Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Fairs Cup Run 67/68

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Crazy tournament when you look back at the results on Wiki..

Hibs beat Porto 4-3 over two legs and Napoli 6 - 4 over two legs before being knocked out by Leeds.

We also put 7 past the Belgian team Liegeois in the second round.

Liverpool beat 1860 Munich 9-2 as well!

Interestingly, there were more folk at Dens (30,000) for our semi final against Leeds than there were at Elland Road for the return fixture (24,000)

Wish I'd been around to watch The Dee in the sixties :)

Boba, had the pleasure of orginising the 2008 DSA POTY legends table, which was the 40th anniversary of that season. We also made the 67 LC final in which we lost 5-3 to Celtic (the Lisbon Lions team). A great night with the players, all gents telling stories from their days at Dundee. IIRC there was Alec Kinninmonth, Jim McLean, Rab Wilson, George Stewart, Jim Easton (came from Canada for the event), Alex Stuart and Billy Campbell (who was quite ill but said he could not miss this, great guy). Dandy McLean was in Oz and couldnt make it, Sammy wilson was due but his wife fell ill that week and phone me to apoligies and he was coming over from Ireland. That was the season before I was taken to watch the Dee so would have loved to remember them playing.

Hibs beat Porto 4-3 over two legs and Napoli 6 - 4 over two legs before being knocked out by Leeds.

Interestingly, there were more folk at Dens (30,000) for our semi final against Leeds than there were at Elland Road for the return fixture (24,000)

Elland Rd had one side closed I believe for the building of a new stand that season.

I did not realise until today that in 67/68 FC Zurich knocked out Barcelona, Notts Forest and Sporting Lisbon before succumbing to the Mighty Dees 0-2 on aggregate!

Another great Dees team back then that had great potential.

If my admittedly defective memory serves me well we had two games against Rangers - 1 cup quarter final and 1 league game - plus the Leeds Fairs Cup semi when we had crowds all near the 30000 mark all within a fairly short space of time. As a twelve year old these were fantastic times to be a Dee.

It was easy to be a Dee back then which makes me admire the enthusiasm of current younger Dees so much more. Not that much to shout about over the last few years. Maybe the good times can return soon.

We always live in hope.  

I remember big Ally Donaldson coming out for the first corner and punching Jackie Carlton hard in the pus, he never came back up for any more corners that night , best Dundee team I can remember , billy Campbell being my hero at the time ,

I remember big Ally Donaldson coming out for the first corner and punching Jackie Carlton hard in the pus, he never came back up for any more corners that night , best Dundee team I can remember , billy Campbell being my hero at the time ,

Yes, remember that well. What people might not realise that at that time it was really new for tall defenders to come up for corners and Jackie Charlton was really controversial  for his aggressive style. Sorted the giraffe out big style! 

Was a really good Leeds side and they admitted they were lucky to win over two legs.

I'll settle on our current team being as good as the 60's one, I'm old enough without wishing my life away.  :lol2:

Exactly as I remembered it too. It was Charltons trademark to stand in the way of keepers and generally rough them up. Ally s solution was to get his strike in first and it sure worked. Donaldson was a great keeper for us and was even outstanding and maybe even mom when we lost 8 - 1 at home to Celtic in 1971. My all time favourite dee keeper however was Thomson Allan.

Adblock Detected