The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Best and Worst Dundee Manager

Rate this topic

Best and worst Dundee manager  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider the best Dundee manager since Bob Shankly?

• Bobby Ancell
    • John Prentice
    • David White
    • Tommy Gemmell
    • Don Mackay
    • Archie Knox
    • Jocky Scott
    • Dave Smith
    • Gordon Wallace
    • Iain Munro
    • Simon Stainrod
    • Jim Duffy
    • John McCormack
    • Ivano Bonetti
    • Alan Kernaghan
    • Alex Rae
    • Gordon Chisholm
    • Barry Smith
    • John Brown
    • Paul Hartley
  2. 2. And which manager do you think was the worst?

• Bobby Ancell
    • John Prentice
    • David White
    • Tommy Gemmell
    • Don Mackay
    • Archie Knox
    • Jocky Scott
    • Dave Smith
    • Gordon Wallace
    • Iain Munro
    • Simon Stainrod
    • Jim Duffy
    • John McCormack
    • Ivano Bonetti
    • Alan Kernaghan
    • Alex Rae
    • Gordon Chisholm
    • Barry Smith
    • John Brown
    • Paul Hartley

Thought it would be interesting to see which manager Dees think have performed best and worst since the glory days of the early 60s.

Archie Knox for the best in my time and Dave Smith as the worst.

• Like 1

Interesting to see a few votes for Hartley. I love the fact that our current manager is a contender for best Dundee manager in half a century. Just highlights that the club is going in the right direction.

Ivan's vote for Bonetti is an interesting one. Given the scandalous waste of potential I can see where he's coming from.

Interesting to see a few votes for Hartley. I love the fact that our current manager is a contender for best Dundee manager in half a century. Just highlights that the club is going in the right direction.

More than anything I think it shows how horrific we have been over the last 3 decades that getting 6th place even gets you considered!

I went for Jocky as best and even that is based on very little.

Dee-pressing.

Re ivano you are spot on Cobra. I voted him the worst as he had resources at his disposal that no other Dee manager could dream of and he delivered nothing. Yes A number of managers have had poorer squads etc but when you factor in how much he had to spend he is clearly the worst IMO.

I thought Donald Mackay and Frank Blunstone were on the verge of something special. A lot of people don't know he sewed the seeds if Blackburn's title einning side.

The worst? Maybe not result wise but for me Dave Smith. Any Dundee manager who claps the Arsbs off the park after humping us hasn't got a clue about our club.

Best was a toss-up between Archie and Prentice. As much as I liked Archie, Prentice got the nod due to the fact that he laid the foundations for our early 70s team.

Worst....dearie me,l where do you start. In the end Dave Smith got my vote, but it could easily have been Gemmell, Kernahan, Bonetti or Chisholm.

More than anything I think it shows how horrific we have been over the last 3 decades that getting 6th place even gets you considered!

I went for Jocky as best and even that is based on very little.

Dee-pressing.

Re ivano you are spot on Cobra. I voted him the worst as he had resources at his disposal that no other Dee manager could dream of and he delivered nothing. Yes A number of managers have had poorer squads etc but when you factor in how much he had to spend he is clearly the worst IMO.

Fair point mate. I was just trying to put a positive spin on it. 

I voted for Coco as worst manager because he got rubbish results with a really good side. I read that his woeful attitude to training was a running joke amongst the players.

I find it  a wee bit annoying that Duffy gets slaughtered more than Bonetti despite the fact he was clearly the better manager. Bonetti gets an easy ride because folk remember the quality players who occasionally delivered.

Edited by Cobra

Went for Knox as best cause my old man liked him as manager as I couldn't really decide on who our best was tbh considering the majority of my team supporting the dee we've been in the second tier so no had many to choose from, I liked Rae the best out of our awful stint in the 1st but would never say he was the best manager we've had since our best ever team! Hartley could yet be our best since but still early to say yet, this season will go a long way to sorting that out.

Worst I've went for Gordon phuckinggg Chisholm just cause the fact he was an awful awful manager and dodds as his psychic tae.. Canna believe we went for them and admin 2 shortly followed as well. Could have been kerno easily but I dislike them two worse than him.

Ps I liked Duffy as a young dee watching us he led us to a Scottish cup final, to Europe and I enjoyed some great games with him at the helm.. Downside was though, he brought me my darkest day as a dee as we got relegated in 2005 😕 after an utter capitulation near the end of that season.. Still hard to think we blew it big time that season so far ahead of danger to last day despair. 10 years on from that and look where we are though!

Edited by Derrygunner

I voted on who I have witnessed. Although it gave us amazing football Ivano was terrible. He should have done something.

PH has overhauled the entire club. What a manager should do. So he got my vote.

Oh,and Cobra loves a poll llf.

• Like 1

A few different ways of looking at this I suppose..

Could base it purely on the era's that I remember, results or "other" factors.

The worst is probably the easiest for me - Anybody taking over at Dens would need to be truly horrific in every way to do any worse than Alan Kernaghan's time in charge. Terrible times.

The best is trickier - Jocky for getting us to fifth in the Premier League? Duffy for getting us to two major finals? Knox was before my time but I'm well aware of the team he put together as well. Slim pickings during the darkest period in our history so I'll give my vote to Hartley as well.

His entire approach to management is what we've been crying out for since the mid eighties. Fairly certain that things will continue to look up for us with PH at the helm.

Cowboy was manager when I first started going regularly so my votes from then, having thought about it I went for Hartley due to how well he's done so far and how much he's changed the club from top to bottom.

Kernaghan needs no explanation!

I went for Knox, he had an eye for a player, knew his tactics inside out and we played good stuff under him. We also were a team that looked like we belonged in what was a really good top flight at the time. I'm not old enough to have seen the Prentice team, or what came directly after (well, old enough to really remember it), so couldn't vote for him, although I appreciate what he did.

Mackay did seem to have a clear idea of where we were going, and I agree that he began the Blackburn revolution, yet he didn't really achieve a great deal with either in cold hard terms.

After that It would be Jocky for me, but the ups and downs were too wide and varied to really plump for him.

Hopefully in a few years time I'll be putting Hartley at the top of that list but for me this season will tell us where he stands. If he can improve on last season, then he would deserve consideration.

As for worst, well I went for Kernaghan, as even with the circumstances around the club at the time, I've never seen such a less organised, confident 11 put on a pitch and I'll never forget seeing players genuinely shake their heads at some of the substitutions he made during games. Losing at home to Brechin and likes during that season are amongst my personal lows following the club. I appreciate he brought some good youth into the starting 11, but even that only happened because of the garbage he signed beforehand.

That said, Coco and Chisholm are not far behind in terms of complete incompetence. I also think Gordon Wallace severely underachieved with the players at his disposal. 

Bonetti did hugely fail to deliver with the standard of player he signed, but I don't think he comes into the equation compared to the Kernaghan, Coco and Chisholm.  

Hartley is the best manager we've had in my lifetime. But, controversially, I picked Barry Smith. Some will think that's a daft pick, but I genuinely think he had a massive role to play in the Deefiant season (Just look at other clubs who have been in similar scenarios to us - not one has coped well, nevermind as astoundingly well as we did) and in turn, he essentially had a massive part to play in keeping this club alive, therefore he wins it for me.

John Brown is the manager I'd have chosen for the manager that almost made me fall out of love with Dundee, but he did some decent work on the field. The honour simply has to go to the manager that had us finish in our worst ever position and that man is Alan Kernaghan. I pondered upon Chisholm, but despite some woeful management, he did have a semi-decent eye for a player bringing in the likes of Weston, Irvine, Lockwood etc. Coco is a very close 2nd to Kerno but I wasn't old enough to appreciate how bad it was.

The Deefiant season was on a par with winning a trophy for me so Barry has achieved greatness as far as I'm concerned. The fact he didn't build on that doesn't lessen the achievement.