Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Buffering ....Videos, Interviews, Game Highlights, Etc. ?

Gedee

Firstly, Clever Computer Fowk .....  I am no even sure if "buffering" is the right term.

But what I mean is the "long stops and pauses" when downloading for instance .... ( Example .... DEETV, interviews, say with PH)

If I leave it on "pause" and go back to it after maybe 15 mins, then I do get a continuous interview, with no breaks or pauses (usually)

Before asking on here, in this post, I did generally check out answers on the net .... but way beyond me .... far too techy.

So no meaning to be rude here, but if there is a response to meh query and it does invlve techy questions or explanations to solve this .....

sorry, unlikely to understand .....  eh'll jist hae tae pit up wi' it :)

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

click start speed test just below the two dials that look like car rev counters.

Thank you for getting back Bloomong ...... Result = 2.79 Mb/s Download and 0.79 Mb/s Upload.

Don't know if this helps, but in every way PC whizzes along ...... both in starting and searching.

Use "Utility warehouse" (Rated top in"which" for many years) as provider and all utility services.

Depends on the time of day as well for download speed.  I can get nearly 20Mb/s up to around 4.00pm and then it drops off to about 4 or 5Mb/s in the evening when everyone else in the street starts using it.

Having said that we can download loads of stuff from SKY and usually have 3 computers and Xbox and PS4 all using it at the same time, with no problems.

Anyone else in household using internet at same time you wanting to watch a vid?

Nope .....  Margaret sometimes goes on to her laptop.

But she has strict instructions no' to go near her laptop until she has completed her busy work day schedule.

Also under no circumstances to use use it, when I am doing the "important manly stuff" on the main desktop...(In meh dreams of coorse)

Thought eh wid try the Strong Man Janny Type Approach .....  She has again now stopped meh pocket money and sent me up tae the shed roof again :(

Depends on the time of day as well for download speed.  I can get nearly 20Mb/s up to around 4.00pm and then it drops off to about 4 or 5Mb/s in the evening when everyone else in the street starts using it.

Having said that we can download loads of stuff from SKY and usually have 3 computers and Xbox and PS4 all using it at the same time, with no problems.

I am now feeling less MANLY by the minute here :(

Attilio You can get up to 20Mb/s AND can download, loads o' stuff fae SKY, 3xcomputers working, Xbox,PS4 !!!

And meh hoose is basically situated in the middle o' a field.  And eh've got tae sit and stare at meh miserable 2.79 Mb/s :(

I am now feeling less MANLY by the minute here :(

Attilio You can get up to 20Mb/s AND can download, loads o' stuff fae SKY, 3xcomputers working, Xbox,PS4 !!!

And meh hoose is basically situated in the middle o' a field.  And eh've got tae sit and stare at meh miserable 2.79 Mb/s :(

Sounds like you are with BT? At 2.79mb download you will be lucky if you are getting over 150k speed for watching streaming media and because of this it will stop at start depending on the quality of what you are watching.

If this is BT then it will be DSL (Not fibre optics) and in that case their could be a lot of noise on the signal then you can call BT and get them and ask them to test the 'Noise Margin and Line Attenuation'. Having a little noise on the telephone is fine, but it can affect your download/upload ratio.

Are you paying for a 10meg connection?

If you want to squeeze a little more out of your connection (As the default Windows install isn't optimised for the internet) then download this program, http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php. Once you have installed it, take the slider to match your internet connection, select the 'optimal' check box and click on the 'Apply changes' now. That should help squeeze a bit more out of the system.

There are other things that can affect your internet speed and this is programs checking and downloading as background tasks. You will be surprised how much bandwidth is wasted because of needless calls to the internet.

I hope this doesn't make you feel less manly, but I have a 150meg connection :)

" I hope this doesn't make you feel less manly, but I have a 150 meg connection :)"

Not at all John .... In fact it makes me feel quite powerful and manly now ..... (Even if I dinnae ken quite whit you are talkin aboot) :) 

I will check out the recommended download, but possibly, slowly, slowly, until eh ken exactly whit I am daein..

The "Utility Warehouse Package" which covers, internet provider, electricity. gas, telephone, has lived up to it's "which" recommendation. Very efficient and helpful.

Fibre Optic was made available in our area a few months ago (at an extra cost) and the Utility people did ask if I wanted to change over.

I did consider it, but when I told him I never downloaded music, games, videos, (JustTDB and streamed games) he said it probably would not be worth the additional cost....as long as my computer was fast enough.       And as said already John, for starting and searching the internet .... it really flees along.

If I get mair into videos or it starts drastically affecting the download of streamed games, I will definitely go for the BT fibre option.

PS. I certainly couldnae manage much mair than the 10 meg connection .... A 150 meg connection !! 

Jings John, you must be REALLY MANLY  :lol2: .......thanks for your help.

Sounds like you are with BT? At 2.79mb download you will be lucky if you are getting over 150k speed for watching streaming media and because of this it will stop at start depending on the quality of what you are watching.

If this is BT then it will be DSL (Not fibre optics) and in that case their could be a lot of noise on the signal then you can call BT and get them and ask them to test the 'Noise Margin and Line Attenuation'. Having a little noise on the telephone is fine, but it can affect your download/upload ratio.

Are you paying for a 10meg connection?

If you want to squeeze a little more out of your connection (As the default Windows install isn't optimised for the internet) then download this program, http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php. Once you have installed it, take the slider to match your internet connection, select the 'optimal' check box and click on the 'Apply changes' now. That should help squeeze a bit more out of the system.

There are other things that can affect your internet speed and this is programs checking and downloading as background tasks. You will be surprised how much bandwidth is wasted because of needless calls to the internet.

I hope this doesn't make you feel less manly, but I have a 150meg connection :)

I agree, particularly about the other programs part slowing down streaming. I find anti virus software (well some of them) terrible for it. What anti virus do you use geedee? I am trying my best not to sl*g any of them off, but some of them are awful ;)

Hello Colin' ... I did mention on here around 4 weeks ago I downloaded a programme that caused havoc with my computer,

Took advice from those on here as to how to remove, and eventually downloading and installing "anti-malware" did the job

At the same time I removed a couple of anti virus software (maybe conflicting) and added avg 2015 free version. And .. :) 

(except for the stuttery stuff)

Adblock Detected