.

I know, as well as above, part of the idea of friendlies is to experiment, and try out new things. That is as it should be.

From what I am gathering PH was not too happy with what he saw yesterday. I imagine DFC players were not either.

Understand others saying it means nothing. But in simple terms, when DFC win I feel good. When they lose, I do not.

I am still of the opinion, against the likes of Raith and Brechin, we should win easily......even if it is a "just a friendly"

DFC players, both old and new, should be out there fighting for a regular place in the DFC team .......in every game !!

Results aren't important but performances are. Last season we went for quality over quantity and lacked cover. This season we have a lot more depth in the squad and have better cover in all positions (on paper anyway).

The Brechin game was a chance for the fringe players to step up and show Hartley that they should be starting. The fact that they never i think will really have disappointed him.

It's not the end of the world but it would have been encouraging if we played well and comfortably beat Brechin with our fringe players and would have been a clear sign of progress from last season.

Reading fans views etc - im more concerned about the lack of creativity / shots at goal than the result.

Have we still the same problems from last season

NO CREATIVITY

NO PACE

Too many like for like players - why have Mcgowan and Low - sound the exact same type of player

Edited by CC33

Too many like for like players - why have Mcgowan and Low - sound the exact same type of player

Better two of that type than none surely?

Better two of that type than none surely?

Dunno mate - just feel we`ve too many like for likes

All nice wee square passes in midfield but no killer passes

When i watched that Juan Sara video - i seen Beto make a killer through ball , and crosses being fired into the box - this is something we dont do and i cant understand why

I just think we`re stale in midfield

Not due to the result yesterday but i dont think we`re in for a good season , Cant see how without pace n wide , creativity - but thats prob due to me having a defeatest attitude in life.

How does Hemmings look guys ?

Does he look to have pace? is he a big lad?

Low looks to be a better passer than Gowser.

Think he'll go on to be a great player for us.

After seeing the Raith and Brechin games, I'm a bit concerned about our midfield "possession" passes. Most of time we were going nowhere. If you think back to the NY game (!!). United were not any better than us, but the made decisive, quick, forward passes which led to their goals. Also don't understand why PH played GH and GS both games in full. He knows exactly what they can do so why play them when there are so many new players.

After seeing the Raith and Brechin games, I'm a bit concerned about our midfield "possession" passes. Most of time we were going nowhere. If you think back to the NY game (!!). United were not any better than us, but the made decisive, quick, forward passes which led to their goals. Also don't understand why PH played GH and GS both games in full. He knows exactly what they can do so why play them when there are so many new players.

PH is obv a possesion man

Im not into this possesion, i mind Barca having like 87% possision and getting beat by Celtic (for example)

I agree Blue4 that our passing in midfield doesnt hurt teams... its neat n tidy but its not ruthless , it doesnt scare other teams

We need a player to do things out the ordinary.

I mind listening to Gary Neville (BEST PUNDIT OUT THERE)  He wasnt happy with Man utd play saying it was aw to nice n neat and not effective n that it needs a player to stand up pick out passes take risks etc - we need that

Tho why we havent got proper wide players i will never understand

The way I see it is that teams like us need a Plan B when Plan A isn't working, like us using the narrow side of things against big hammer throwers like the fermers and to an extent County ect.. We need to spread the play and open it up a bit against those are stuffy those who have big men at the back and pack the midfield too. Early yet to say that we won't have this and hopefully we'll see it when the big stuff kicks aff an after the first few games we'll see where we are.

To be fair I remember getting beaten 8-0 from Walsall in a friendly and dreading the start of the season-shouldn't have worried though we beat Kilmarnock 4-0!

To be fair I remember getting beaten 8-0 from Walsall in a friendly and dreading the start of the season-shouldn't have worried though we beat Kilmarnock 4-0!

Now that's encouraging Peter' ...... All part of PH's cunning plan :)

Pre-season friendlies for me are about building match sharpness and being ready for the start of competitive football. 

The players will not be 100% match sharp and like last year when we ship out 8/9 guys and bring in 8/9 guys they are starting to form partnerships and learning how to play with each other. 

Although it is a results game and it can be quite 'embarrassing' when you lose to a team from a lower division, which for me, is a total different topic and something I feel us DFC fans have suffered with. 

Every team, no matter how good you are will have a dodgy pre-season result that the fans will be displeased with. (Look at Man City last year).

Plenty of different systems and partnerships are will be tried by PH as he looks towards his starting XI for KIllie, lets not get too downbeat and back the boys on Tuesday against Rotherham. 

Mon the Dee and roll on some competitive football.

• Like 1