The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Billy Campbell's Ghost

Fairs Cup Run 67/68

Rate this topic

I did not realise until today that in 67/68 FC Zurich knocked out Barcelona, Notts Forest and Sporting Lisbon before succumbing to the Mighty Dees 0-2 on aggregate!

Another great Dees team back then that had great potential.

Crazy tournament when you look back at the results on Wiki..

Hibs beat Porto 4-3 over two legs and Napoli 6 - 4 over two legs before being knocked out by Leeds.

We also put 7 past the Belgian team Liegeois in the second round.

Liverpool beat 1860 Munich 9-2 as well!

Interestingly, there were more folk at Dens (30,000) for our semi final against Leeds than there were at Elland Road for the return fixture (24,000)

Wish I'd been around to watch The Dee in the sixties :)

Boba, had the pleasure of orginising the 2008 DSA POTY legends table, which was the 40th anniversary of that season. We also made the 67 LC final in which we lost 5-3 to Celtic (the Lisbon Lions team). A great night with the players, all gents telling stories from their days at Dundee. IIRC there was Alec Kinninmonth, Jim McLean, Rab Wilson, George Stewart, Jim Easton (came from Canada for the event), Alex Stuart and Billy Campbell (who was quite ill but said he could not miss this, great guy). Dandy McLean was in Oz and couldnt make it, Sammy wilson was due but his wife fell ill that week and phone me to apoligies and he was coming over from Ireland. That was the season before I was taken to watch the Dee so would have loved to remember them playing.

• Like 1

Hibs beat Porto 4-3 over two legs and Napoli 6 - 4 over two legs before being knocked out by Leeds.

Interestingly, there were more folk at Dens (30,000) for our semi final against Leeds than there were at Elland Road for the return fixture (24,000)

Elland Rd had one side closed I believe for the building of a new stand that season.

I did not realise until today that in 67/68 FC Zurich knocked out Barcelona, Notts Forest and Sporting Lisbon before succumbing to the Mighty Dees 0-2 on aggregate!

Another great Dees team back then that had great potential.

If my admittedly defective memory serves me well we had two games against Rangers - 1 cup quarter final and 1 league game - plus the Leeds Fairs Cup semi when we had crowds all near the 30000 mark all within a fairly short space of time. As a twelve year old these were fantastic times to be a Dee.

It was easy to be a Dee back then which makes me admire the enthusiasm of current younger Dees so much more. Not that much to shout about over the last few years. Maybe the good times can return soon.

We always live in hope.  

• Like 1

I remember big Ally Donaldson coming out for the first corner and punching Jackie Carlton hard in the pus, he never came back up for any more corners that night , best Dundee team I can remember , billy Campbell being my hero at the time ,

I remember big Ally Donaldson coming out for the first corner and punching Jackie Carlton hard in the pus, he never came back up for any more corners that night , best Dundee team I can remember , billy Campbell being my hero at the time ,

Yes, remember that well. What people might not realise that at that time it was really new for tall defenders to come up for corners and Jackie Charlton was really controversial  for his aggressive style. Sorted the giraffe out big style! 

Was a really good Leeds side and they admitted they were lucky to win over two legs.

Billy Campbell was also my hero until Jocky Scott came along.

I'll settle on our current team being as good as the 60's one, I'm old enough without wishing my life away.  :lol2:

I'll settle on our current team being as good as the 60's one, I'm old enough without wishing my life away.  :lol2:

Only in our dreams I fear Chomp :(

Only in our dreams I fear Chomp :(

and Football Manager, the editor bit can be really handy at times.  :D

Exactly as I remembered it too. It was Charltons trademark to stand in the way of keepers and generally rough them up. Ally s solution was to get his strike in first and it sure worked. Donaldson was a great keeper for us and was even outstanding and maybe even mom when we lost 8 - 1 at home to Celtic in 1971. My all time favourite dee keeper however was Thomson Allan.

My old man was at the Leeds semi at Dens and gained entry via a rope over the Provie Road wall with half his year from school so 30,000 might have been the official attendance but as always in them days, the actual crowd inside the ground would be a fair bit bigger such was  the prominence of illegal entry (some of our posters today would have a field day pouring scorn on that :) ) and lifts over the turnstiles.

Exactly as I remembered it too. It was Charltons trademark to stand in the way of keepers and generally rough them up. Ally s solution was to get his strike in first and it sure worked. Donaldson was a great keeper for us and was even outstanding and maybe even mom when we lost 8 - 1 at home to Celtic in 1971. My all time favourite dee keeper however was Thomson Allan.

Ally was pretty much the same height & build as big Jack, and possibly got the loudest cheer of the game for the way he dealt with Charlton's intimidating presence....a two-fisted clearance, one for the ball & one for Jack's head....that was the last time he came up to Ally's end of the pitch. To his credit, Charlton just held his head for a minute, turned & walked away, nothing said to Ally, no rolling on the ground. I think they broke the mould after him. I recall being close to the front, down from the Provie steps, with a close-up view of Bobby Wilson never once letting the great Eddie Gray beat him....fantastic defending. 

Despite being a disappointing result for us, it was one of those end-to-end 1-1 draws that you walk away from wondering why you had so few goals to talk about. Both sides were high scorers. We really were convinced The Dee had their names on that cup.

The return leg at Elland Rd was the week after our O-levels, so 4 of us handed in letters from our parents to the deputy head, suggesting that one day off was ok as none of us were going on the various school trips abroad. He said he couldn't give his permission, but 7am next day we were on the Supporters Club bus for the much slower journey than it is now. Another great game, very close, with a Campbell (I think) shot headed off the Leeds line a bit before they scored the winner. 

Re the crowd, one of the ends may have been closed for rebuilding, as I recall we were across from the main stand, near the front, & it all seemed fairly well packed.

Full-time, disappointed but knew The Dee had matched one of England's best sides & close to knocking them out. Out of the ground, straight to the bus, I'm not even sure the older guys got a beer stop on the way home....back in Dundee just in time to head home, breakfast & off to school. Into Maths class, wondering what the punishment would be...."Did you enjoy the game then lads?" was the deputy head's only comment, with a smile. He was a Dee, of course. "Yes sir, thanks"  ;)

Edited by WoodStein
  • Like 2

Ally was pretty much the same height & build as big Jack, and possibly got the loudest cheer of the game for the way he dealt with Charlton's intimidating presence....a two-fisted clearance, one for the ball & one for Jack's head....that was the last time he came up to Ally's end of the pitch. To his credit, Charlton just held his head for a minute, turned & walked away, nothing said to Ally, no rolling on the ground. I think they broke the mould after him. I recall being close to the front, down from the Provie steps, with a close-up view of Bobby Wilson never once letting the great Eddie Gray beat him....fantastic defending. 

Despite being a disappointing result for us, it was one of those end-to-end 1-1 draws that you walk away from wondering why you had so few goals to talk about. Both sides were high scorers. We really were convinced The Dee had their names on that cup.

The return leg at Elland Rd was the week after our O-levels, so 4 of us handed in letters from our parents to the deputy head, suggesting that one day off was ok as none of us were going on the various school trips abroad. He said he couldn't give his permission, but 7am next day we were on the Supporters Club bus for the much slower journey than it is now. Another great game, very close, with a Campbell (I think) shot headed off the Leeds line a bit before they scored the winner. 

Re the crowd, one of the ends may have been closed for rebuilding, as I recall we were across from the main stand, near the front, & it all seemed fairly well packed.

Full-time, disappointed but knew The Dee had matched one of England's best sides & close to knocking them out. Out of the ground, straight to the bus, I'm not even sure the older guys got a beer stop on the way home....back in Dundee just in time to head home, breakfast & off to school. Into Maths class, wondering what the punishment would be...."Did you enjoy the game then lads?" was the deputy head's only comment, with a smile. He was a Dee, of course. "Yes sir, thanks"  ;)

Cracking wee story! Abody was a Dee back then!!